Thread: E Brake Adjustment

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci/6Spd

E Brake Adjustment

any one in here do it before

i know there are several ways of doing it... i want to know the easiest way.. thanks.

Dave

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by dabdibridgep View Post
    any one in here do it before

i know there are several ways of doing it... i want to know the easiest way.. thanks.
    I've adjusted the e-brake twice - once on my old E36 and once on my E46.

I don't know how one could make it any easier than the procedure found in the Bentley manual.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post

I don't know how one could make it any easier than the procedure found in the Bentley manual.
    well some of us like myself dont own one since i recently purchased my bmw. i did the rotors and the information the op is looking for would be very usefull to me and i myself would like to know. so if you could, post the method.
    325i Topaz Bluuu
    Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.

My Cars
    E90 330i
    i also want to do this!
    1996 328i - sold
    1995 325i - sold
    1998 M3 - sold
    1994 325i - sold
    2004 325iT - sold
    2006 E90 330i

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci/6Spd

would you be so kind as to post the instructions for the adjustment you know so much about so that the rest of us can accomplish such success as yourself?

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
    well some of us like myself dont own [a Bentley manual] since i recently purchased my bmw. i did the rotors and the information the op is looking for would be very usefull to me and i myself would like to know. so if you could, post the method.
    To give myself an education in E46s, I purchased my copy of the Bentley manual several months before I bought my car.

Quote Originally Posted by dabdibridgep View Post
    would you be so kind as to post the instructions for the adjustment you know so much about so that the rest of us can accomplish such success as yourself?
    Instead of waiting for me or someone else to transcribe the procedure (with errors) from memory, I think it would be faster and easier to just buy a Bentley manual. BimmerZone, one of this site's sponsors, has them in stock for $79.95. That's cheaper than it was a few years ago, and for the amount of information you'll have at your fingertips, it's a bargain.

Respectfully submitted.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The PROPER way to do it is not really fast or easy.

Typing from memory, so I may miss a step, but the basic concept is the same:
    Part 1: The adjuster screw in the parking brake mechanism in the rear wheel - #4 in the diagram below.
    - Raise the whole rear end, safely support the car on jack stands.
    - Release the parking brake.
    - Remove one lug bolt, rotate the rear wheel so that the adjustment screw is lined up with the hole. This is at about the 2 o'clock position I think. You don't HAVE to remove the wheel, but I found it much easier to do so.
    - Use a flat-head screwdriver to adjust the adjustment screw until you can not turn the wheel by hand.
    - Back off the adjustment screw by three or four turns so that you can spin the wheel by hand.
    - Repeat for the other side.

--- Intermission, go wash your hands and arms so you don't get your interior dirty ---

Part 2: The adjustment of the cable
    - Remove the interior console cover. You MIGHT be able to get this done by only removing the e-brake boot; I wasn't able to.
    - Adjust the nuts on one parking brake cable until you can only lift the handle by about 6-8 clicks. Mark or remember this position, then back it off a few turns.
    - Adjust the nuts on the other parking brake cable until you can only lift the handle by 6-8 clicks.
    - Re-adjust the nuts on the first cable until they are back in the position you marked or remembered.

Check your work - with the parking brake all the way released, both wheels should spin pretty freely. With the parking brake up 2-3 clicks you might start to feel some resistance in the rear wheels. With the parking brake up 4-6 clicks you should feel significant resistance. With the parking brake all the way up 6-8 clicks, you should not be able to turn the rear wheels.

Both wheels are adjusted independently, and you must adjust both the screw in the hub as well as the nuts on the cable, otherwise the parking brake shoes will not put even pressure on the rear rotor.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci/6Spd
    To give myself an education in E46s, I purchased my copy of the Bentley manual several months before I bought my car.

Instead of waiting for me or someone else to transcribe the procedure (with errors) from memory, I think it would be faster and easier to just buy a Bentley manual. BimmerZone, one of this site's sponsors, has them in stock for $79.95. That's cheaper than it was a few years ago, and for the amount of information you'll have at your fingertips, it's a bargain.

Respectfully submitted.

Thanks for your respectful submission and your contribution to the thread and forum.

If my plans were to spend $80 on a Bentley Manual, I woudn't bother seeking out the information I need online; further more, I wouldn't waste the precious time of Bentley Manual owners such as your self.

Respectfully Submitted

Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    The PROPER way to do it is not really fast or easy.

Typing from memory, so I may miss a step, but the basic concept is the same:
    Part 1: The adjuster screw in the parking brake mechanism in the rear wheel - #4 in the diagram below.
    - Raise the whole rear end, safely support the car on jack stands.
    - Release the parking brake.
    - Remove one lug bolt, rotate the rear wheel so that the adjustment screw is lined up with the hole. This is at about the 2 o'clock position I think. You don't HAVE to remove the wheel, but I found it much easier to do so.
    - Use a flat-head screwdriver to adjust the adjustment screw until you can not turn the wheel by hand.
    - Back off the adjustment screw by three or four turns so that you can spin the wheel by hand.
    - Repeat for the other side.

--- Intermission, go wash your hands and arms so you don't get your interior dirty ---

Part 2: The adjustment of the cable
    - Remove the interior console cover. You MIGHT be able to get this done by only removing the e-brake boot; I wasn't able to.
    - Adjust the nuts on one parking brake cable until you can only lift the handle by about 6-8 clicks. Mark or remember this position, then back it off a few turns.
    - Adjust the nuts on the other parking brake cable until you can only lift the handle by 6-8 clicks.
    - Re-adjust the nuts on the first cable until they are back in the position you marked or remembered.

Check your work - with the parking brake all the way released, both wheels should spin pretty freely. With the parking brake up 2-3 clicks you might start to feel some resistance in the rear wheels. With the parking brake up 4-6 clicks you should feel significant resistance. With the parking brake all the way up 6-8 clicks, you should not be able to turn the rear wheels.

Both wheels are adjusted independently, and you must adjust both the screw in the hub as well as the nuts on the cable, otherwise the parking brake shoes will not put even pressure on the rear rotor.

Thanks Nate.
    Last edited by dabdibridgep; 03-11-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    Daaaaannnngg bridge. Mic drop