Thread: Engine pulleys

My Cars
    1995 BMW 320I

Engine pulleys

Would a lighter pulley set make much of a difference in my cars performance? Any help would be appreciated

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Since your a n00b I won't give you too much shit for not searching.

Use the Advance search for this topic and you will have more threads to read than you can shake a stick at.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Compared to the weight of the flywheel you might pick up a HP or two but that is about it.
    Not worth the effort...

My Cars
    1 bicycle
    They look pretty. If you do a ton of engine mods, and race car.. there may be a tiny difference. Not just a dyno thing, but a response thing, too...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 320I

Re: Engine pulleys

I can't search, my computer died and I have to use my iPhone which does not have a search option.

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by acoumvoulidis View Post
    I can't search, my computer died and I have to use my iPhone which does not have a search option.
    Can't comment on the pulleys but I use my iphone all the time on the forum and you can search just fine.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 320I

Quote Originally Posted by Dunks

Can't comment on the pulleys but I use my iphone all the time on the forum and you can search just fine.
    How? I'm using an app called tapatalk

My Cars
    92 325i, GSXR 600, D-MAX
    I've got pullies and also pretty much every bolt on I could do pullies were just one of the last mods I hadn't done and I didn't notice any power really maybe just better response.
    92 325i- afe intake, bavauto coils, m3 h&r race springs, m3 koni yellows, m3 solid rubber bushings, sparco strut bar, TMS sway bars, bavauto chip, shorty headers, AA track pipe, borla exhaust, evosport pullies, FDK, stewart waterpump, silicone intake hose, silicone rad hoses, alum rad, reinforced subframe, brembo BBK, 3.23 LSD, uuc weighted shift knob, AA short shifter, m3 bumpers, DS1's, TURBO S50 BUILD IN THE WORKS
    06 GSXR-600- jardine gp1 pipe, PC3, RK quick accel kit, k&n filter
    04.5 duramax CCSB- K&N filter, AFE turbo inlet pipe, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe, PPE xcelerator 120hp tune, 6 inch tip

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by acoumvoulidis View Post
    How? I'm using an app called tapatalk
    Get rid of that and run the full site through Safari.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Alot of folks with manual transmissions use a "lightened flywheel" for better response.
    Tbd

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Guys, OP was talking about pulleys not flywheels. Lighter pulleys won't make a difference, and neither will a smaller alternator pulley due to the voltage regulator. however, an underdriven powersteering pump and ac compressor will make a decent difference. Most claim 4-12 hp gains. Anything you'll feel? No, but every little bit adds up.

Lightweight flywheel will make a bigger difference in the lower gears. It's "fake hp" though. All it's really doing is transfering power from the engine to the wheels easier. So if anything your engine bhp is staying the same but the whp will increase.

My Cars
    1996 328iS
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots84 View Post
    however, an underdriven powersteering pump and ac compressor will make a decent difference. Most claim 4-12 hp gains. Anything you'll feel? No, but every little bit adds up.
    Underdrive FTW. Actual mass of the pulleys makes little to no difference.
    Perry

My Cars
    M3 coupe and M3 vert
    let it be noted...most underdrive pulleys ARE lighter if i remember correctly

My Cars
    1996 328iS
    Quote Originally Posted by marineifra View Post
    let it be noted...most underdrive pulleys ARE lighter if i remember correctly
    Yes. But that is not why they perform better.
    Perry

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by 1604169 View Post
    Yes. But that is not why they perform better.
    Correct. They're made out of aluminum because it's easier to work with than hardened steel and they don't flex so there's no need for an extra strong/heavy metal. Instead the pulleys are smaller.

My Cars
    93 318is,96 Z28
    waste of money

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Just because its not as significant of an increase as going FI doesn't mean it's a waste. It all adds up and not all of us want to go past bolt-ons.

My Cars
    E39
    The pullies being lighter doesn't matter, its the diameter of the pulleys that gives you the power.
    Editing by: Blitz355

My Cars
    92 325i, GSXR 600, D-MAX
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz355 View Post
    The pullies being lighter doesn't matter, its the diameter of the pulleys that gives you the power.
    It also has to do with weight the less unsprung weight the engine has to spin the more power is transfered into turning the wheels
    92 325i- afe intake, bavauto coils, m3 h&r race springs, m3 koni yellows, m3 solid rubber bushings, sparco strut bar, TMS sway bars, bavauto chip, shorty headers, AA track pipe, borla exhaust, evosport pullies, FDK, stewart waterpump, silicone intake hose, silicone rad hoses, alum rad, reinforced subframe, brembo BBK, 3.23 LSD, uuc weighted shift knob, AA short shifter, m3 bumpers, DS1's, TURBO S50 BUILD IN THE WORKS
    06 GSXR-600- jardine gp1 pipe, PC3, RK quick accel kit, k&n filter
    04.5 duramax CCSB- K&N filter, AFE turbo inlet pipe, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe, PPE xcelerator 120hp tune, 6 inch tip

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by travis325i View Post
    It also has to do with weight the less unsprung weight the engine has to spin the more power is transfered into turning the wheels
    This is true more of something like a flywheel. but pulleys being lighter only matter for the first like half a second the engine is turning over. once it's on it makes no difference.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 320I

Quote Originally Posted by travis325i
    I've got pullies and also pretty much every bolt on I could do pullies were just one of the last mods I hadn't done and I didn't notice any power really maybe just better response.
    What kind of bolt ons do u have as I am pretty new to the BMW scene and just want to stick to bolt on mods for now, is there anything you would recommend?