Thread: tracking issues?? dangerously unstable m3 at high speed!!

My Cars
    e36 323i 1998

tracking issues?? dangerously unstable m3 at high speed!!

hi, i have a 1995 3.0 m3 in standard spec, recently i have been having problems with my m3 pulling about the road (more like following the road) so i booked it in for wheel alignment, one company done this to the front wheels only but it did not improve so i took it to another company, since the second company has aligned the wheels (all except camber on rear left wheel as the bolts are ceased solid, this is still 1 degree out!) the car doesnt feel stable and at high speeds it is dangerous!! all bushes are ok and no one can figure it out! any ideas???

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Is there any play in the steering?
    How are the tires and tire air pressures?
    I don't know much about your car, just figured I'd give your thread a bump to the top.
    Tbd

My Cars
    E90 Sport
    I remember there was a time when my car was unstable especially at high speeds.
    turned out that #3 was worn out.

My Cars
    e39sport,e36ic/5,e30eta
    I bet you it's your RTAB's, If they are busted you'll have tons of play. I had the same issue, and new Poly Bushings put me back in the game. 4 wheel alignment must come after.
    Last edited by Brewtech; 03-05-2010 at 08:46 PM.

My Cars
    e36 323i 1998
    just an update, i have just replaced the rtab today and still have the same issues, i noticed my top mounts are worn slightly maybe this could be causing it???? i will also try number 3's as suggested thanks!!!

oh and tires are new toyo proxes tr1 on rear (only noticed the problem around the time the tires were fitted but fitters say they are ok) and year old eagle f1's on the front all pressures are ok.

thanks for all the help guys

oh also whats #3 called?? there is a small amount of play in the steering but it is a 15 year old car so i guess there would be a bit????
    Last edited by danbmwm3; 03-14-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36-328is
    i dont think the mounts would have much affect on the unstable speeds its probably bushings

My Cars
    1997 E36 (Euro) M3
    I had the exact same problem right after my tires to a wrong type. Did you change your tires recently ? What's the type, age and model of tires?

My Cars
    e36 323i 1998
    yeah rear tires were done about 3 weeks ago, they are brand new toyo proxes tr1 245 40 17, could this be the cause?? im planning on changing my rear subframe bushes this weekend so it would be good if i dont have to!

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    I'd be looking at getting the same tires all around. Used to be you couldn't tell the difference. These days with high performance tires, the fronts and rears may have different handling characteristics causing problems.
    I just had a problem on my wife's car, she had Michelin PSAS all around and I added just 2 snow tires Michelin Xice. Handling was scary, I bought 2 more and it was fine this year.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I speak from experience its more then likely the alignment. I played games with several shops and they never got it right.I finally went to BMW and it was a totally new car. They set it up right, used weights to simulate down force during the alignment. I may be wrong but it sounds just like my 1998 M3

My Cars
    1997 E36 (Euro) M3
    Quote Originally Posted by danbmwm3 View Post
    yeah rear tires were done about 3 weeks ago, they are brand new toyo proxes tr1 245 40 17, could this be the cause?? im planning on changing my rear subframe bushes this weekend so it would be good if i dont have to!
    Man, stopping wasting money on suspension .. it's the tires for sure. Try to use any 4 sets of tires even for a test (from a friend or your old tires or whatever) and the problem will disappear. This design of tires is the worst for our cars, I can only use them on Autocross tracks (High grip but low speeds) or in wet conditions. I'm speaking from experience, I had this problem in two separate cars, changing the tires solved the problem.

In general, don't try to buy a tire with this design (arrows or trees things in the middle) as they all cause the same symptoms.. all of them their Grip cause pulling the car behind the road!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I really dont think hes wasteing money on suspension parts. Its all stuff that would need replacement anyways. It maybe the tires but it just sounds like what I had gone through

My Cars
    1997 E36 (Euro) M3
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7rhitch View Post
    I really dont think hes wasteing money on suspension parts. Its all stuff that would need replacement anyways. It maybe the tires but it just sounds like what I had gone through
    I understand, I mean suspension is not the cause of this for sure.

My Cars
    e36 323i 1998
    i have two rear tires coming i am going to try them tommorow or thursday and il let you all know the results!!

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Let us know the results.I am interested to see the out come right or wrong.

My Cars
    1997 E36 (Euro) M3
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7rhitch View Post
    Let us know the results.I am interested to see the out come right or wrong.
    +1

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    My '78 is off about 1 degree on left rear arm bushings (toe-in). I tow-in the front alignment about 1/4 of a turn more than specs on the tie-rods, on each front, to compensate for the rear alignment. Has worked good so far. I don't let the shops align it because of the rear not being adjustable.
    Tbd

My Cars
    e36 323i 1998
    changed the wheels to a spare set and got to 145 on my private road of course where as before couldnt get over 100 without nearly being pulled into a barrier!!

Cheers guys for all your ideas and help cause i prob wouldnt have tried swapping wheels if war had not said about it, i think people should be warned about this, now i need to try and get a refund on these and decide on some other tires!!

My Cars
    92 325i, GSXR 600, D-MAX
    Glad this all worked out for you I never would have guessed tires
    92 325i- afe intake, bavauto coils, m3 h&r race springs, m3 koni yellows, m3 solid rubber bushings, sparco strut bar, TMS sway bars, bavauto chip, shorty headers, AA track pipe, borla exhaust, evosport pullies, FDK, stewart waterpump, silicone intake hose, silicone rad hoses, alum rad, reinforced subframe, brembo BBK, 3.23 LSD, uuc weighted shift knob, AA short shifter, m3 bumpers, DS1's, TURBO S50 BUILD IN THE WORKS
    06 GSXR-600- jardine gp1 pipe, PC3, RK quick accel kit, k&n filter
    04.5 duramax CCSB- K&N filter, AFE turbo inlet pipe, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe, PPE xcelerator 120hp tune, 6 inch tip

My Cars
    1997 E36 (Euro) M3

Thumbs up

changed the wheels to a spare set and got to 145 on my private road of course where as before couldnt get over 100 without nearly being pulled into a barrier!!

Cheers guys for all your ideas and help cause i prob wouldnt have tried swapping wheels if war had not said about it, i think people should be warned about this, now i need to try and get a refund on these and decide on some other tires!!
    Type and design of Tires makes a hell of difference.. and those tires looks cool .. but acts bad..

Glad to help .. Enjoy your ride

Try this tire decision guide, maybe it helps: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/MenuServlet?search=tdg

Cheers

My Cars
    E39
    Control Arms, worn ball joints??
    Editing by: Blitz355

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Must be nice to have your own private road to do 145
    Tbd

My Cars
    e36 323i 1998
    yeah my 'private' road im off to pick some tires today cant wait to get my car back on the road with 4 matching wheels!!!