Thread: Help! Exclamation sign next to "D" gear/manual. Failsafe tranny?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

Angry Help! Exclamation sign next to "D" gear/manual. Failsafe tranny?

I just stopped at a stop sign and I'm getting an exclamation point next to my "D" on my dash board (drive gear on my 2004 325i) it has a ridgged circle around it. Is the tranny going into failsafe mode? I just had my it rebuid in November and I still have the warranty. Please help.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3
    I have this happen from time to time....
    My issue is probibly not the same as yours though... Mine turns on because my Subs in my trunk draw so much power from the OBC it freaks out and thinks somethings wrong and puts the tranny into failsafe mode. Once i turn off and on the car it is fine.

What happens when you turn your car back on? is it still there?

2003.5 E46 M3 - Quad Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Well it did this two weeks ago, I turned it off and on and it was fine. It just did it a few mins ago but this time the "service engine soon" light came on. I don't have a sub or any other electronic on the car. It's stick right now, indont have a fault code reader anymore but when they rebuild the tranny the changed the sensor so not sure what it can be. High elevation?

I meant it's stock not stick
    Last edited by xFrank; 02-12-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '76 2002 Inka & 2010 E61
    My 2003 330i had been doing something similar, and finally the tranny light wouldnt reset upon restart. My mechanic put it on the analyzer but found no fault codes but did find low battery voltage. He went ahead and upgraded the tranny software and replaced the car battery. That took care of it. Hope yours is that easy.

My Cars
    98m395m30032394318ic
    YES. Low volts will do that, time for a new battery. Remember the "secret E46 codes" ? DO the voltage test while driving.
    DO NOT take it to just any shop, or it will be misdiagnosed. This is very common for E46.
    93 e36 vert / 95 E36 M3 Alpine / 98 M3/4 Estoril / 00 '46 Frankenbimmer CI , 68s / shark tooth injected driver bolster with slimline low gloss duct tape / angled front pass kidney grill with custom eject hood release / EE LEDs moisture sealed/ Pep Boys silicone / Google sky point OEM HIDs with glovebox leveling arm after wishbone install / custom BMW round pin diagnostic to USB cabin routed laptop with INPA for constant CE light delete / sock modded / t-shirt mod / clicking sound.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    I just got my car back and the mechanic said there was a short causing the transmission the go into failsafe. They fixed the wire at no cost so I guess I can't complain except for not having my car for three days. However they did mention if it happens again it could be something else wrong with the voltage (like many of you warned) if it does occur again I'll look at the battery next. Thanks for everyone that replies
    to my post : )

My Cars
    "stock" 95 M3, 97 318ti
    Make sure your MAF sensor is plugged in. I just had this problem (coincidence?), freaked out. took it to the dealer, it ended up that i forgot to plug my MAF sensor back in.
    -Brandon

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328i ZSP
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Make sure your MAF sensor is plugged in. I just had this problem (coincidence?), freaked out. took it to the dealer, it ended up that i forgot to plug my MAF sensor back in.
    Fail.

1999 BMW 328i ZSP.Mods so far :
    18'MRR GT1 rims.Muffler Delete w/ dual wal-mart tips.Cross Drilled Rotors.Smoked Tails.Smoked corners.Smoked sidemarkers.
    5% tint on back 5 windows.50% on front 2.GTR CF hood. Matte Black Grilles.Black CF/Silver CF Roundels.Custom CAI.///M E-Brake Handle.Aluminum Pedals.LED License Plate Bulbs.
    M3 Carbon Fiber Lip.Umnitza Angel Eyes.iSimple iPod integration.B&G Springs.

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by DementeD View Post
    Fail.
    EPIC fail

My Cars
    e46 m3,2oo4 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by volksfragen View Post
    I have this happen from time to time....
    My issue is probibly not the same as yours though... Mine turns on because my Subs in my trunk draw so much power from the OBC it freaks out and thinks somethings wrong and puts the tranny into failsafe mode. Once i turn off and on the car it is fine.

What happens when you turn your car back on? is it still there?
    that happened to me to i bought a capacitor and now my lights dont dim or the light doesn't show up

My Cars
    99 BMW 323i
    my car did this as well. I think it was the tail light brake sensor by my brake pedal in the car. The rear lights werent turning on or something and tripped the computer to but the tranny in safe mode.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    hey guys, i have a 2002 325i with the same problem, each time the car goes from 3rd gear to 4th gear after 10 sec the car go into failsafe mode, but if i drive it in 1st,2nd,3rd there is no problem at all. Also at 1st gear and 2nd the car losses the traction power that mean it wont slow down if going down a hil its like driving it at the 5th gear anyone have any suggestion , i took it a to a mechanic he told me that he need to dissamble the transmissionand it will cost me 700$.
    anyone have any suggestion? thx in advance

My Cars
    Touring, and a few more
    Find a mechanic that knows his ass from third base. Read the above posts and have your battery and alternator checked.
    In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci
    Help same thing an I just replaced light bulb in blinkers for back an front on left side an today that showed up little explanation next to Drive I had an automatic an it still shows my lights are out on dash as well an now blinker don't work still

My Cars
    2004 bmw 325i

Same issue

[QUOTE=xFrank;18662240]I just stopped at a stop sign and I'm getting an exclamation point next to my "D" on my dash board (drive gear on my 2004 325i) it has a ridgged circle around it. Is the tranny going into failsafe mode? I just had my it rebuid in November and I still have the warranty. Please help.[/QUOTE

Same issues except my brake light my abs light the A wth a circle round it turns. N wen i turn off the car it doesnt turn bak on i have to recharge the battery in order for it. To turn bak on idk wat it could be

My Cars
    325i 2004 convertible
    Hey people did you get to the bottom of the transmission issue with the 325? I have a 2004 one and it's started to pop an ( !D ) or ( !S) depending on which mode I go into. It goes into slow mo. I didn't use it for 2 days and it was behaving until about 5 minutes into the journey. Any help would be much appreciated

My Cars
    325i 2004 convertible
    Hey people did you get to the bottom of the transmission issue with the 325? I have a 2004 one and it's started to pop an ( !D ) or ( !S) depending on which mode I go into. It goes into slow mo. I didn't use it for 2 days and it was behaving until about 5 minutes into the journey. Any help would be much appreciated

My Cars
    2002 525i
    It's in failsafe mode. That means that the trans will default to 3rd gear only. Essentially enough to get you home or to the mechanic. How many miles on the trans? When mine went it was running fine until I pulled onto a freeway ramp and then bam. Turned out it had lost 2nd gear.

If you have a proper scanner you can scan and see what codes the trans is throwing. But it sounds like a new transmission is in your near future.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)