Thread: EML, Check Engine and Traction Control Lights

My Cars
    1999 528i

EML, Check Engine and Traction Control Lights

Yesterday the EML and Traction Control Lights came on momentarily when the car was started, then went out.

Today they came on again along with the Check Engine Light.

Autozone scanner gives me code P0120 - TPS Pedal position A circuit and P0601 - Int Control Module check sum error.

Last time it was started the idle was rough as well.

Car is a 99 528i with a 10/98 build date.

Some of the posts I have read range from bad pedal sensor to bad battery/alternator to bad ECU.

First, I'm not certain what this TPS pedal position sensor is called in the various vendor sites or what the part number is. I've checked realoem but may not have looked in the right place. Anyone have a suggestion on how to determine this?

Second, any suggestions on a progression of tests determine what the cause may be, or do I need to get the battery (It's less than 2 years old) and alternator checked first?

Third, any test for the pedal sensor?

Any input that can give me a diagnostic approach to find the cause would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT - E39
    firstly, check that the hood ornament isn't a "T"...

The Pedal is two variable resistors that work opposite (one reads high while the other reads low, and the reverse through the range of the pedal). There's a PDF somewhere on details of the system....

firstly, check that the hood ornament isn't a "T"...

The Pedal is two variable resistors that work opposite (one reads high while the other reads low, and the reverse through the range of the pedal). There's a PDF somewhere on details of the system....
    Last edited by jbrovage; 02-21-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Nope, no T on the hood ornament, just good old BMW.

Does anyone know where the TPC sensor is on this build date for the 528i? I don't find a lot when I search the parts vendors and realoem. Is it integrated into the throttle body, or is it a seperate unit?

I have a Bentley manual but the info about this has pictures that do not match my car's setup.

My Cars
    e36 M, e39 IT
    having an identical problem right now, just had my software updated, and dme ews alligned and it solved nothing...doing research via my gt1 and tis, tonight will let you know what i find...140 bucks flushed and they wont tell me anything about it
    Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty
    while you're at it... get a rusted roof rack.. put a pink girl bike on it.. also put a "Razor" on the rack too... and maybe a WWII gas can(rusted of course) then set your camber to -6*.. get some 175/30/17 wheels for the stretch.. and 30mm spacers for the poke... take out your suspension and ride on the body bumps..

and lastly.. call up stanceworks so they can tell you how "slammed" and "dope" your car is... and watch them circle jerk on it...

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Did you guys find an answer? I just got P0601 and P0120 as well. Car is chipped. 99 528iT

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    03' zhp 6sp 99' 528iA sp
    anyone find what happened? mines just did the same rough idle then check engine light - 528i 99'

My Cars
    98 540i6
    sounds like a throttle [pedal] position sensor problem.

I checked realoem but didn't see if these were true fly-by-wire or the faux fly-by-wire - remote motor-cable system controlled by the DME and the cable-sensor system connected to the throttle pedal.

My Cars
    1999 528iT
    Any updates or solutions come out of this? I have a 99 528iT as well and was having this problem about every 7-8 days. It always cleared itself after 2-3 days. Very odd. Is my touring hormonal?
    1999 528iT - Sport Package - Aspen Silver

My Cars
    1999 528i
    revival of a old dead post I know. I am having the same EML SES and ASC light on a 99 528i 10/98 build date. much looking around and investigtion has led me to nothing. did anyone ever come to a solution on this ?