Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: daily driven budget e36 n/a supercar status? ltw97m3

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    Quote Originally Posted by ltw97m3 View Post
    no with me just as i would be on the track or driving to work/school or with a girl to dinner in the later add ~120lbs ^_^
    dude, thats just insane. you are the man thats all I can say. I wish I had another car so I could strip some weight off my fat ass car.

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    98 M3 TTS2
    I'd actually be interested to know how much your car has improved in the braking and handling departments, considering your extensive weight reduction.

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    as do i.
    with over 1000lbs removed and seeing how much straight line has improved i wonder if the other elements you mentions will follow a similarly strong improvement.
    i have recently taken aerodynamics a little more serious too. i dont have time this morning to mention what i have done and still need to execute but the point is there are many little purpose built elements to this car that undoubtable(sp?) add up. much like all those little things that no longer served a purpose for the car that only weighed 5lbs or less; after about 700lbs removed one has to start getting kinda creative in order to maintain daily driven status and a budget.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Sorry, but supercars have radios and air conditioning...lol

As someone said in a political campaign, You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    As someone said in a political campaign, You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig...
    at least mythbusters proved that "technically" a turd can be polished to a shine
    -Rich-

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Sarah Palin?
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    ^some people read my posts...lol

My Cars
    '22 X3
    The E36 M3 is not a supercar, nor should it ever be called one.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by typeS4 View Post
    The E36 M3 is not a supercar, nor should it ever be called one.
    youre right....an e36 is BETTER

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    if a car that can not be brandished with such a prestigious term but can eclipse the performance of some lucky vessels(suggesting how jealous one might be that the term be so exclusive) what should one call it?

My Cars
    1999 M3 (Manual) (Cosmos on Tan)
    I have to agree with some other posters here, I'd love to strip the fat out of my car but I just can't...

Are you doing things to the motor like knife-edging the crank or other small things of that nature?

(by small things, I don't mean cheap or easy, I mean the final steps when you've exhausted all the big changes)
    ... and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert. Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Sidewalk

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    no one else needs to mod their car like i have; thats the point.
    the reason someone would consider going as extreme as i have is to try and satisfy a purpose. purpose being to redefine what people think is possible with a e36 in dd configuration; we are almost finished.
    as for the remaining of your post i wont be the guy to go that extreme. understand my compromises with the build are often money and the benefit to be had for some of the machine work and extra little things i neglected will be left out of the equation because they improve the end result little relative to cost. so should someone else be as passionate, resilient as me and have money to boot they can surpass the data i collect for this platform.
    Last edited by ltw97m3; 02-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3, '96 Legacy
    if a car that can not be brandished with such a prestigious term but can eclipse the performance of some lucky vessels(suggesting how jealous one might be that the term be so exclusive) what should one call it?
    A turbo Honda Civic can run 10's at 130+ mph. I don't think many people would consider a Civic to be a supercar. I would call it a highly fast and modified economy car. In my opinion, it takes a few things to be a supercar: exclusivity, performance, appearance, and possibly pedigree. You're future E36 may capture the performance of a supercar, but it will certainly lack the other characteristics.

Here's a fair test: Average people can tell what a supercar is without knowing anything about cars. A supercar just screams sex appeal. Will your E36 have this quality? Or would people take a look at it in all of its modified glory and say "Why does that loud car only have 1 seat, weird looking tires/wheels, mismatched paint, and missing fog lights?"

This isn't meant to be hating, and I appreciate efforts to gain more understanding.

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    dispatch:
    caveat: im not trying to insult your intelligence as what precedes this will be in no way a surprise to you, but it important to highlight for those that want to learn.

well formed argument that exudes great tact; i agree with you 100%. you have an art, and i have little doubt you will be successful as society typically portray's in various forms of media.
    Last edited by ltw97m3; 02-22-2010 at 04:17 PM.

My Cars
    '99 M3 / '92 Miata
    What supercars do you plan on eclipsing in your m3?

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Bf.C has gone "Full Retard"... I didn't want to post, but these recent threads are just mind blowing. I feel this community is just going down hill in a hell basket. Yea, yea, I know it's OT.

Mike... aka Track Junkie
    '98.5 M3 Coupe Titan Silver

My Cars
    95M3sc, 01 740iL
    Supercars are born supercars, not made out of sports cars... if you want a supercar, save a six or seven figure sum of money and buy one...

A e36 m3 that weighs 600 lbs. and has a S85 V-10 in it isn't even a supercar, because its an m3.

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    the goal of this thread was to exploit a certain population within this community; like pavlov's dog, they delivered.

the fact that some people were able to remain objective and answer the question was a bonus and temporarily saved face for this community. thanks for all those that contributed to this experiment.

dispatch's post should be re-read by most.

My Cars
    2001 M coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 View Post
    Bf.C has gone "Full Retard"... I didn't want to post, but these recent threads are just mind blowing. I feel this community is just going down hill in a hell basket. Yea, yea, I know it's OT.
    agreed 100%.

My Cars
    97 M3
    How about a list of what all you've removed? I'm skeptical that you knocked 1000 lbs out of one of these cars. You're not building a supercar, you ARE building an unsellable car. That said, more power to you. I'd like to hear more specifics about what you've done though.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
    How about a list of what all you've removed? I'm skeptical that you knocked 1000 lbs out of one of these cars. You're not building a supercar, you ARE building an unsellable car. That said, more power to you. I'd like to hear more specifics about what you've done though.
    considering his quarter mile time and that he has pulled some crazy high hp cars its not hard to imagine that he has indeed lost 1000 lbs from his car

My Cars
    97 M3
    If you take a sawzall to a car, I'm sure you can knock 1000 lbs off it. Can you knock 1000 lbs off while keeping the exterior intact? I'm skeptical. Think what 1000 lbs means. That means this M3 weights less than a Civic and just a bit heavier than an all aluminum Elise. Yet, it still has a cast iron block and iron rear diff.

Not impossible but, I'd like to know what all has been done.

My Cars
    E34 525it, e30 318is
    I actually encourage his types of threads. Unlike others, ltw97m3 actually seems to do what he says he is going to do.

Plus, his threads are alot more interesting than "What are the best performance upgrades for my M3?"
    E34 525it/5 S52
    E30 318is slicktop M50T
    F15 X5 50i M Sport

My Cars
    2001 M coupe
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6bAZmEEIb0[/ame]

(taken from OT)

hahahaha.
    Last edited by smite; 02-23-2010 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
    If you take a sawzall to a car, I'm sure you can knock 1000 lbs off it. Can you knock 1000 lbs off while keeping the exterior intact? I'm skeptical. Think what 1000 lbs means. That means this M3 weights less than a Civic and just a bit heavier than an all aluminum Elise. Yet, it still has a cast iron block and iron rear diff.

Not impossible but, I'd like to know what all has been done.
    He has cut his car up a bit

No lightly modified M can stay with a 997 Porsche like his can

Just curious, have you seen any pics of his car?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast