Thread: 2000 323i Instrument cluster stopped working

My Cars
    2000 323i

2000 323i Instrument cluster stopped working

Drove my car in the morning everything just fine. Went to start it in the afternoon and the instrument cluster was DOA. The only indicators/lights to illuminate on the cluster were the Airbag, Handbrake and ABS; no tach no speedo, no temp, no fuel, turn signals , no beeping with the key out of the ignition, not even my OBC display was on. My passenger mirror also stopped titling in reverse. The clock also does not work on the radio which is attributable to OBC not working . The buttons on the steering wheel works fine . I checked every fuse and they were all good. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and still nothing. I am at my wit's end can anyone help?

My Cars
    1999 323i Sedan 4 Dr.
    Take it to autozone for a free OBC code check. If you need a replacement of the cluster, consider yourself lucky 'coz here's the link to a readily available cluster on ebay. I've bought from this seller earlier and they are trust-worthy in their description. Then again, its just my opinion. I'm in no way related to this seller nor did i receive any gifts, cookies or candies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-I...Q5fAccessories

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Nah sounds like you accidentally blew the fuse. I've seen this a few times with customer cars. Pop open the glove box and look for the instrument cluster fuses. Its a small one.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    03 Acura TL Type-S
    Check fuses before bringing to autozone. Fuses are under a $1.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    happened to me also, check your fuses in your glove box, ones most likely blown

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Thanks guys. I did check the 10, 34, and 43 fuses while they were installed with a multimeter and they show good, should I replace just them with new ones?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    He said in the OP that he checked the fuses. If he checked with a fluke, and they checked good....ummm...I doubt it's the fuses.

How about pull the cluster and make sure the power input didn't wiggle loose?

What's between the fuse and the cluster?

I know, from having mine out a dozen times, there are a ton of circuit cards on the back of the inst cluster. Is it possible it just fried? If you can't figure it out...I would pull and look for any evidence of something burning up (resistors, capacitors, etc...)

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2000 323i
    I'm going to replace the 5A fuses for shits and giggles but I doubt that will solve the problem. I wiggled the wires on the back of the cluster but did not disconnect the plugs, should I? I just want to do all I can before purchasing a new cluster.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Changed the 10, 34, and 43 5A fuses and as I suspected the problem still exists. I'm starting to think that the cluster is fried. Can I just replace the cluster without affecting the mileage or any other ancillary systems?

Anybody ever had this happen to them, where it was the cluster and not the fuses?

Anyone got any input before I buy a new cluster?
    Last edited by ToDie4; 02-10-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Hey guys,
    About the cluster.. my coolant level light stopped lighting up during the initial start of the engine, ALL other warning lights flash-on except the coolant light. Could just that light (bulb) be burnt out? Can these bulbs be individually replaced?? If so, what bulb type should I be buying???

(I recently replaced my expansion tank with new, along with a new coolant level sensor. Prior to the replacement, That light did come on before.)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    -David

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5
    Bump!!!

Did you ever find out the problem?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    He said in the OP that he checked the fuses. If he checked with a fluke, and they checked good....ummm...I doubt it's the fuses.

How about pull the cluster and make sure the power input didn't wiggle loose?

What's between the fuse and the cluster?

I know, from having mine out a dozen times, there are a ton of circuit cards on the back of the inst cluster. Is it possible it just fried? If you can't figure it out...I would pull and look for any evidence of something burning up (resistors, capacitors, etc...)
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutegtr View Post
    Bump!!!

Did you ever find out the problem?
    What have you checked?

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5
    I checked the connections on the back and checked the 3 fuses... Everything checked out good.

What to do next?

Is there a second fuse box, or all the fuses in the glove box. (1999 323i). Lost wipers, door locks, windows.

My Cars
    2003 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by ToDie4 View Post
    Drove my car in the morning everything just fine. Went to start it in the afternoon and the instrument cluster was DOA. The only indicators/lights to illuminate on the cluster were the Airbag, Handbrake and ABS; no tach no speedo, no temp, no fuel, turn signals , no beeping with the key out of the ignition, not even my OBC display was on. My passenger mirror also stopped titling in reverse. The clock also does not work on the radio which is attributable to OBC not working . The buttons on the steering wheel works fine . I checked every fuse and they were all good. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and still nothing. I am at my wit's end can anyone help?
    So what is the resolution of this? OP, please let me know. My M3 is doing the same thing. In addition, the top also stops working. Thanks

My Cars
    1991 E34 535i, E90 320d
    Did any of you manage to get the instrument cluster working again? What was the outcome?