Thread: Weird Noise (Driver side Rear) 2003 745li

My Cars
    BMW 7 Series

Weird Noise (Driver side Rear) 2003 745li

Hi, When the car is moving a weird noise appears. It sounds like coins rattling in a can. Please Help.

My Cars
    01 MCoupe, 88M3, 99XJ
    Do you hear the noise inside the car? Outside the car? windows up/down? Forward/reverse? First thing in the morning? After a long drive? All the time? Speed dependant? Any recent work done to the car? What does your CBS Data say on rear brake replacement?

Sounds like you might have something caught between the rotor/dust shield, or a loose brake pad. Or it could be your rear upper control arms, or a can of coins lodged under your car.

Just kidding about the last part.

Kyle
    88M3, 97 840Ci.

My Cars
    BMW 7 Series
    Hi, Thanks for the fast response. I hear the noise when the windows are down after a long drive. Brakes and rotors were changed 1000 miles ago.

My Cars
    01 MCoupe, 88M3, 99XJ
    its pretty easy to check, but I would see if your anti-rattle clip is still installed. its a little metal clip that holds the slider part of the caliper tight againts the caliper bracket. Compare both sides of the vehicle to see if its missing. Also, were BMW pads used? Sometimes on aftermarket pads the clips that hold the pad in the piston aren't big enough or too weak to hold the pad correctly.

If you had a shop do the repairs you may want to take it back and explain what is happening, and you want to know if its related to the repairs.

Kyle
    88M3, 97 840Ci.

My Cars
    BMW 7 Series
    Thanks, I'm going to order the clips.