Thread: ABS Module Wrap

My Cars
    335i with N54

ABS Module Wrap

Would wrapping the ABS module with an insulation material help prevent the ABS module failure?
    E21, E30, E36, S52, E39, E70/E90.....

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I believe so. I think there's a heatshield you can purchase but I'm not positive.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    seems to me like it would. modules fail due to broken solder connections, solder connections break over time due to intense heat. in all e39's the dsc/abs module sits directly on the headers - lots of heat.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    The short, curt, raw answer is "No".

My car has a heat shield...and my ABS Module failed and how did it fail? I drove over a HUGE MOFO speed bump at .00000003 miles per hour and the speed bump was so MOFO HUGE that when I came off it...BAM WAP KABOOM, my front end cried out like a thirsty Jawa at a strip club on Tatooine and instantly my ABS Module went fubar...the dreaded lights came on my dash and I was effed. In other words SHOCK/VIBRATION are equal enemies to your ABS as would be TEMPERATURE. In fact I'd say vibration is THE enemy.

And so my ABS Padawan, I recommend you do this...REPLACE the rubber grommets the ABS Module is mounted to. Oh we sit on that wall in cocktail parties denying the f-a-c-t that ALL BMW rubber is rotten by 75K miles (engine mounts, tranny mounts) and yet we leave Mr. ABS all alone and overlook him.

The rubber grommets are CHEAP! Replace them, order from www.eactuning.com, make a DIY and know that you've done a MAJOR service to your ABS' health imho. Also, don't put Bavauto Springs in your car mated with Bilstein Sports...this places your ABS' health in jeopardy as I now know.

I don't believe a heat shield would make 50% improvement in protecting your ABS, but I do believe new grommets/mounts for the ABS do make a massive improvement.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    do yo have the oem heat shield? because that does not even cover the module.

But I agree, new grommets are also top priority.

My Cars
    97' M3 coupe
    ive been trying to find the part number for the heat sheild. and +1 on the new rubber idea
    sig12 by Devo325, on Flickr

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    The short, curt, raw answer is "No".

My car has a heat shield...and my ABS Module failed and how did it fail? I drove over a HUGE MOFO speed bump at .00000003 miles per hour and the speed bump was so MOFO HUGE that when I came off it...BAM WAP KABOOM, my front end cried out like a thirsty Jawa at a strip club on Tatooine and instantly my ABS Module went fubar...the dreaded lights came on my dash and I was effed. In other words SHOCK/VIBRATION are equal enemies to your ABS as would be TEMPERATURE. In fact I'd say vibration is THE enemy.

And so my ABS Padawan, I recommend you do this...REPLACE the rubber grommets the ABS Module is mounted to. Oh we sit on that wall in cocktail parties denying the f-a-c-t that ALL BMW rubber is rotten by 75K miles (engine mounts, tranny mounts) and yet we leave Mr. ABS all alone and overlook him.

The rubber grommets are CHEAP! Replace them, order from www.eactuning.com, make a DIY and know that you've done a MAJOR service to your ABS' health imho. Also, don't put Bavauto Springs in your car mated with Bilstein Sports...this places your ABS' health in jeopardy as I now know.

I don't believe a heat shield would make 50% improvement in protecting your ABS, but I do believe new grommets/mounts for the ABS do make a massive improvement.
    Keith,

I was unaware of a vibration issue as a cause of ABS Module failure. Do you have any other supporting evidence other than your own experience?

My Cars
    03' M5
    I was thinking about making a custom one out of either aluminum and paint it black or polished stainless and have it spaced off a bit, if i get some time this week il cut one out on the cnc plasma table and see how it looks

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Keith,

I was unaware of a vibration issue as a cause of ABS Module failure. Do you have any other supporting evidence other than your own experience?
    solder connections don't take kindly to vibrations or heat over long periods of time.

My Cars
    1999 528i touring, 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Would wrapping the ABS module with an insulation material help prevent the ABS module failure?
    I believe I see a temperature related affect on my ABS module. I have a working speedo/odometer when I leave the house in the morning but it cuts out when I shut the engine off to take my son into the day care or if I sit at a light for a minute. In the summer once the speedo stops working that is it for the day. But this winter the speedo works again after the car sits in the cold for a few hours.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    pray to the bmw lords your module comes back to life, it worked for me!!!

My Cars
    1999 528i
    You need something like 700 degrees to soften solder, so unless your engine compartment is on fire I don't think heat is the cause of module failure.
    It makes more sense to me that repeated vibration shakes the soldered connections loose. Age also causes connections to weaken. My '99 528i is 11 years old with 179,000 mi and a broken module attests to that theory.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by 76papa View Post
    You need something like 700 degrees to soften solder, so unless your engine compartment is on fire I don't think heat is the cause of module failure.
    It makes more sense to me that repeated vibration shakes the soldered connections loose. Age also causes connections to weaken. My '99 528i is 11 years old with 179,000 mi and a broken module attests to that theory.
    Vibration
    Time
    Heat
    Cold
    Moisture

It's amazing we really landed on the moon. Seriously, that piece of crap lunar module and it's Made by Radio Shack contents.. I stand by my gut, vibration is the devil for the ABS Module. Time, heat, cold, moisture all play a roll and have thorns, but the devil's trident is vibration. I may include this in a chapter of my autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbos1 View Post
    I believe I see a temperature related affect on my ABS module. I have a working speedo/odometer when I leave the house in the morning but it cuts out when I shut the engine off to take my son into the day care or if I sit at a light for a minute. In the summer once the speedo stops working that is it for the day. But this winter the speedo works again after the car sits in the cold for a few hours.
    You need a new module from www.eactuning.com

See my thread 'Winner Winner Chicken Dinner':

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1154808
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-24-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by 76papa View Post
    I think the M62s get close to that temperature.

The solder may not get hot enough to melt/soften, but the constant variations in temp. could certainly cause the solder points to fail.
    I think Keith is right about the vibration being the ultimate reason for module malfunction. Looks like some new grommets are in order since my unit showed failure signs last winter.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-24-2010 at 01:13 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    I think the M62s get close to that temperature.

The solder may not get hot enough to melt/soften, but the constant variations in temp. could certainly cause the solder points to fail.
    I think Keith is right about the vibration being the ultimate reason for module malfunction. Looks like some new grommets are in order since my unit showed failure signs last winter.
    During this Spring or Summer's Fort Lee I Hate New Jersey For All It's Worth BMW Meet, I will bring some prizes. Last year Orxan won for "Best Suspension Mod to aTan/Sheer-Colored e39" he won a beefy Craftsman pry bar (one he and we would actually use). His award still remains in my trunk as I haven't seen him. There may be a prize for Best e39 ABS Module Mod and the winner shall receive new rubber grommets (or a gift certificate to www.eactuning.com where they can obtain new ABS Module grommets)...I don't want to be the only one out there whose replaced the ABS' grommets. Quint was right, there were too many chiefs on that island, but I don't believe there are enough e39 owners replacing these important grommets which shrink over time and allow the module to bounce around. I would rather spend $15.00 and fifteen minutes replacing those grommets than having someone install a new heat shield for free.

cliffnotes = Drive to NJ, hate everything in site, except the cool e39 drivers, their cars, Gumbi's hawt wife and the egg rolls and win some ABS Module grommets.

Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-24-2010 at 02:45 PM.

My Cars
    03 530i,2006 e66 750li
    The heat shield theory HAS worked for me.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I was searching for that piece of isolation too. My ABS/DSC failed after almost 17 years. It was perhaps one of the very few original mechanic/electronic components still remaining in my car. My car is on the 2nd. engine, pretty much every sensor has been replaced, cooling system was all renewed twice, wheel sensors, brake lines, steering pump, IKE, I could go on and on... but the ABS was the one that came with the car. I'm about to replace it. Also got paranoid about the heat, and then I realized that if it survived 16+ years, most of them with the silly viscofan on, a flimsy piece of insulation could have extended, say, one year or two the failure? There's not only radiant heat from the engine affecting the module, there's also the inherent design of the module (large elements that disipates a lot of heat, built in disipators, lack of proper ventilation at the spot it's mounted, etc etc) And of course, the vibrations.

Anyways, I'd love to have the insulation piece part number. It's universal to all E39's post facelift.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    I expected a vid of someone RAPPING about their ABS...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Some time ago, there was a post where the owner installed a 12V muffin fan next to the ABS assembly.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Some time ago, there was a post where the owner installed a 12V muffin fan next to the ABS assembly.
    Hmmm, muffin!
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2003 530i, 2013 Explorer
    So, I know I am bringing up a post from the past, but curious if anyone ever wrapped the ABS module in exhaust wrap. I know it's not the prettiest way, but I'm having issues and wondering if it will help prolong it from the heat aspect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk