Thread: Wheel binding when turning sharp.

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord

Wheel binding when turning sharp.

So I just replaced the axle that was bad, but that wasn't the cause of the wheel ( only the right ) binding or so when I turn the wheel sharply all the way to the right. Anyone think of what it could be. I couldn't see anything rubbing but that's what it feels like when it happens. I'm thinking the alignment may be off a bit. For now tho its ok to drive as it won't act up unless im making a sharp turn which is never really. I just thought id ask and see what anyone else thinks. Its an 2002 325xi by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Man....that damn Xi is killing you (us).

When turning hard to the right...when you're moving, your clearance will be less, than when it is sitting still, and you turn the wheel hard right to look though....

Man.....IDK

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    No say if I am in the parking lot and turn the wheel all the way to the right ( while stopped ) and then decide to go forward ( I think back ward also wheel still cut to the right ) it sorta thumps forward almost like the tire is rubbing somewhere. Like I said its only when I do this is when I turn sharp. Other wise while normally driving turning right it won't, and your telling me its killing me lol. I never maintained a car so well and had one give me so many issues but I like it so its all good, just gets annoying you know.
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    What?

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    check your sway bar links. If not that, it could be the ball joints/CABs. Any play in the suspension components will allow more movement in the wheel, causing it to make funky noises. I had an issue like this with my XI, the dealer replaced the outer tie rods and sway bar links, then aligned it... everything was gravy after that. This was probably 5 years ago, before I knew about diagnosing, and repair on my own vehicle.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    The steering rack, outer and inner tie rods, cab's drivers control arm, and sway bar links are all an year old or less. There isnt any play ither its tight as can be. I think I got a bad alignment so i will have to make an appointment with BMW and just let them do it. Is there any kind of warranty on the 4 wheel alignment for the $200 I will be paying I mean that's the cheapest out of the 3 dealers I found. The one wanted $300 and I just hung up.
    What?

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    When you go to all the way to the lock on my xi it feels as though the resistance from the axles kind of hold you in that steering angle, feels as though it takes a tiny bit more force to get it off full lock. But my car doesn't thump or anything, I just feel that tiny bit of resistance in the wheel, I've chalked it up to normal.

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    When you go to all the way to the lock on my xi it feels as though the resistance from the axles kind of hold you in that steering angle, feels as though it takes a tiny bit more force to get it off full lock. But my car doesn't thump or anything, I just feel that tiny bit of resistance in the wheel, I've chalked it up to normal.
    Then maybe im over thinking it, does yours do this locked both ways or just one?
    What?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    I have an '03 325xi and when I turn sharply both directions it sounds like the wheel is rubbing on something. Ive just gotten used to stopping the turn right before the steering wheel stops. Interested to find out if there is an underlying problem here.

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITEXi View Post
    Then maybe im over thinking it, does yours do this locked both ways or just one?
    Yea it does it both ways, but I'm not holding it against the lock because thats bad for the pump. The "zone" im talkin about is right before you hit the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1014 View Post
    I have an '03 325xi and when I turn sharply both directions it sounds like the wheel is rubbing on something. Ive just gotten used to stopping the turn right before the steering wheel stops. Interested to find out if there is an underlying problem here.
    The rubbing you think you're hearing is the power steering pump whining because you're holding it against the lock. By holding it against the lock you are asking the pump to keep trying to turn the wheels when it physically cannot. If you do this enough you can/will burn out the pump.
    Last edited by Julian; 02-07-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    Yea see it doesn't do it to the left just the right so idk lol, but like you said I know the area before it does it so I stop there. I have to try and get it to BMW for the alignment and hope that takes car of it.
    What?

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Has anyone found a solutions to this?
    My car is doing the exact same thing as Julian. Only to the right side. Annoying a hell and dangerous.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Perform a diagnostic scan with a BMW specific scan tool/software, may shed some light!