Thread: E36 convertible rear window replacement

My Cars
    1997 328ci e36

E36 convertible rear window replacement

I am in the process of replacing my rear window on my 1997 328i convertible.

Has anyone done this before?

I ordered a new plastic window (zip in) from Bavarian Autosport for about $400 us http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp part #54 31 8 207803K

The process is not too hard but the only problem i have encountered so far (i have removed the old one but haven't installed the new one yet) is that the black plastic trim that covers the edge of the fabric top around the window. This is old and worn down I haven't tried to put it back on yet but I was thinking that the new window should include this new strip, it didn't. i tried getting the part from BMW but they didn't know the part and could not find it on their database.

I have yet to try to zip in the new one but it doesn't come with the actual zipper handle so i will remove one that is the same size from and old pair of jeans. The zipper handle does not stay on after anyway, there is a 2 part clamp that holds the zipper closed.

To seal the plastic window to the fabric and I guess to hold that black trim on BMW suggests using a rubber cement, they use Wurth brand. not sure If I can locate that anywhere loacal to me.

If any one has done this before and has some tips please let me know, otherwise I will pioneer this and post my progress as well as photos when i can.
    Last edited by 328phil; 03-17-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: re post to convertible section

My Cars
    BMW 328ic
    Well, first you could get the window from emiata for $129. (ps this one comes with the zipper, needle and thread and glue)

http://www.emiata.com/E36Window.asp

That black trim piece is made of unobtanium as far as I could tell. I tried to reuse mine, there was no way to get it to stay on. I punted and returned the window and bought a totally new top. Cost $400ish from Topsonline.com. Took about 8 hours to install and it looks new now.

Sorry but that was my experience.

Might want to repost in the convertible section (see top of page)
    Last edited by ECUBMW; 03-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Why not post this in the E36 vert specific forum?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    BMW 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Why not post this in the E36 vert specific forum?
    Don't yell at him, it's bad enough he paid 4 bills for the window.

My Cars
    1997 328ci e36
    first ever post, how do I re-post it?

Chalk up the 4 hun to pure ignornace, I am learning. You can yell all you want sounds the same when I read it!
    Last edited by 328phil; 03-17-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by 328phil View Post
    first ever post, how do I re-post it?

Chalk up the 4 hun to pure ignornace, I am learning. You can yell all you want sounds the same when I read it!

Up at the top under subforums there is one for convertibles. Click and then go post your question there.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325iC
    328 Phil,

I have ordered my new window for my 1995 325iC and haven't attempted to put it in yet (only paid $150 for mine with all needed install tools, sorry). I was just wondering if you have finished this off yet andyou have any lessons learned that couldbe shared? I'm a little nervous taking on this one because disaster could be very expensive! Let me know!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Post it in the vert section.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Can someone update me as to the most affordable quality replacement dealer for a 1997 328i convertible rear window?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Two things here, this post is more than 12 years old, and it's not likely that you will replace the window alone because the top has got to be weather-worn by now and is all but rotting apart. The only top you will find is going to come from an aftermarket source, and your best bet will be to search on eBay. You may or may not need the headliner at extra cost.

My Cars
    323i e36 vert, 318i e36v
    Just having gone through the rear window replacement, (even though the car was garaged) it was a nightmare getting the new replacement window on, and in the process of closing, the lower seam of fabric attaching the zipper to the top ripped apart due to decay. Just invest in a top, now I need to pick up sewing in order to get my car waterproof again. Anyone with a good tailor in Socal who can do it, please let me know lol