Thread: Roady soft top care products.

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61

Roady soft top care products.

Hi

Just wondering what products owners prefer to use on the soft top, for protection and proofing?

I just did my new top with Meguiars aerosol soft top protector, and to be honest, I am not sure what it has done.

I expected the water to bead off the top, like it had some sort of invisible force field. No, the top is wet and soggy, as if it has soaked in. Surely if it freezes the water in the fabric will freeze and possibly damage the top?

Do any other products actively repel water, or am I getting the theory wrong?

Cheers

gix

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8L
    I use 303 fabric guard on my soft top, camping tarps and my motorcycle riding gear.... if applied according to directions the water will bead up and roll right off. It also helps reduce the effects of UV on materials too. I usually apply once or twice per year as needed.

might as well get a gallon since you will find many other things that you would like to protect as well. (its also much cheaper by the gallon)

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...3+fabric+guard
    Last edited by Racerman27410; 10-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    ^ I thought about something along those lines, then got talking to a guy in a Z at the shops. He said he used some camping type stuff, but the fabric felt hard, like it would crack if you folded the roof down. This may just have been because the top wasn't new?

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    The popular option on this forum is called RaggTop. They sell a kit that contains both a cleaner and protectant (that beads water). The other good alternative I've read about online is made by 303, and it is also a "fabric convertible top kit". I'm sure both are excellent.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    02 996 cab, 08 E350
    Yup, I applied 303 several years ago, and the water is still beading up on it. It may be time for the 5-year redo, though.

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Thanks guys, will search the 303 stuff, not heard of it so not sure if it's widely available over here.
    Anyone used Auyoglym, we have that all over the place?

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    I use the 303 aerospace stuff as a buddy with an s2k referred it to me

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I have used the RaggTop products on 3 different Z`s over the years with no complaints.