Thread: New paint peeling after pressure washing

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5, '98 SL500

New paint peeling after pressure washing

Hey everyone,

I picked up my car from paint two weeks ago and decided to give it a wash yesterday. I used my gutless greenworks pressure washer - as I have done for years on all my cars - and began rinsing. When I got to the edge of the hood, paint chips immediately started flaking off and then peeled like onion skin.

I have been on the customer side of paintwork - from minor to full resprays - and never had an issue with pressure washing; especially with my puny electric machine. This is the painter’s second go at the job after the first spray was equally as brittle albeit nothing this egregious… only a front end full of chips after 2,000 miles.

What do you all think? Is this my fault? If not, what do you think has caused this type of paint failure?

Thanks,

Hooty

Last edited by Hooty; 04-04-2022 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Assuming the bodyshop prepped and painted it correctly, you made a cardinal sin by washing what is essentially fresh paint. Even the fine print from their invoice would likely instruct you not to wash it for at least a month until everything is fully outgassed and cured. Above all you used a pressure washer and would be cause enough not for them to warranty the work

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    Assuming the bodyshop prepped and painted it correctly, you made a cardinal sin by washing what is essentially fresh paint. Even the fine print from their invoice would likely instruct you not to wash it for at least a month until everything is fully outgassed and cured. Above all you used a pressure washer and would be cause enough not for them to warranty the work
    Wrong, Stephen.

This is the result of poor prep/paint. Take it back.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Wrong, Stephen.

This is the result of poor prep/paint. Take it back.
    Absolutely agree ... no way paint should peel like that from the primer!
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    That's some seriously bad work there.. Take it back to the guy, and hope he does better.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I would ask for my money back to go elsewhere.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Hopefully you can get a refund, as I wouldn't want to have the same person repaint it.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Seems like the guy screwed it up twice, even when given a chance to fix it. Get your money back.

How much did you spend on the paint job? Was it a full respray w/ window and trim removed?
    I’d be worried they screwed something else up when reinstalling trim or windows, if those were removed.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5, '98 SL500
    Thank you all for your responses. The shop offered to fix the hood if I pay for materials but will not issue a refund.

By any chance does anyone know of a shop that might agree to attest (for a consulting fee, of course) to the poor quality of work?

Looks like I’m going the legal route.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooty View Post
    Thank you all for your responses. The shop offered to fix the hood if I pay for materials but will not issue a refund.

By any chance does anyone know of a shop that might agree to attest (for a consulting fee, of course) to the poor quality of work?

If you paid with a credit card, you could also see if you have protection. Those are usually capped to something around $2-$5k. Maybe higher if it’s an AMEX.

I also wonder if you can go through insurance for this. Your insurance carrier might have a shop you can take the car to that can verify this was damage caused by poor workmanship. Especially if the shop that did the paint job admitted it’s their mistake since they’re willing to redo the work, you def have a leg to stand on. You might have to pay a deductible but at least the legal mess is off your plate.
    Last edited by Tom44; 04-22-2022 at 10:45 AM.

My Cars
    S54 E36

If you haven't already, start getting copies of everything in writing. You're going to need it.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    All that said, who the hell pressure washes their car's body panels, and why? That seems like a clearly bad idea, except for a foam canon.

I do pressure wash my wheels, especially the inner barrels, because brake dust. My 1500 psi (?) Ryobi electric does a good job on that and causes no damage, but even if it didn't it's not too expensive to get a wheel refinished.

Neil

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    All that said, who the hell pressure washes their car's body panels, and why? That seems like a clearly bad idea, except for a foam canon.

I do pressure wash my wheels, especially the inner barrels, because brake dust. My 1500 psi (?) Ryobi electric does a good job on that and causes no damage, but even if it didn't it's not too expensive to get a wheel refinished.

Neil
    EVERYONE with half a sense for detailing?!? There's no need to make him feel like he's doing something wrong. He's not. There's ZERO issue using a pressure washer.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2

The shop offered to fix the hood if I pay for materials but will not issue a refund.

How do they justify not refunding you if they admit their mistake by offering to fix if you pay material cost? Do they think they're doing you a favor?
    Last edited by samy01; 04-25-2022 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    you can see the primer there and it appears it was not sanded down with 400 grit, that is required for new paint to adhere properly

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Neil
    Who the hell doesn't pressure wash their cars is a more reasonable question.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring