Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Inner CV Joint, R&R with new Redline CV2 Grease

My Cars
    BMW 325is
    This is great info and instructions on how to replace the boot for the inner cv.
    The problem I have is that I need to replace my inner CV itself. I can't find the part anywhere. If replacing the inner cv, do you have to replace the whole output shaft. Looked on real oem and cant see the inner CV.

Is it part #15 at http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...41&hg=33&fg=05

Looking at this diagram i can see its located at "LK" http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...22&hg=33&fg=25

Please help

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by bkhakh View Post
    This is great info and instructions on how to replace the boot for the inner cv.
    The problem I have is that I need to replace my inner CV itself. I can't find the part anywhere. If replacing the inner cv, do you have to replace the whole output shaft. Looked on real oem and cant see the inner CV.

Is it part #15 at http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...41&hg=33&fg=05

Looking at this diagram i can see its located at "LK" http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...22&hg=33&fg=25

Please help
    you cant replace the cv joint, you can just rebuild it (regrease it)

if you have to replace the joint, you have to buy a new or used half shaft.

"LK" is just a measurement across the seal to differentiate between the M and non M boot kits (different sizes)
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    I decided to try this with my half shafts. The inner part came apart fine, and looks to be in good condition. Although, i did have to hammer the crap out of the shaft to get the CV spline off.

So, then i removed the inner boot and this is what i found...

I'm not sure how well you can see this, but the sheet metal is mangled, and is partially separated.

It appears that the sheet metal part on the inside of the outer joint may have been damaged from the shaft being moved around when the differential was disconnected. The funny thing is, this is the first time i have removed them (in the 6 years of ownership) and i did not pry on them. I removed the inner, then outer one after another. So, i don't see how i could have caused this damage.

if you put the shaft in a vice, and move the splined outer part around, it is not smooth. It feels clunky. Its tight, not loose, and no play, but it feels clunky (hard to describe).

What should i do? Should i ditch these and buy reman? Used? Should i bother cleaning the grease out of this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fatboycowen; 01-29-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    Jon

98 M3 Track/Autocross/Street- AST 4100s.
    94 325is beater

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    Replace the axle. Hard to tell but it does appear that the droop may have damaged it.
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    after doing a ton of these.... you are fine

what you need to do, is remove any metal that is breaking off, take a file, pliers, screwdriver, whatever, and bend the metal back a little to it "original" position the best you can...

soak the outer CV joint in some gasoline overnight, which will break down the grease, and make cleaning them out tomorrow easier.

Tomorrow, clean it out the best you can with a couple cans of brake cleaner with the tip on it so u can really get in there, and an air hose. It WILL be messy, but the better you can clean it, the better the CV2 grease will last.

Put halfshaft back in vice after cleaning, start gobbing CV2 in there, and start moving everything around. With the fresh grease, and moving it around, you should be good to go. Enjoy

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    after doing a ton of these.... you are fine

what you need to do, is remove any metal that is breaking off, take a file, pliers, screwdriver, whatever, and bend the metal back a little to it "original" position the best you can...

soak the outer CV joint in some gasoline overnight, which will break down the grease, and make cleaning them out tomorrow easier.

Tomorrow, clean it out the best you can with a couple cans of brake cleaner with the tip on it so u can really get in there, and an air hose. It WILL be messy, but the better you can clean it, the better the CV2 grease will last.

Put halfshaft back in vice after cleaning, start gobbing CV2 in there, and start moving everything around. With the fresh grease, and moving it around, you should be good to go. Enjoy
    Wow, this is good news. Yes, some of the metal has become detached.

What bothers me the most is the fact that this CV is not smooth like the other side. It doesn't make a clunking sound, but it has a clunky feel, and is tough to rotate. It will slide back and forth, but only with an abrupt action, not smooth like the inner.

I'll try soaking it, and see what happens. i'll post up more pictures later.

Thanks for the reply.
    Jon

94 325is beater

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    I have a severely torn OUTER boot, is it possible to remove the inner boot without damaging it (to re-use)?

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Yes, its possible. They are so cheap though it would be retarded to reuse

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    I agree. When i removed mine, i could have re-used it. However, as was mentioned, why bother? You need new grease and clamps anyway.
    Jon

94 325is beater

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Yes, its possible. They are so cheap though it would be retarded to reuse
    No one stocks this part and i need to have it finished tomorrow. I figure if i clean it properly it should be fine.

thanks guys

appreciate the DIY

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    thats why you order everything before hand

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    thats why you order everything before hand
    i didnt know till last night that you couldnt separate the outer

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    well John, you were right. The outer clamps that came with the kit did not fit properly, but I modified them and got them "together". When I crimped them to tighten them up, they snapped.

I decided there HAD to be another option for crimp clamp cv boot's but slightly larger. I spent almost 4 hours the other night looking online, and couldnt find ANYTHING. I was extremely frustrated, and decided I had to try SOMETHING. Low and behold, on the 5th store locally, I was able to find some large universal ones at Napa.

Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, and another local automotive store didnt have ANYTHING that large. This was later at night, they were all open till 9pm, and nothing. The next morning, I walked into Napa with my half shaft, showed him what I needed, and BOOM, they had them.

I actually bought all 10 they had, since I'm doing the same thing for a buddy of mine as well

Clamps for the outer cv boot

Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    Just a Note, it happened to me and others, for some reason the supplied outer Clamp will not fit. I tried everything, then took it to a BMW Shop and they agreed. Due to the limited space (less then 3/8ths inch) a tie wrap wont work, so we Safety Wired mine.

Calvin, You should edit the upper part of this thread before you put the inners back together that if your doing the outers to go down to Post #14 first....then back up. (if you haven't already!)

Hadn't found this thread in time but I found another option from eBay seller Axleprosplus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...9#ht_500wt_956

I was searching for Oeteker style band clamps in size of around 4.25" diameter and I found this ebay listing. $10 gets you more than enough clamps to rebuild your axles and have track side spares

figured I would share, used them tonight they were great!

and to OP, thanks for your epic uber DIY thread :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Brent; 03-21-2011 at 11:44 PM.

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Hadn't found this thread in time but I found another option from eBay seller Axleprosplus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370022959309&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_956

I was searching for Oeteker style band clamps in size of around 4.25" diameter and I found this ebay listing. $10 gets you more than enough clamps to rebuild your axles and have track side spares

figured I would share, used them tonight they were great!
    This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.

• Please check that you've entered the correct item number
      • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.

• Please check that you've entered the correct item number
      • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.
    sorry for fail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...9#ht_500wt_956

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    those look identical to the ones you get at NAPA.
    Jon

94 325is beater

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    they all look like the set i got with my kit from pelican.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    they all look like the set i got with my kit from pelican.
    I got my boots from Pelican as well. When i received them, i contacted Pelican to let them know that clamps from the kit they sell do not fit. They disagreed with me over and over again. After several email exchanges, i gave up. I had already been to Napa for the correct clamps. I figured that i would let them know, so they could improve their products, or at least let customers know, but they didn't seem interested in helping.
    Jon

94 325is beater

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboycowen

those look identical to the ones you get at NAPA.
    How much are the ones at NAPA and how many do you get? Do they come with 2 sizes?

I got 5 of each size for a little under ten bucks shipped

Quote Originally Posted by fatboycowen

I got my boots from Pelican as well. When i received them, i contacted Pelican to let them know that clamps from the kit they sell do not fit. They disagreed with me over and over again. After several email exchanges, i gave up. I had already been to Napa for the correct clamps. I figured that i would let them know, so they could improve their products, or at least let customers know, but they didn't seem interested in helping.
    I will complain too hopefully repeated comments from us buyers will get the message through. Also we can leave comments on the parts in their online catalog

I have a 95 solid half shaft I will see if the lobro one works there, maybe the large diameter hollow shafts are different from the solid ones
    Last edited by Brent; 03-22-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    no one with a good price on inner boot kits has them in stock right now.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    what you talking about?

rmeuropean, CMuzzy, autohausaz?

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    what you talking about?

rmeuropean, CMuzzy, autohausaz?
    just checked all of them.

unless you want to pay over 40 bucks, its backordered

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    rebs I have 1 inner boot I could sell you. It is "used", I installed it on a halfshaft when rebuilding it with Redline racing CV grease but when I went to install into trailing arm I realized the threads for the axle nut on that shaft were fubar and not for use on a street car let alone my track car! But it's not actually used as the axle never made it into the trailing arm even... lol

so it would just have some redline grease smeared on the inside probably... but I would pull it for you if you want. $20 shipped?

if you are interested, PM me

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe

CVs... Done!

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread as I just completed the CV rebuild.

What a colossal pain in the arse the disassembly was... I spent Friday night and most of Saturday fighting with rusted-on rotors, and Sunday and Monday fighting with sized axle splines. It was bad enough that I almost broke my three-jaw puller. I ended up using a 5-lb sledge and a ball-peen hammer (as the drift). Two whacks per side and it was free (after soaking in PB blaster over-night).

Repack was done Monday night, I spent a couple hours on it. Tuesday I took the night off [mentally] and got things cleaned up and prepped under the car for re-assembly. I also wire-brush cleaned and shaker-can painted the swaybar mounting brackets (they were wicked rusty). Last night I reassembled, it took about 2 hours.

I do have some thoughts/recommendations:
    • Remove (or at least drop) the tail pipe: it's simple [but heavy] and will make things go MUCH easier.

• Remove the swaybar: same rationale as above

• PB Blaster! Get some... use it liberally. Soaking time is your friend.

• Heat is also your friend, when used correctly. Have a blue bottle [propane torch] handy.

• Clean the hub-to-axle splines VERY well before you put the axles back in. I would recommend brake clean and a toothbrush.

• I used anti-seize on the splines so next time I (or the next guy) can do the job in an afternoon.

• Go buy the NAPA Clamps PN: 686-5834 (as above - THANK YOU!!!) and an inexpensive clamping tool Before you start the job.

• After you've got the axles installed, spin them to make sure the outboard clamp doesn't hit the brake line - it's very close down there.

Thanks again to everyone and good luck to everyone who still needs to do it!
    Last edited by weidner; 05-05-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    \/\///eidner
    '13 135i
    '07 Lexus IS 350 <MEH>
    '98 M3 Sedan <SOLD>
    '05 Mini Cooper S <SOLD>

My Cars
    91' 318is- S50
    Kudos on the write up. I wish I had found it a week ago...

I inadvertently learned how to do this(long story, not safe for the kids) on my own.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast