Thread: Airbag Light but No Code?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8

Airbag Light but No Code?

Hi all,
    Got an air bag light the other day. plugged in my Peake reader and it has no codes in memory?!? Not sure where to go from here. Ideas or suggestions? One of my seat motors is no longer working, so I guess a wiring issue is possible, but not sure why it would impact the occupancy sensor.
    When starting the car, the light is on, once the car starts it goes off, but then comes back on a second later.
    Thanks in advance.
    1997 Z3 2.8, Atlanta Blue
    Bone Stock Original w/ 25k miles
    Contour Wheels

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Maybe a dumb question, but do you have the Peake reader for airbag codes? The one that reads and resets engine fault codes doesn't do anything for the SRS codes.

My Cars
    99 m coupe; 06 m5
    my light came on also, its caused by a bad switch on the seat belt unit. this problem is common with bmws from these years.

My Cars
    E36/8,323,jeep,dodge
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but do you have the Peake reader for airbag codes? The one that reads and resets engine fault codes doesn't do anything for the SRS codes.

this is correct, I had the same issue when I was modifying the drivers seat to tilt back a bit more, I unbolted the seat with the key in the ignition(although in the off position)..........oops!

bag light came on immediately after starting the car. the computer sensed a ground loss in the circuit and I had to borrow a specific peake reader.

H
    2002 Ti Silver, S54 M-Coupe(SOLD)
    1999 M-Coupe Alpine White/Evergreen 1of1(SOLD)
    2000 323IT 5-sp wagon, Alpine White
    2004 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (AEV HIGHLINE)(SOLD)

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8
    Damn, I figured this was going to be a pain. I have the regular Peake reader and CEL reset device - not going to work on my airbag light. Guess I will live with it till it bothers me enough to go to a shop.
    If the problem is fixed, would the light go away on its own, or does it require manual resetting?
    Contour Wheels

My Cars
    E36/8,323,jeep,dodge
    Quote Originally Posted by nedmonds View Post
    Damn, I figured this was going to be a pain. I have the regular Peake reader and CEL reset device - not going to work on my airbag light. Guess I will live with it till it bothers me enough to go to a shop.
    If the problem is fixed, would the light go away on its own, or does it require manual resetting?

requires a reset, Peake makes a airbag code reader also, see if a local bimmer enthusiast has one to loan or use.
    2002 Ti Silver, S54 M-Coupe(SOLD)
    1999 M-Coupe Alpine White/Evergreen 1of1(SOLD)
    2000 323IT 5-sp wagon, Alpine White
    2004 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (AEV HIGHLINE)(SOLD)

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8

Fixed

Update:
    Got a Peake Air Bag reset tool off ebay for $80 and read the code (seat belt tensioner). Cleared the code and all is fine now. If anyone local to me (North OC) runs into similar trouble, let me know and I can loan you the tool.
    Thanks
    Contour Wheels