Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: daily driven budget e36 n/a supercar status? ltw97m3

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    yes sir.
    you will save about 12 pounds if i recall correctly; assuming you use similar gauge steel. i made a stencil from cardboard and bead rolled two ridges in the sheet metal to add strength. made several 1/4" welds ever couple inches going around the perimeter. i used some construction adhesive as a seam sealer is too expensive for me. i doubt your class will allow it but....this project begs to have the rear bumper removed to compliment it; the air is able to release well off the rear tires. i will add a central diffuser, from inside tire to inside tire. i will try to do as soft a release i can to help try and keep the air attached as long as possible. i will use the wool tufting technique to see how high i can bring the diffuser. would like to bring it all the way up to body line but i believe the air will separate well before that. i can and will try some tricks with strakes and fins as discussed in the linked video below. if there is a grey area in the rules and it requires bumper but no mention of holes, maybe just some large venting on the sides to help reduce pressure for the air squirting off tires and do your central diffuser you speak of?

this video is a must watch for this topic; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXni_LUgwc i enjoy much of his content.

keep me posted good sir, you will likely make quicker progress then i but i will post updates when i have them.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Classing has no limitations besides for tire TW.

Will be using dry carbon like the fender cut outs and integrating a diffuser to bolt into spare tire well. Materials is open and so is aero; rear bumper is already cut in half but can be totally removed if desired; will just need to fabricate a tow point;

do you know much the oem spare tire well and battery box area weight was removed?
    Just trying to figure out how much total weight of diffuser I can add without gaining anything net;
    Quote Originally Posted by ltw97m3 View Post
    yes sir.
    you will save about 12 pounds if i recall correctly; assuming you use similar gauge steel. i made a stencil from cardboard and bead rolled two ridges in the sheet metal to add strength. made several 1/4" welds ever couple inches going around the perimeter. i used some construction adhesive as a seam sealer is too expensive for me. i doubt your class will allow it but....this project begs to have the rear bumper removed to compliment it; the air is able to release well off the rear tires. i will add a central diffuser, from inside tire to inside tire. i will try to do as soft a release i can to help try and keep the air attached as long as possible. i will use the wool tufting technique to see how high i can bring the diffuser. would like to bring it all the way up to body line but i believe the air will separate well before that. i can and will try some tricks with strakes and fins as discussed in the linked video below. if there is a grey area in the rules and it requires bumper but no mention of holes, maybe just some large venting on the sides to help reduce pressure for the air squirting off tires and do your central diffuser you speak of?

this video is a must watch for this topic; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXni_LUgwc i enjoy much of his content.

keep me posted good sir, you will likely make quicker progress then i but i will post updates when i have them.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234