eBMWParts
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Raceland Coilovers Thread. Helpfull info inside.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P

My Raceland Coilovers Thread. Helpfull info inside.

Lets first say. I'm not interested in your opinions of Racelands. I understand what I'm doing. I've already purchased these coils. And I have done 2 weeks of research up to this.

This thread is for owners of Racelands or interested buyers of Racelands. If you are one of these and are here to criticize, you will be reported, because you have been warned. You will be doing nothing productive in this thread other than post unwantedly.

This thread will hopefully grow to be a good helpfull thread for me and others.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Moving along. I just purchased my racelands. Yay. My sport suspension is in fine condition but summer is coming and I need low. I will be keeping my sport suspension incase anything happens. My 325i is auto and I will not be tracking it. I have my celica for that.

I will need more than just the coilovers, of coarse. My parts list should include end links for sway bars and spacers, and your part list should to, .

Where can I buy these endlinks that I need? Do I need them for the front as well as the back?

Also, do I need spacers? (i'd like them) I'm running a 225/45/ZR17 on my stock sport 17", AKA: no stretch. Where can I buy spacers, and what size would you recommend do give me a broader stance, but not so much i'll be scary close to my fenders, I daily drive my BMW. Where can I buy these?

I will post pics as soon as my coilovers arrive, as well as the endlinks and spacers, before and after, and any other mods I have to do to make things work.

The car as is.

and a nice couple dirty shots for a fender gap comparisson in the future.
    (im so glad winter is over)

A photoshop I did because I'm stoked about finally being able to fix my nosebleed issue.

I'm a picture whore. So please. Post any raceland related pictures. As well as if you have spacers or not, your tire and wheel size. Any any extra modification you had to do to make it work.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by lexoupe
    get the racelands, remove the helper spring from the frront coils, raise the adjusting nut all the way to the top on the fronts once helper spring is removed (this allows you to run oem wheels without rubbing) it also gives a better ride IMO and a stiffer rate up front.

down the road, assuming your financial situation is better or you want to upgrade, you can upgrade your rear shocks to anything you like, and the fronts you can put koni adjustable inserts into the raceland housing, now you have adjustable height and adjustable damper,

Any more info on the bold in qoute? Is this accurate? Any pics of the actual coilover setup like this before installation, or possibly just with the wheel off?
    Last edited by 325iSport; 03-15-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk
    I second the question of which front sway links? I understand i could install the struts, then measure, but i want all the parts BEFORE i start the install. And it appears adjustable links have a range of only 1 inch. So i have seen you need seven inch links, can anyone confirm this?
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    You have questions, which means you did not research this. This does not surprise me because you bought racelands. This country is becoming dumber.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    I'm going to ignore the above post. Reported.

---

bumm, I agree, I daily drive, so I need the parts all together before I dig in.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    You have questions, which means you did not research this. This does not surprise me because you bought racelands. This country is becoming dumber.
    He asked specifically not to post if your going to say things like this. Have you ever owned Racelands? I'm sure you haven't. I have multiple friends who have them, and yeah they are a little bit rougher than most, but they lower your car very nicely and function well. I'd buy them if they had them for my e39....

And the questions hes asking really have little do with Racelands, but more "stance" questions, and questions that are generally asked when replacing struts/shocks or installing ANY coilovers.

OP, I'd get spacers that are maybe 10mm or 12mm, not too aggresive and you shouldn't have any problems with your fenders. You might even be okay with 15mm, but I would not go anything above that.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Quote Originally Posted by legitsnowe39 View Post
    He asked specifically not to post if your going to say things like this.
    Doesn't really matter, any and every thread is fair game.

My Cars
    naggin' wagon

Wheels are 15x7's +20 offset with 205/50/15s
    1994 325is (2006-2010) -- 1989 325i M50 Swap (2011 - 2014) -- 2001 525iT (2018 -Current)

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    SHORT ENDLINKS REQUIRED TO RUN SWAYBAR ON RL'S:

Factory endlink size is 10.7" I'm going to get 7.5" So roughly 3" drop calculated, because I plan on riding slammed. Most people I read buy the 2"-2.5" smaller size.

http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...s-e85-e86.html

My Cars
    1995 bmw 318ti, 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by 325iSport View Post
    Lets first say.

Any more info on the bold in qoute? Is this accurate? Any pics of the actual coilover setup like this before installation, or possibly just with the wheel off?
    I have a 328ic, had factory type 30's (16x7 +45) all around with 225/50/16
    when I first mounted everything up the tire rubbed the coil, just a bit. So I removed helper spring and perch that seperates helper and main spring, then I brought the height adj perch all the way to the top of its adjustment, mounted back up and I had clearance, only a fingers worth, but enough to avoid spacers. I have since changed wheels to a 18x8.5 +35 up front with a 235-40-18 (i think) and now I have plenty of clearance, I may add the helper springs back, but the ride without them is better than the ride with the helpers installed on my e46.
    GL
    sorry, no pics.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 325iSport View Post
    SHORT ENDLINKS REQUIRED TO RUN SWAYBAR ON RL'S:

Factory endlink size is 10.7" I'm going to get 7.5" So roughly 3" drop calculated, because I plan on riding slammed. Most people I read buy the 2"-2.5" smaller size.

http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...s-e85-e86.html
    for e46, there are some great and inexpensive options for links over at e46fanatics, one guy found something stock from another car that fit percfectly and only ran like 30 bucks. dont think for a second you can avoid changing links if you arent gonna drop that low, you will need new shorter links even If you ride the rl;s as high as they go.
    Last edited by lexcoupe; 03-16-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    Went to order my endlinks and thier website keeps fukin up.... grr. i'll call to place my order I guess.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 318ti, 1992
    ALSO FWIW, I looked at my factory strut housing and could see a mark where the tire had rubbed on it. so even in stock form, I had a little rubbing.

My Cars
    328i
    You can also use e36 M3 endlinks, they're about 7". KW uses them also.
    -Alec

My Cars
    2003 E46
    Tagged.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    Thanks for the info, alec. Your BMW is beautiful, it was actually my background for a long time.

Package should be here on the 22nd with my coilovers! w00t.

$$$$$$$$

23-0000129 BMW Wheel Spacer Kits, Includes Wheel Spacer and Wheel Bolts Options: Thickness: 10mm Spacers w/ Spacer Lock Down Hardware Lug Qty: 5 Lug Bolt Diameter: M12 ( ∅12mm) - Most common bolt dia. Wheel Bolt Color: Silver

20-0000140 Adjustable Swaybar End Links - e46 exc. "xi" Series, e85, e86 Options: Length: 7±.5"[178±12.7mm]

All that look correct? I was quite unsure about the M12 bolt diameter, but it was either M12 (most common bolt dia) or M14 (Used mainly for SAV's) so I opted M12. Also, it didn't give me an option for how long they needed to be, I'm just assuming that they will see I'm buying 10mm and send me correct bolts?

again:
    FOR ENDLINKS
    https://www.velocitymotorcars.com/ad...s-e85-e86.html

FOR SPACERS
    https://www.velocitymotorcars.com/bm...l-spacers.html

Anyone else have any (cheaper?) stores to shop around at?

Also picked up a set of lamin-x. Gunsmoke headlights and yellow fogs. Yay.
    Last edited by 325iSport; 03-20-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e36 Sedan, e46 m3
    I have 18x8.5 in front and needed a 3mm or 5mm spacer.

My rears are 18x9.5 and no spacers needed.

I rolled the back fenders to fit 245 width tires. The fronts have 225.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P

10mm spacers up front, none out back.

1 turn from all the way dumped out back. and 10 turns up in the front. Installing the rear 10mm spacers soon.

My Cars
    E39
    Wow, very low.

That is 10 turns in the front? Jesus. You'd be sitting on the floor at 0 turns.

Looks great. I like the spacers in the front, can't wait to see the spacers put on the rear.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester

17x7.5 et41 front
    17x8.5 et41 rear
    235/40 all around

Rear is as low as it goes with the adjusters in; front has exactly 1 inch of threads left.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Now that I have actually seen and touched and inspected racelands I can say this. The shocks are real crappy. When you compress the rear shock and let it rebound the shock vibrates in your hand. And that is right out of the box.

It does slam a car but with that kind of shock action outside of a car I cannot imagine how it rides. For just doodoo slamming they work.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    With adjusters in, as in some people remove them?! Mine isn't even all the way down, and its already so freaking low, it wouldn't make it out of the garage pictured without 2x4's and some spotters. lol

I was actually impressed with the quality in the front struts (for the cash). I fully compressed mine many times, no vibrations or anything like that, they came back up smooth just as any shock would.

The car rides pretty proper, in my book about perfect, stiff enough to keep my tires out of my inner fender, but soft enough not to make the airbags go off. HINT: I don't track this car, so i'm not looking for a race suspsion.

I ran into hardly any problems with fitment. Front struts rubbed, so I slapped on my spacers, problem sovled. Tires clear smoothly at 225/45/ZR17 with very chubby sidewalls.

I too had to shave some off the inside of the rear springs to get the perch to slide in.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 318ti, 1992
    i didnt have any issues with the rears vibrating as they came back from full compression, and i did it like 50 times it seems. I did however source a used set of bilstein sports for the rear and swapped the rl's out. the ride is now perfect for a dail imo, rear was underdamped a little before but now it feels perfect.
    Kevin

p.s
    i need some measurements off a set of racelands

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1425777

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Both shocks out of the box did it. YMMV but seeing 2 of 2 isn't very inviting to me. It looks like a Boge Turbo to me. Or maybe even cheaper.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    Lets first say. I'm not interested in your opinions of Racelands. I understand what I'm doing. I've already purchased these coils. And I have done 2 weeks of research up to this.

This thread is for owners of Racelands or interested buyers of Racelands. If you are one of these and are here to criticize, you will be reported, because you have been warned. You will be doing nothing productive in this thread other than post unwantedly.
    please read before you post.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    I think you missing what I am trying to relay. I have no problem with raceland's coilover for the BMWs if you are just looking to dump you car. It totally works for that. If you simply close up the thread to only those with them it is going to be a pretty biased thread with only information from a bias source. I haven't ridden in a raceland equipped vehicle. I was simply commenting that the rear shocks appear to be Boge Turbos and the shocks action caused a vibration in both rear shocks that I had in my hands.

If someone is seriously considering this setup then a proper thread is a great idea. A thread that has experience from not only the biased happy users but also those that have potentially had problems or did not like them. My DDM Coilover thread/review was full of both.

I will restate again. I have zero problem with Raceland coilovers if you want to lower BMW. They obviously are good for that. If I bought a 95 325iS and wanted to lower it crazy I would buy the Raceland's. My E30 I care about more than that and it has Ground Controls. My 328iC I just wanted to slam it so it got DDM coilovers as the Racelands were not available. I am not 'hating' on your thread. Just should allow those with suspension setup/knowledge be able to help and reply to questions/concerns IMO.
    Last edited by M3Alpine99; 03-25-2010 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    03' 325i S/P
    This isn't really a review thread, this is an install thread, discuss problems we may run into.. I'm not really wanting to discuss these coil overs in comparison to others, or peoples opinions of them, there are around 15 other threads for that. I'm trying to keep this thread technical and Raceland specific to the product and the install.

Quote Originally Posted by 325iSport
    Lets first say. I'm not interested in your opinions of Racelands.
    Please feel more than welcome to create a thread to discussing Racelands on the topic of comparison to other coils, problems, and concerns. I would be happy to contribute positively.

$$$$$$$$$$$

On a side note, my coils are stiffening up a bunch. I've also noticed the front is settling a bunch and will probably raise the perches 2 turns up front. At full wheel crank, the inside wheel has only 1/8" clearance to fender front a good finger gap before. (Tucks a bunch of tire with the wheels straight)

My iPhone rests easily horizontal on my front plastic. The plastic is roughly 1.5-2.5" off the ground.

Daily Driving that bish. IDK why my rim looks broken in the front. Phone pic.
    Last edited by 325iSport; 03-26-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast