Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant overflow tank options

My Cars
    02*E30M3*E36M3/4/5*E36M3
    Ben and Co,

Great pics, write up, and ideas! I'll figure out something good. Honestly, I am doing this for an M Gremlin (M Coupe) and need to keep the air pump. I'll rig up something inspired by the Brain Trust here.

As always, I'm not worthy.

Many thanks

I'm not declaring this thread over and out, just saying thanks to all and I'll keep checking back.

Mike
    Last edited by retrogrouch; 02-16-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    what about access to the ECM? Does the relocation interfere?

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    sig
    I think I can but not sure without standing in front of the car right now. Either way, the way mine is mounted, I would only have to undo two bolts to swing the whole tank out of the way if I could not get the ECM out as it stands.

1995 BMW M3/2: arktissilber with silly stickers // a big boy's track toy, #228 IP-lite/GTS2.
    1998 BMW M3/4: arktissilber with sillier pink motorsport flags // sadly missed ex-daily driver, current track toy for the wife
    2014 Tesla Model S P85D // refreshingly mod-proof
    2014 BMW X1 // 4 banger MSport with a kiss of Dinan
    and the obnoxious towing setup to accommodate two little crazy kiddios and all their stuff that comes along with the family circus on track weekends.

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    okay, sounds good.

Thanks

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    what about access to the ECM? Does the relocation interfere?
    I had no problem pulling my ECU with the tank mounted where it was. If anything the power distribution block would be more in the way.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    '97 M3 GTS2#360
    Coolant reservoir or overflow? I use a plastic apple juice bottle tie wrapped to a bracket in the engine bay for over flow. Sorry for the downer, but it's all you need.
    whatchu got

My Cars
    '00 323Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrist View Post
    Coolant reservoir or overflow? I use a plastic apple juice bottle tie wrapped to a bracket in the engine bay for over flow. Sorry for the downer, but it's all you need.
    They're talking about replacing the stock coolant reservoir, not an overflow. Many people upgrade to the later US M20 (AKA "euro") tank but some of us have gone to aftermarket aluminum. Then we all use a beer can or Red Line jug, or apple juice bottle for the overflow catch. ; )

Cheers.
    Jack $

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

My Cars
    '97 M3 GTS2#360
    Yeah, I didn't read much of the thread at first, just the OP mentioning overflow. Did catch some of the aluminum part and I've seen some fancy verflow cans like that, even with bubble level indicators!!!!!! LOL!!!
    whatchu got

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    Specter325 mentioned this one: If you like the stock location, check it out: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1296020

It has a bung in it to retain the coolant level sensor. Canton units scare me because I'll never know if I need coolant until it is too late.

I'd really like an aluminum expansion tank that I can mount in the Euro location which has a bung to retain the factory coolant level sensor.

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc

Thumbs up Trying to make sense of Part Numbers

I guess I should aim this at Terry Fair and Matteucci, since I'm quoting Terry throughout. I'm using the RealOEM.com TIS to figure out the part numbers required. (With the Europe checkbox checked, of course.)

I already have the 17111712641 (Euro) expansion tank with sensor and cap. (The cap matches the normal E36 2.0 bar cap.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    As for mounting, Matteucci used the Euro M3 factory mounting brackets, slips and tabs on the tank and added them to the US-spec E36 chassis. Pretty slick and 100% factory fit.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&fg=10&hl=89
    The rear bracket is part# 41122256492
    The front bracket is part# 41112491298
    The plastic clip part that mounts to the front bracket is part# 17111719190 (shown below)

Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    ...the stock Euro M3 coolant line. Its a formed hard plastic, factory quality coolant line that fits the contours of the E36 chassis perfectly... Slip a rubber hose over the ends and connect to the nipples on your fabbed reservoir and radiator. Done. There are even factory clips and holes in the chassis that secure it along its route. You can see the plastic black tube running from the nipple at the...radiator neck, along the back of the radiator, curving behind the RF headlight, aiming back to the cowl, then turning right to the Euro M3 plastic reservoir location.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...02&hg=17&fg=05

(The TIS diagram shows the expansion tank facing backwards.)

In this exploded diagram, I think I need parts #17,18,19,20,21, 22, 23, 24 (and I already mentioned #25 above.) I don't see the part number for #21.
    Are these the correct parts, and is #17 the hard plastic line that is formed to match the body contours?

Do you order these through a US dealer or a European dealer, or somewhere else?
    Last edited by DaveAZ; 04-23-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Here's some pictures of what Matteucci used in the Alpha car when he added the Euro M3 coolant tank and hose:

We ran the car for 3.5 years and never once did it run hot. Here's the parts you need for this swap...

Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    Thanks! I just placed a 10 item dealer order @ Tisher.

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325i
    so my coolant reservoir just cracked and started leaking.....this isnt a old reservoir tank either as i just changed it last year....i think im about done with the plastic reservoirs....Im looking into buying a aluminum coolant tank. im curious as if the one in this picture will work on my 325i

My Cars
    m3
    Quote Originally Posted by brisbolo View Post
    so my coolant reservoir just cracked and started leaking.....this isnt a old reservoir tank either as i just changed it last year....i think im about done with the plastic reservoirs....Im looking into buying a aluminum coolant tank. im curious as if the one in this picture will work on my 325i

I've seen other people use this and mount it in the euro location. It's not a bolt on part, meaning it will require some ingenuity to make it work. If the outlet sizes are different you'll need adapters. You'll also need to either extend your hoses or buy longer ones, the second option is best. I'm going to go down a similar route soon, except with AN lines, and i'll post a detailed part list.

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    I've seen other people use this and mount it in the euro location. It's not a bolt on part, meaning it will require some ingenuity to make it work. If the outlet sizes are different you'll need adapters. You'll also need to either extend your hoses or buy longer ones, the second option is best. I'm going to go down a similar route soon, except with AN lines, and i'll post a detailed part list.
    im thinking of having it bolted where the cruise control actuator is as i no longer have it....i deleted alot of thing in the engine bay when i installed a turbo....but im sure there will be plenty of room where the cruise control actuator used to be......also theres nomore stock air box there either

My Cars
    95 M3, Ford gt 10GT3

worked out well all new fittings
    http://gallery.me.com/mattgt2/100075/wldrnes909-00872_2/web.jpg?ver=12564358340001[/IMG]

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by 930man View Post

worked out well all new fittings
    nice engine bay

nice oak tree turn shot in the avatar

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Use the strut bar, yo.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    ^ Very cool idea. Still laughing though. Took me a minute to find the fill cap.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    95 M3, Ford gt 10GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    nice engine bay

nice oak tree turn shot in the avatar
    thanks... finally all bugs gone
    http://gallery.me.com/mattgt2/100075/wldrnes909-00872_2/web.jpg?ver=12564358340001[/IMG]

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Informative thread thanks all! Question: I'm going to buy a z3 s54 radiator for my s50 but will keep the stock fan. Can I keep on using the stock coolant reservoir? I know the downside is that it is harder to bleed. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by osborni View Post
    ^ Very cool idea. Still laughing though. Took me a minute to find the fill cap.
    Yeah, the Saab Sonett did it that way from the factory.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    really?! very cool

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    Informative thread thanks all! Question: I'm going to buy a z3 s54 radiator for my s50 but will keep the stock fan. Can I keep on using the stock coolant reservoir? I know the downside is that it is harder to bleed. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The e36 parts should fit right up to the z3 radiator. As far as I know the only real difference is the z3 has a smallish cut-out from the driver's side tank on the radiator. The s54 z3 radiator is supposedly the same part as the Euro e36 M3 radiator.

You won't know until you try. Worst case is you get a z3 shroud.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    '11 E92 M3 & '95 E36 M3
    So I've been working through some cooling issues on my '95 E36 M3. After replacing a radiator (cracked neck) I can't seem to get the air outta the system. I went with a Mishimoto rad, silicon hoses, new expansion tank/88Deg thermostat/Stewart water pump while I was at it. After a fully vacuumed filled system, it still shoots water out when at track temps. Heater blows hot, temp is middle on the street (even rush-hr) and for most of the track. Last laps it shoots out I think from the cap (water spray from top of bottle) and eventually temp gauge goes up.

I'll be wiring in an electric fan but I've been on the fence over the expansion tank. I've picked up the necessary hardware for the canton option shown in pics in previous post, just not sure if that's better for a dedicated track car or to go the E30 bottle route.

The last few track days I've seen a ton of E36 M3s all with rad side mounted expansion tank etc with no issue. One even had a radiator replaced track side (no issues for them as well).

I do plan on driving this car to and from the track and as a back up car. I'm not in any race group but am in open passing. Track temps have been in the mid-70s (laguna seca).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fr2000 View Post
    So I've been working through some cooling issues on my '95 E36 M3. After replacing a radiator (cracked neck) I can't seem to get the air outta the system. I went with a Mishimoto rad, silicon hoses, new expansion tank/88Deg thermostat/Stewart water pump while I was at it. After a fully vacuumed filled system, it still shoots water out when at track temps. Heater blows hot, temp is middle on the street (even rush-hr) and for most of the track. Last laps it shoots out I think from the cap (water spray from top of bottle) and eventually temp gauge goes up.

I'll be wiring in an electric fan but I've been on the fence over the expansion tank. I've picked up the necessary hardware for the canton option shown in pics in previous post, just not sure if that's better for a dedicated track car or to go the E30 bottle route.

The last few track days I've seen a ton of E36 M3s all with rad side mounted expansion tank etc with no issue. One even had a radiator replaced track side (no issues for them as well).

I do plan on driving this car to and from the track and as a back up car. I'm not in any race group but am in open passing. Track temps have been in the mid-70s (laguna seca).

Thanks

Oh yea I do like the idea of being able to see the level with the E30 option. I kinda just don't get why the system doesn't bleed properly. Also, the car has had a leak down test & a test for hydro-carbon in the coolant, so I don't think its the HG.
    Last edited by fr2000; 11-18-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Dinan Exhaust-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/APEX ARC8 10" Square
    1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Coilovers - SSR GT3s
    Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust

Bimmerpost ID: FR01

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast