Thread: New z3 owner, advice needed

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3

New z3 owner, advice needed

Well unfortunately my e36 m3 got rearended recently and was totaled.

I just picked up a 2000 Z3 2.3 to replace it for the time being until i'm ready to upgrade to an e46 m3. I must say the power isnt bad at all, and its an absolute blast to drive.

I'ts overall a very clean car that i got a geat deal on(has 92k) miles, but I noticed after driving it more the engine is abnormally loud upon revving. There is no squealing, or ticking, just a loud mechanicalish sound when revving(almost like when a car is low on oil).

This sound comes:
    -When revving and revs coming down
    -clutch in or out
    -at all rpms
    -is much worse when car is cold

Also, the power steering seems to be having issue, this may or may not be related? At a stop, much worse when cold, turning the wheel stresses the pump and gives that distinct dry power steering pump noise.

Im guessing to target the pulleys, my question is though, which ones? And also, any other ideas on what this noise could be or if im making a pretty good guess?

Id really like to fix the issue this week as i plan to drive it to OC next weekened, the car is perfect otherwise and drives awesome! OH one more thing, the car came with oem chrome wheels, anyone want to trade for any non chrome wheels??????????
    Last edited by FriedKalamari; 03-21-2010 at 11:53 PM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Maybe a stupid question, but did you actually check the fluids levels?
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but did you actually check the fluids levels?
    yeah, all look good.

Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    Sounds like vanos rattle.
    any way to check or diagnose?

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    if you rev the engine, does the noise come from the top/front of the engine.
    just checked it, it does indeed come from the top area of the engine, you can also faintly hear the uneasy noise during idle...

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Vanos or maybe just a bad idler pully (known to go - I just replaced mine with half the mileage).
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    Vanos or maybe just a bad idler pully (known to go - I just replaced mine with half the mileage).
    +1
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    04 M3 vert, 07 A4Q 2.0
    Some one makes a kit that changes the worn out oring of the vanos. If you were on the e36 board, they talk about this all the time.

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    whats the best way to solve this vanos issue? anyone perform this fix? seems like theres alot of ways to do this whether it be the whole unit, a kit fix, or replacing the solenoid...

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    The whole unit. Your solenoid can be tested separately, but my money says it's good.

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The whole unit. Your solenoid can be tested separately, but my money says it's good.
    fml....

cheapest place to get it?

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    dr.vanos,

I'd verify the pully first though.... $50 vs. $500+
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    dr.vanos,

I'd verify the pully first though.... $50 vs. $500+
    I dont know that it's the pulley anymore. I checked out the car more closely today and it has that marbles rolling around the engine sound even just at idle.

one question i do have though, if i could care less about the noise, any reprocutions for not fixing it?