Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windscreens - oem e36 vs. oem audi cab side by side compare and review

My Cars
    08-X5|01-M3|03-A4

windscreens - oem e36 vs. oem audi cab side by side compare and review

so i was able to get both screens for cheap, i figured i'll try each one and see which one i will like better and can just always sell the other one.

so here's my review of each since i was able to compare them side by side and drive with each one on.

first let me say that both windscreens are top quality and both work the same as far as the wind blocking ability. i drove with each one in 36f weather and both worked absolutely great, i think BMW one worked just a little better as far as them cutting down on wind but really not much to say that it made a noticeable difference i mean, 85% of wind was gone with an Audi screen and 90% with a BMW screen. This is probably due to the fact that the BMW screen is a bit larger the Audi one. In any case, all in all i was able to enjoy the nice sunny (cold) day with really no discomfort using either one.

OK, so instead of pros and cons i just select a winner in each area as i saw it.

Wind blocking
    Advantage - BMW. - like i said both did the job great, but BMW does hold a slight advantage.

Ease of use

Advantage - Audi. Very simple design and a snap to unfold and install, BMW one is more cumbersome...

Also, when installed, Audi screen (top half) is easier to fold up and down then the BMW one. It almost feels that its gonna break as you trying to fold it down on the BMW screen as you really need to apply a decent amount of pressure. You can fold up/down the Audi screen with one hand while driving whereas i think you actually need to get out of the car to fold up down the BMW screen.

Stowing
    Advantage - Audi. It folds in half... nuff said.

Fitment
    Advantage - BMW. Face it folks it was made for this car. Though i still find it incredible that the Audi screen really does fit almost like a glove. But, the BMW screen does fit more snugly and feels more sturdy then the Audi screen.

Aesthetics
    Advantage - BMW. But really not that huge of an advantage. It does follow the line of the car better and the rear portion does not slope down a bit like the Audi screen.

Other considerations
    Audi screen does not need to be removed to operate to top. BMW one does need to be removed because there a little leveling brackets that sit on the oh the boot and will not allow for the boot to open. After examining those i think they can be removed and that will allow the BMW screen to remain in place when opening closing the top.
    Also, the mesh on the Audi screen is black and the mesh on the BMW screen is sort of grayish.

This is all i can think of right now... so if anyone have questions on anything i may have missed to mention - ask.

EDIT: PLEASE BE SURE TO READ POST #7 AS TRAYSON MADE SOME CORRECTIONS TO SOME OF MY POINTS. THANKS MAN.

Oh and i'm not sure which one i will keep just yet, i will likely keep them both until the warm weather hits and then really give them some good testing then i'll decide, so please folks don't ask me to sell you either at this time.

The pics.

SIDE BY SIDE

AUDI

BMW

Last edited by azmp1; 02-08-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    2001 BMW M3 Conv: New project.
    1998-BMW-323iC: Sold
    2003-Audi-A4: Unitronic tuned, gt3076 on meth.
    2008-BMW-X5: Supercharged with 2 baby seats.

My Cars
    one
    Thanks, great post. I was thinking about getting one this summer.

My Cars
    09 Chevy 1500 4x4
    I have the Audi one and I am thoroughly pleased with it. My girlfriend didn't believe it did anything until I showed her the difference while going down the interstate. Aesthetically the Audi one looks better to me, it just seems to fit more than the OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
    Hey pal, I may have a needle d**k, but I've got an a** like a sewing machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Volf View Post
    I still can't believe you rode that bitch like a pony at a 6th grade birthday party and lived to tell about it...

My Cars
    1999 E-36 M-3 Cabrio
    Great write up azmp1 ! I've been looking at the threads on both of these deflectors. Keep us apprised of your ongoing comparisons!

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    One point key to me that I didn't know when I bought my Audi windblocker (having owned 2 BMW models) is that the Audi allows the rear of the blocker that lays up against the rear back seat to be lifted up. That is both good and bad. I liked the fact that you could lock your windblocker in place because part of the boot sits on it, not so with the Audi. If I leave my windows down all someone has to do to take my windblocker is to lift it up, slide the spring loaded install arm out and lift it right out. I don't like that feature but on the other hand you can also put things back there and get to them from the outside of the car easily.
    Has anyone using the Audi figured a way to lock the back down so it can't be stolen?
    I am thinking of maybe a strap that is attached from the bottom of the windblocker to someplace in the rear seat area where the seat and seat back meet.

My Cars
    one
    Would there be any limitation imposed by the seat recline? I am 6'7" and therefore have the seat back as far as possible as well as a modest recline.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Good write up, but you are actually using the BMW wind deflector somewhat incorrectly. With the rear tabs correctly mounted on the OEM wind deflector, it is very easy to flip up and flip down the wind deflector while driving and I do it very regularly with no issues what-so-ever.

The "leveling tabs" as you call them go UNDERNEATH the rear tonneau cover. This actually locks the wind deflector in place so that someone can't lift the rear of the deflector to access your rear seat area and it also means that it would be harder for someone to steal the entire wind deflector. It furthermore means that you have to open your top storage tonneau cover to install or remove the OEM wind deflector, whereas the Audi one could be inserted and removed with the top down or up. Also your comment that the OEM wind deflector must be removed to operate the top is incorrect. I leave my OEM wind deflector in ALL summer long and the top works perfectly with no issue if you have the wind deflector installed correctly. It's only to remove or install the wind deflector that you would need to open the tonneau boot slightly.

See how mine sits w/ the tabs in the correct position:

As far as asthetics, I really agree that the BMW one looks better and for me, the downward slope of the Audi one would drive me crazy. My preference of the "level" horizontal piece on the OEM one is magnified by the fact that I run w/o rear headrests. (because you run w/ headrests, I think that the downward slope of the Audi one is less obvious).

Also, it is worth mentioning that the Audi model will be resting against the leather of your rear seat. The OEM BMW model HUGS the contour of the rear seat but typically doesn't touch it at all by design. So, if one was concerned about the wind deflector rubbing on the leather, that's at least something you might have to consider with the Audi model.

It is also noteworthy to a very select few that the BMW piece folds into 3 sections, so it does end up having a smaller length front to back (while obviously Since the Audi folds in quarters, it has a smaller length side to side). I know I'm probably the only person with this issue, but because of my speaker box taking up pretty much the entire space under the top storage compartment, the Audi one would not fit in my trunk, while the OEM one does fit in my trunk (albeit at an angle).

Quote Originally Posted by dvhM3 View Post
    Would there be any limitation imposed by the seat recline? I am 6'7" and therefore have the seat back as far as possible as well as a modest recline.
    Yes, there is a limitation on seat recline. Since this is an issue for you, I would recommend the Audi one for you. Because the audi one is shorter on the horizontal plane, it ends up having to tip down farther to contact the seat. That means that the vertical portion of the Audi one will be tilted farther back than the OEM one and that will make it so you can recline your seat a few inches farther back...

This is the OEM one, and in comparison the Audi one would be tilted a few degrees further away from the rear seat...

Thanks, great post. I was thinking about getting one this summer.
    It's an absolutely wonderful accessory. It makes it so that your top down driving season is extended big time. It's literally like adding 10 - 15 degrees to the outside temp. I was driving with the top down yesterday and even when it dropped below 50 degrees, I was comfortable with a stocking cap, leather driving gloves and heated seats. Also, it's very nice at night in that it actually acts as a diffuser for the headlights of cars behind you. (although with my retrofit of an autodimming mirror, it's less of an issue). They are wonderful in giving you rear seat privacy for items you might throw back there when parked with the top down. It also provides security because it makes it harder to see into your car at night. It makes it easier to listen to your music and you can even have a cell phone conversation with the deflector and windows up. Talking to passengers is easier and the "ear fatigue" you receive while driving long distances is greatly lessened if not eliminated. It also keeps your ears from getting buffeted by the wind. I run with the wind deflector up even when I have the windows down.

I seriously can't say enough good things about having a wind deflector. The wind deflector is one of the two single best accessories you could ever have for a cabrio. (The hardtop is the other IMO, since I can't go vert in the winter months in the Pacific NW).

I think if someone were able to fabricate some tabs for the Audi one that would enable it to rest under the tonneau lid like the OEM one, that would solve the angle problem and the problem of the Audi deflector resting on the leather as well as the above-mentioned concerns about theft of the wind deflector itself.
    Last edited by trayson; 02-08-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    So what about the Raceland wind screen?

My Cars
    08-X5|01-M3|03-A4
    thank you guys for the comments and feedback.

fun2drive: i totally agree with you, the ease if installing/removing the Audi windscreen can certainly make it a breeze to steal...

trayson: thank you for the corrections as well as additional info, i apologize if i was wrong about some functions. so the tabs go under the boot... ha? i really like this actually... and it doesn't interfere with the boot closing tight on the microswitch?

Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    So what about the Raceland wind screen?
    Sorry brother my wife would have killed me if i got the 3rd one too lol.... she was giving me shit about buying both of these already...
    Last edited by azmp1; 02-08-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    2001 BMW M3 Conv: New project.
    1998-BMW-323iC: Sold
    2003-Audi-A4: Unitronic tuned, gt3076 on meth.
    2008-BMW-X5: Supercharged with 2 baby seats.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by azmp1 View Post
    trayson: thank you for the corrections as well as additional info, i apologize if i was wrong about some functions. so the tabs go under the boot... ha? i really like this actually... and it doesn't interfere with the boot closing tight on the microswitch?
    It doesn't interfere with anything. Works perfect... You'd almost think that BMW designed it to work with the car!
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    '99 M3 Vert, '07 S80 V8
    Great comparison, thanks for posting!

I've got a BMW one, but I really need to snag one of the Audi ones... I love that the top doesn't need to be touched to take it in and out.
    -Gian

'99 M3, '07 S80 V8

My Cars
    one
    Thank you trayson for your input. Very helpful.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Thank you trayson for your input. Very helpful.
    No problem. I'm very analytical about things, so I tend to be one that would highlight the subtle differences. And there's only a few of us on here that have been up close and personal with both the OEM and the Audi wind deflectors to give an informed opinion. Always love to help!!!!

www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    1999 e36 323ic vert / CAI / m3 midpipe Borla Exhua
    Trayson

You beat me to it. I was going to chime in that I leave mine in year round and like you said, you can open and shut the roof with it installed as a matter of fact you can put the top up with the windscreen in the fully deployed position. I also want to verify that its probably the best thing you can do for your cabrio and it makes a tremendous difference. I couldnt dream with living without it. I have the OEM one btw.
    Its amazing the audi one fits and it is quite annoying that the boot lid has to be lifted to get the OEM one out and cool the audi one just pops out and fold because let me tell ya, its not easy to fit into the trunk its a certain talent BUT having said that you could steal the Audi one in a second, and i'm sure there are folks who love to steal it unfortunately.

My Cars
    320i E36, 318i E30
    a good thing about the rear clips on the original wind deflector is that it can't be stolen easy. And this for me is more important that the 10s I lose, puting it in. Even from the rear part with the top opened you can't reach in the car.

I usualy first put the front tabs of the deflector in the front holes, then with one hand tilt it forward (that almost hits the head rest, the back part is ~10inches in air), with the other hand I operate the softtop switch and open the rear lid for ~10inches. Then lover the deflector in place and store the to back as before (or closed or open). All done while in the seat.
    E36 320i conv 1/97':
    fog lights; power steering; M body; M steering wheel with MFL; M3 vader light gray leather seats w/heating; phone; cruise control; harmankardon; PDC; CD43 business radio+dension adapter USB+Ipod with ID3tags; hardtop+lift+stand; wind deflector; 17" stly22 Motorsport wheels; EWS; DWA alarm; remote central locking; 4x el.windows; CD changer; cup holder+CD box in glovebox; coin box in door; roll-bar; full auto.el.softtop; luggage straps; ASC; ABS; engine compartment light; glovebox light; automatic A/C with AUC; OBC; light cleaning; intensive wash; heated wash nozzles; fire extinguisher; westfalia towing hitch
    --------------------
    E30 318i sedan 9/87': everything expcept Mbody and sunroof

My Cars
    2004 330CI auto vert

Cool

Nice write up

My Cars
    2004 330CI auto vert

Question

In addition to complimenting the OP on his write up, I was hoping for an update as to which one he thought was better after this much time has passed?

My Cars
    2004 330CI auto vert
    Well guess what just happened. I found an Audi WD that is in mint condition and bought it based on this thread.
    Now I should back up and say that I did a search for wind deflectors and did not pay attention to the section it was in. So I assumed this write up was for a 3 series that fit my car, but now I see it is for E36's, not E46's
    And in case anyone with an E46 is wondering, no it does not fit.

Our back seats must be a little wider because the pins (even when fully extended) do not reach. So now I have a great wind deflector that does not fit my car.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Vert,'02 S4/+
    I have an Audi WD and love the ease of use. 100% endorsement for use on an E36 chassis car. I bought and returned a Raceland wind deflector as it was a pain in the ass and not nearly as functional or versatile as the Audi or BMW versions.

My Cars
    1997 318i
    Is it the 2001-2009 Audi A4 model windscreen that fits an e36?

My Cars
    99 5spd M3 cabrio, 94 31
    The person I got my deflector from said they didn't like it because it didn't fit in the trunk. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out that the plastic tab folded under, and it did fit.

I'm with Trayson, I think the deflector is an invaluable accessory.

My Cars
    525i
    I was also wondering which Audi windscreen was compatable with the E36

My Cars
    audi one looks better

My Cars
    one
    BMW one fits better

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post

See how mine sits w/ the tabs in the correct position:

Tray, you are missing # distance rubber left and right

The horizontal part on yours is slightly sloping downwards. The #7 part prevents this and makes it support on the side trim.

You can see them in Amp's pics.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast