Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coolant overflow tank options

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    It's definitely probably the head gasket.

My Cars
    94 325 is (s52)
    I had all your symptoms (all good except hard use on track), it was the head gasket (s52).

I had the HG replaced and it solved the problem. While in there I replaced ALL the hoses under the intake manifold (while it was off). Also a good time to install a water temp sender into the block to feed a water temp gauge.

Good luck.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    I've been having many of the same problems with my cooling system as fr2000 and with the car going into the shop for some other work intend to get leakdown test and hope it's not headgasket.

That said, I too have had a helluva time bleeding the system - 95 M# with S50, track only car, Mishimoto X-Line rad for s54, had to remove the factory shroud for electric fan installation (and it wouldn't fit on this rad anyway) and THEREFORE cannot properly attach the existing coolant expansion tank. It is presently zip tied but looking for a more durable non-ghetto option.

I want to go the route of the Canton or similar aluminum overflow/expansion tank a la Benaj above, hopefully this picture

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2208/cantontank2.jpg

but cannot figure out why the additional "tank" (i.e., gatorade bottle) is needed. The stock tank has one "inflow" at the top (which is the overflow tube) and the "outflow" at the bottom (which is the means by the coolant travels to fill the system). Why cant you hook up the overflow tube to the barbed fitting on the neck and the outflow hose at the bottom of the tank and NOT use the AN bung/port on the side? Am I missing something? Or is the addition of the plastic bottle overflow somehow the solution to my coolant system bleeding problem?

My Cars
    scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcycle View Post
    I've been having many of the same problems with my cooling system as fr2000 and with the car going into the shop for some other work intend to get leakdown test and hope it's not headgasket.

That said, I too have had a helluva time bleeding the system - 95 M# with S50, track only car, Mishimoto X-Line rad for s54, had to remove the factory shroud for electric fan installation (and it wouldn't fit on this rad anyway) and THEREFORE cannot properly attach the existing coolant expansion tank. It is presently zip tied but looking for a more durable non-ghetto option.

I want to go the route of the Canton or similar aluminum overflow/expansion tank a la Benaj above, hopefully this picture

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2208/cantontank2.jpg

but cannot figure out why the additional "tank" (i.e., gatorade bottle) is needed. The stock tank has one "inflow" at the top (which is the overflow tube) and the "outflow" at the bottom (which is the means by the coolant travels to fill the system). Why cant you hook up the overflow tube to the barbed fitting on the neck and the outflow hose at the bottom of the tank and NOT use the AN bung/port on the side? Am I missing something? Or is the addition of the plastic bottle overflow somehow the solution to my coolant system bleeding problem?
    Because the fitting at the neck is after the pressure cap blows from excess pressure not for cycling the fluid. fluid wont flow in at that location because it is above the seal of the radiator cap.

-Scott B.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Ok that makes sense - thanks. Am I correct in my assumption that this problem does not exist in the stock e36 tank because of the bleed screw?

My Cars
    95 M3 GTS2/ST
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcycle View Post
    Ok that makes sense - thanks. Am I correct in my assumption that this problem does not exist in the stock e36 tank because of the bleed screw?
    It's not so much a problem, but more of a feature. With the stock tank, if there is pressure above 30 psi or so, it will blow water/coolant out the cap and onto the underside of the hood. With the port on the side of filler neck, which is above the pressure seal of the cap, you can direct it to a catch tank/gatorade bottle. I just finished installing a Canton tank in the same spot Benaj did and didn't get it either until I looked at it with the cap.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    +1 for Euro E36M3 coolant reservoir.

We use them on the LS1 V8 swapped E36 cars we build. Tidies up the engine compartment and gives more room in front of the engine (needed for V8 front mounted TB and air intake piping)

As for mounting, Matteucci used the Euro M3 factory mounting brackets, slips and tabs on the tank and added them to the US-spec E36 chassis. Pretty slick and 100% factory fit. Or you could just make a bracket from scrap steel (for the back) and mount the snap-in front mount (double barrel black plastic mount) to another tab.

Cheers,
    11 years later I’m bumping this thread because my euro tank vents a little coolant after a track session. My catch bottle has maybe 1/4oz in it. Head gasket again? Or am I suppose to run the fluid as low as in Fairs photo?

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    11 years later I’m bumping this thread because my euro tank vents a little coolant after a track session. My catch bottle has maybe 1/4oz in it. Head gasket again? Or am I suppose to run the fluid as low as in Fairs photo?
    I dont think you want my opinion. Mama told me, if you dont have anything good to say, just say nothing at all except for that you are not going to say anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123