Thread: Cold start misfire solved (finally!)

My Cars
    2003 330i

Cold start misfire solved (finally!)

Since about last year, our 2003 330i was having a problem with cold-start misfires. It would vary as to what cylinder was misfiring, but would normally happen on #5. Typically it would misfire enough to throw a CEL, resulting in fuel-cutoff to that cylinder - a re-start would usually cure the problem. It would happen once a week or so, usually when it's colder (less than 40 degrees or so).

Well, moving to more recent times, it would happen more and more often, regardless of temperature. Car has about 80K now. Things that I checked, in no particular order:
    1. Coils (swapped and replaced, confirmed good spark during misfire condition)
    2. Injectors (swapped and replaced, confirmed working properly during misfire condition)
    3. Coil electrical harness (dissasesmble and inspect for breaks & shorts)
    4. Smoke-check for intake leaks
    5. Replaced intake boots (small crack)
    6. Replaced DISA valve (broken)
    7. Cleaned ICV
    8. Plugs (replaced, all looked good)
    9. CVV checked OK

There is probably more, but I can't think of it right now. I thought more and more the condition was oil related due to the temperature and re-start cure. I knew the lifters in these motors could be troublesome, and several experienced BMW techs confirmed that.

Well, when the lifters go bad in these motors, the lifter collapses and doesn't lift the valve all the way; meaning the cylinder isn't getting a complete air/fuel charge. The lifters scour the lifter bore in the cam ledge, creating escape passageways for the oil to travel instead of pumping up the lifter. Why a hardened iron lifter and riding in an aluminum bore is beyond me - but I know many manufacturers do this.

Moving to last week, I finally disassemble the top end of the engine. Sure enough, about 4 lifters had significant scouring, and 12 others were lightly damaged. The intake cam ledge was needing replacement, but the exhaust looked acceptable. That leaves me with one good cam ledge and 8 good lifters. I purchased a good used ledge ($200 vs. $460 new) and replaced the 16 bad lifters. Using the proper tools, the job took about 10 hours, which is on par with dealer quotes ($3500 parts & labor).

Parts total:
    Lifters - $272
    Cam ledge - $200
    VC Gasket - $20?
    Cam-lock tool - $60
    Cam timing tool kit - $225

Total of about $800. From a difficulty scale 1 to 10, I'd give this a 6 only because of the time involved. If you know how engines work and can follow the TIS instructions, you can do this job.

Good news is, engine runs great in the morning. Not a hint of misfire and absolutely no lifter tick. If you have a troublesome cold misfire that you can't seem to figure out, the lifters are a good possibility.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Nice writeup. Thanks for the info....

I think that level of work is more like an 8 out of 10 for most of us though.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2003 330i Sedan
    Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to document it. :-)

bimmerlifestyle is offline Stunning Individual BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46
    sounds like my car but im misfiring on 1 3 4 5 .
    so yes it run like shit.
    but on the 28th of this month it going to my friends shop, so many things are
    going to be done to my car.
    i think im looking at a bill like 2,500 for it
    and that with my friend doing the job.
    Last edited by bimmerlifestyle; 02-16-2010 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    2003 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerlifestyle View Post
    sounds like my car but im misfiring on 1 3 4 5 .
    Mine was doing that as well for a period of time.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330CiA
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Since about last year, our 2003 330i was having a problem with cold-start misfires.
    Hello.

Was there any symptoms other than the misfire itself (lifters ticking?) that made you suspect the lifters to be the problem.

I'm having the exact problem as you already for 2 years and 40k miles. Mine has though only ever misfired in cylinder 2.

So far I have changed all of this during the two years..

- DISA

- The big intake tubes after the MAF.

- Valvecover and valvecover seal

- Intake manifold seal.

- Injector twice

- Coil changed twice

- Crankcase ventilation system+oil separator

- VANOS-seal

- Checked the cylinder with and endoscope through the sparkplug hole, and everyting seemed fine in there.

- Performed a pressure test and it was ok.

- Vacuum leaks checked with a smokemachine, no leaks.

I cannot hear any rattles from the engine, execept for a few seconds (5s) on cold startup and it doesnt really sound like lifters..

My Cars
    x3
    strange i had a misfire 1-5 cylinders. i bought 10 used lifters and rebuild them all. got 100% working 24. put them in, called engine mechanic for timing. this time missfire moved to 2-4 cylinders.
    i took them out again and all were 100% working.
    called mechanic again, he set my timing and afyer still the same misfire on 2-4 cylinders.
    just can not understwnd how the fuck misfire mowed and apared at same 2 cylinders.
    i suspect timing is bad.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Thanks for posting this information.

It wouldn’t have been my initial #1 suspect when troubleshooting the issue you presented however what you found makes sense.

Very good information to be aware of for sure!