Thread: Amsoil's recommendation for racing/track use

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille

Amsoil's recommendation for racing/track use

I emailed Amsoil on this subject, noting that I went through 3 quarts of oil in 2 days at the track (8 20min. sessions). Here's what came back:

I would recommend you follow BMW of North America recommendation for the oil viscosity. We have two AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils suitable for racing use. Our Series 2000 20W50 if you are using gasoline for fuel and our SAE 60 that we recommend for alcohol or methanol type fuels.

While I thought that 0-30 would be ok on the track, I think I'll switch to 20 - 50 for track events.

Comments?
    In the slow lane

I've been using amsoil 0-30w for all my track events and have had no problems.

97 SC'd M3

Angry I have to agree, no problem with 0W-30

I agree with Seolman.

It's rare that your oil consumption would have anything to do with the grade you are using (Amsoil's 0W-30 Synthetic).

I'm affraid the same thing will happen with other oils. Have you had your compression checked lately or do you see any oil slipping out around the engine?

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus

Re: Amsoil's recommendation for racing/track use

This is a standard answer you can expect from any of the oil makers when asked what they "suggest" you should use. They will always suggest that you use the "recommended" viscosity the car manufacturer recommends.

If the question of "racing" comes up and the oil maker offers a "racing" oil they most likely will mention they have it! Please check into the true "racing" oils... Racing oils almost always have no detergent properties or mnay of the other additives needed for everyday driving. They are also oftentimes used for engines that have very loosely built bearing clearances unlike factory built standards for OEM engines...even considered high performance. There is a world of difference between a true race engine and the engines we have in our street driven cars. Please don't be mistaken about what is best for your engine just because you track or auto-x your street drievn car a few times a year.

If you have the oil consumption you say you do...there is a problem! I would suggest you have a qualified mechanic check the engine to determine what the reason is for your abnormal oil consumption. It is not because of the 30 weight oil you are currently using!

I would suggest you have a leakdown test performed to determine if you might have piston ring failure and/or valve damage. Also, check for valve guide leakage. Those are the two most likely things that will cause the type of consumption you are experiencing. Again, it is not the type of oil, the brand of oil or the oil's viscosity that is causing your consumption.

Bob ///M3

Originally posted by frayed
    I emailed Amsoil on this subject, noting that I went through 3 quarts of oil in 2 days at the track (8 20min. sessions). Here's what came back:

I would recommend you follow BMW of North America recommendation for the oil viscosity. We have two AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils suitable for racing use. Our Series 2000 20W50 if you are using gasoline for fuel and our SAE 60 that we recommend for alcohol or methanol type fuels.

While I thought that 0-30 would be ok on the track, I think I'll switch to 20 - 50 for track events.

Comments?

My Cars
    E39 M5

Thumbs up Amsoil 0w-30

I'm running Amsoil 0w-30 in two performance BMW's, 97 M3 S/C'd about 390 hp at the crank and a 00 M5 V12, 600 hp at the crank.

The two performance cars don't burn or pass any oil at 0w-30.

I think Bob ///M3's recommendation is right on, you may have an oil passing engine.

Please let us know your test results.

Good luck
    Cheers

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    I will get it checked out. It's under CPO, and I've haven't done anything to the motor yet (except intake).

Weird thing is, I burn virtually no oil on the street b/t oil changes, and I push the car from time to time. But of course track driving, running b/t 4k to redline all day long, is totally different.

And, my car stock dyno'd at a health 215.5 rwhp. Is it possible to have a strong motor yet oil consumption problems?
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Yeah I read my CPO contract...I dunno if they cover piston rings and such(actually they don't)

Yeah I went about 200 miles at the track this wednesday...I don't think I burned any oil.

Peter Hsu

My Cars
    '98 M3
    frayed,

I asked for a recommendation too. I asked to different time to see if I would received different answers from different Amsoil rep's. They both recommended 0w30. Here are the conditions I told them the car would be going through:

-Daily driven
    -Some track time
    -Exposure to 90 degree days for the most part of the year
    -Turbo

I am still contemplating what to use, considering that AA recommends the BMW Synth. 5w30.

If you have any developments, let me know.

My Cars
    1990 325is Spec E30

AA Recommendation of 5W30

I know that Kevlar has talked to the AA guys about Amosil but I guess they are reluctant to try it. Lots of guys on this site are running 0w30 in turbo cars and other high performance engines with good results so you would think they might check it out. I run it in my Alpina and wear results through oil analysis were lower than with Amsoil 20W50 even after running the shit out of it at Road Atlanta last fall. Kevlar, any comments?

Also, I have one of our esteemed collegues on this site, Gerry Miranda, running oil analysis on BMW 5W30 right now to see how the numbers compare with Amsoil 0w30. I'll post the results when they are available.

Don

www.lubedealer.com/dstevens

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Don,

Please do supply that info when you have it available, if not PM me or email me it, I would really appreciate it.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Re: AA Recommendation of 5W30

Originally posted by Don Stevens
    I know that Kevlar has talked to the AA guys about Amosil but I guess they are reluctant to try it. Lots of guys on this site are running 0w30 in turbo cars and other high performance engines with good results so you would think they might check it out. I run it in my Alpina and wear results through oil analysis were lower than with Amsoil 20W50 even after running the shit out of it at Road Atlanta last fall. Kevlar, any comments?
    Here's the deal... Amsoil 0W-30 is great stuff. The guys at AA like the Amsoil 0W-30 but they are reluctant to jump on the band wagon because their customers don't like the idea of paying $8/qt for oil. They use redline 5W-30 or the BMW synthetic 5W-30 in the cars.

The Amsoil's 0W-30 will provide the same protection at operating temperature... probably even more protection because it is a full synthetic blend. According to Bob's tests from before ( http://********************/kevin/amsoilstudy.cfm ) it protects/performs better.

If anything, I believe the majority of the reason for burning oil was the constant high rpms. When I did six 1 minute runs at the auto-x, I burned about a half a quart of oil... but that was constantly at redline.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

i have an AA car and i run Asoil 0-30 and everyone knows how gently i drive my car...hehe full blast or stopped all the time.
    oh yeah,, i do behave when i'm on a date, but other than that
    it's foot to the floor for me.
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3
    11.679 @ 118.79 1/4 mile 11/20/2004
    Daily Driven, Stock Looking

My Cars
    1990 325is Spec E30

Re: Re: AA Recommendation of 5W30

Originally posted by Kevlar

Here's the deal... Amsoil 0W-30 is great stuff. The guys at AA like the Amsoil 0W-30 but they are reluctant to jump on the band wagon because their customers don't like the idea of paying $8/qt for oil. They use redline 5W-30 or the BMW synthetic 5W-30 in the cars.

This doesn't make sense. Redline is $8-9 per quart....Amsoil 5W30 is $5.70 per quart........The new 5W20 (again Amsoil is the first with this weight as a synthetic) is only $5.20 per qt.

Any of you guys observing this thread, particularly thise who have your car serviced at AA, ask for Amsoil by name at your local shop. Either Kevlar, Jaramil, or I can set them up with a direct account to Amsoil where they can get a generous discount and provide you with Amsoil cheaper than, or at the very worst equal to Redline.

Don

My Cars
    1997 M3
    That is strange?

I ran at least 10 autoXs and a track day or two and I didn't burn more than a little bit of oil.

So that is about 40-60 runs. And it is pretty much at redline.

Plus it was 200 miles at Brainerd...That was pretty much redline the entire time.

Peter Hsu

My Cars
    None
    Frayed, did you buy your M3 new or used?

It could be that during the break-in period, the piston rings werent seated or broken in well enough.

The E39 M5s had a problem with oil consumption
    and I'm seeing E46 330i coming in at around 4k miles with about 2qt low in the pan. BMW of course doesnt warranty to top off the engine oil level.

But I must say 3qts is a lot racing for 2 days.