eBMWParts

Thread: UUC Swaybarbarian E36 M3

My Cars
    1998 M3/4-5

UUC Swaybarbarian E36 M3

I am planning on installing my front and rear sway bars tomorrow so I dug them out of the box tonight. I was surprised when I didn't find any instructions or schematics, and I am a little unclear on the assembly of the rear bar and end links. It seems pretty straight forward with the exception of where the washers are intended to be used, especially since there were 5 (2 large, 3 small) included in the bag! Also, the bolts included seem much longer than they need to be, to the point where I think I may be doing something wrong. They stick out probably 1/2" past the nut.

Does anyone have pictures of their install or any suggestions. 'Call UUC' isn't a helpful suggestion as I plan on being on the garage floor in 12 hours

Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by apex8 View Post
    I am planning on installing my front and rear sway bars tomorrow so I dug them out of the box tonight. I was surprised when I didn't find any instructions or schematics, and I am a little unclear on the assembly of the rear bar and end links. It seems pretty straight forward with the exception of where the washers are intended to be used, especially since there were 5 (2 large, 3 small) included in the bag! Also, the bolts included seem much longer than they need to be, to the point where I think I may be doing something wrong. They stick out probably 1/2" past the nut.

Does anyone have pictures of their install or any suggestions. 'Call UUC' isn't a helpful suggestion as I plan on being on the garage floor in 12 hours

Thanks.
    This might be of some help...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...rian/index.htm

From UUC...

"Installation of the Sway Barbarian

The following installation directions is for the E36 M3 model. Installation of other models is similar.

Front Bar Install

First, in order to remove and install the bars from the end link, you need to put an open end wrench on the outboard side of the link (16mm) to keep it from turning while you undo the inboard bolt with a ratchet.

Second, when installing the big red bushings (that you have lubed with heavy grease) onto the new bar, use a big screwdriver to pry the bushing apart, then with screwdriver still prying, push the open end of the bushing down over the bar until it spreads enough to wrap around the bar. The new bushings on the front are quite stiff and cannot be easily spread apart with your hands. Be sure to torque the end links to 31 ft-lbs. If they are too loose they will clunk and drive.

Rear Bar Install

Put the rear on jack stands and removed both wheels. Look behind the spring and you will see a single 13mm bolt sticking out of the spring carrier. Remove this bolt on both sides. Now go under the car. Remove the two 13mm bolts that are holding the exhaust on at the muffler, and watch out for the clamps that they are holding as they fall right in your face. Now let the exhaust drop out of your way to give you a little clearance. Now unbolt the 13mm bolts holding the bushings around the bar. The bar will then drop onto the exhaust and you can wrangle it off and around the exhaust. Now assemble the UUC bar. Attach the hardware from the top part of the old end link to the new adjustable end link (13mm again). Then attach the new end link to the new bar (16mm bolt and 17mm nut). It is really helpful to adjust the length off of the car, since you have much more room. Leave approximately 8 threads showing in the middle of the link.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Once the end links are attached you are home free. Button everything up and take it for a ride."
    "Copyright © 2000 Chiba Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved."

My Cars
    1998 M3/4-5
    Nope...I have these instructions and they were of no help with the extra washer and long bolt problems. I got it figured out now.

My Cars
    08 Z4M, 97 M3/4/5,95 993
    We install shorter bolts on Olivia. Make sure they don't bind up.

97 M3 sedan - Racing for MServiceGarage in Vallejo CA

My Cars
    1996 332i
    My swaybarbarians just arrived, I am planning on installing these this weekend. What was the solution you arrived at?
    Slow down, turn, speed up - seems simple, doesn't it? It isn't. - Dennis Grant

1996 332i Arctic Silver
    Motor: Euro filter housing, custom oil cooler, aFe CAI, ASC+T delete, Riot Racing BBTB, M50 Manifold, RE trans mounts, TMS solid diff mounts, UUC lightweight flywheel, E34 M5 clutch, Euro headers
    Suspension: Bilstein sport kit, 3.23 LSD, UUC swaybars, Treehouse Racing solid FCA bushings, VAC adjustable LRCs
    Semi-useless bling: UUC Evo3 w/ DSSR, ZHP knob, ProSport gauges, Business CD

Current wheel/tire: Kosei K1 16x7, Continental DWS 225/50

My Cars
    1998 M3/4-5
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
    My swaybarbarians just arrived, I am planning on installing these this weekend. What was the solution you arrived at?
    It was pretty easy once I was under the car. I still think the bolts provided are 1/4" too long, but it doesn't hurt anything. I forgot to take pics but I plan to when I go back to the garage to adjust the endlinks.

My Cars
    95E36
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
    would like to know as well.

My Cars
    1997 LS1 M3, 2004 330xi
    anyone have an update on the rear sway bolts uuc provides orientation?
    just installed their bar and surprised by lack of info on their site and even around the web.