Thread: 2002 530i transmission almost done???

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i

2002 530i transmission almost done???

Alright so i bought a 2002 bmw 530i 2 months ago from a bmw mechanic. He said it was in excellent condition blah blah blah. It was great but i keep noticing every time i reverse and then fully stop and change to drive it takes like 2 seconds to go drive and then it just does this jerk and im on drive. my dads 525i doesnt do that at all.
    So i took to Avus, not the mechanic i bought it from, and they inspected it. They told me that the transmission isn't looking good and could go out in a couple months to a year. it has 120k miles on it only. They didnt recommend and a tranny oil change because it wouldnt really solve the problem. Took it to the mechanic i bought it from, he said he would change the tranny oil and see if it'll solve it.
    What do you guys say? Oh and he's gonna do it for free. Do you think it would solve the problem or is the transmission bad?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i Sport 6spd
    I don't see it being the transmission fluid. Unless it is low maybe. Transmission is probably shot

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i-sport
    At that mileage you should not have transmission problems. I read from a long time BMW mechanic that he never saw a transmission problem truly fixed with a fluid change. I have a 2001 also and it is buttery smooth, no jerks, etc. If your mechanic drops the pan, he should get an idea whether or not there is excessive material in the pan and fluid. My concern is.... If the transmission is really going bad, he surely knew that when selling it to you!! Transmission repairs or rebuilds can be very costly. Did you buy a "pig-n-a-poke"??

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelan View Post
    I don't see it being the transmission fluid. Unless it is low maybe. Transmission is probably shot
    +1, Looks like you got taken by this mechanic. Hope he wasn't a "friend".

My Cars
    2008 335i, 2001e39(sold)
    My transmission has a slight delay when put into drive (not 2 seconds, but noticeable). Otherwise shifts really well. I thought that slight delay was normal.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    New mechanic has a better crystal ball than I do if they can predict the exact time of failure that far out. But they are spot on with the fluid. Changing the fluid will do no good. It will not fix the problem... and may even make it worse.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    took it to him today to get it done, there were others stuff that Avus found wrong with my car that i forgot to mention. This includes :
    Valve Cover Gasket leaking
    front upper control arm bushings are leaking
    transmission mounts are torn
    rear upper control arm dust boots are rotten
    Transmission fluid is very dirty and full o f sediment (We Do not recommend a service)

SO the mechanic i bought the car from will be doing all this work for free, and replacing the transmission fluid.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    2003 530i 104k miles

my was doing exact the same thing last 5K miles from time to time - NOT ALWAYS ! + this is the only "transmission issue" i have
    every time i reverse and then fully stop and change to drive it takes like 1 seconds to go drive

History :
    new transmission oil at 80k miles + all mounts ( was it CLEAN ? yes ! )
    this issue started around ~100k miles
    run TIS to clean all codes + reconnect battery -> this did reset for all transmission adaptation values
    this stop this issue at all ! but
    issue come back after 2-3 month with a new adaptation values

Bottom line :
    I am having this issue for the last years from time to time and i don't think its a transmission failure
    but mostly related to your adaptation values ( see software )
    I plan to change transmission fluid one more time, reset adaptation values and see if any difference
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-09-2012 at 05:51 PM.

My Cars
    destiny
    software update I am thinking.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Don't know if BMW has a transmission software update for this transmissions....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    01' z3 3.0
    Installing a clutch should fix all slushbox-related issues.
    On the hunt for Westvleteren. Have some? PM me.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by illiano
    Installing a clutch should fix all slushbox-related issues.
    This +1

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    Don't know if BMW has a transmission software update for this transmissions....
    sure it has

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=24
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Alright so I got my car back he fied everything. He said he replaced some sensor (i forgot what its called) for the tranny, changed the tranny oil and filter. And also reset the adaptation values for both the tranny and the engine. Its much better and I'm getting better mpg. So lets see what happens in the coming months.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Transmission Range Sensor.

/.randy