Thread: Head upgrade

My Cars
    87 BMW 325is

Head upgrade

I wanted to upgrade my cylinder head for my 87 325is. Am planning to put 272 or 284 cams on it. Do I need to change to oversize intake valves and exhaust valve too. Which is the best cam for me that I can use it also on the street? My E30 is equipped with chip, headers and intake. Any suggestions...
    Last edited by deejayphilo; 03-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    No need for larger valves really. There's 272 and 288 cams and then there's a hybrid 284/272 cam if I remember correctly.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    87 BMW 325is
    Which one is better then, coz I check the reground it seems it has the same result with the shrick 272

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    The 288/288 but prices are probably thru the roof these days and you may have to look at doing valve springs as well. Few people even bother installing a cam in the M20 anymore. Most people are swapping in M50's/S50's for a more modern engine (self adjusting valves, timing chain, 4 valve per cylinder, coil over plugs, MAF, etc).
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayphilo View Post
    Which one is better then, coz I check the reground it seems it has the same result with the shrick 272
    It depends on your purpose.

Like I said i your other thread about this, the 272 is a good cam for cars that mainly see road use and might venture on track now and then. 288 is quite aggressive.

Oversize valves can be worthwhile (1mm oversize) but once you start getting into all of this sort of stuff you really should start looking at standalone engine management. The OEM Motronic will really struggle to cope. Do you really want to spend the money?

"I check the reground it seems it has the same result with the shrick 272": I don't know what you mean by this.