Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Reverse? Fix it YOURSELF!

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    This I cannot do in my garage.
    One would need a lift for the car and a tranny jack. Not to mention the hydraulic press.
    Very good reference though if you have a place like that. I wish I had.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL M
    I too have a 2001 740iL with the same reverse issue. I cant seem to pull up the pictures from your initial post. I'd certainly like to attempt the repair myself as well. Any chance of reposting the pics or an email of them? Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The pictures are no longer being hosted.

But it really doesn't matter here. The writeup was on the 5HP19 transmission. You have a 5HP24. The only thing this trans shares in common with yours is the fluid.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL M
    Thanks for the heads up. Not trying to hijack a thread, but here's one for you...
    Took my car to a local tranny shop, they pulled the tranny and disassembled it to assess its condition and decide what to do next. They needed to free up the bay it was in so they wired up the driveshaft and proceeded to push the car back outside. As far as we can tell, the drive shaft turned and tapped the tunnel under the car and set off the drivers side airbags.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Owww!!!

I've seen guys push cars with the driveshaft flailing around (not allowed in my shops), but to hit just right so it blows the airbags?

Holy crap!!!

/.randy

My Cars
    Gen8 Accord and 94 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunahead View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Not trying to hijack a thread, but here's one for you...
    Took my car to a local tranny shop, they pulled the tranny and disassembled it to assess its condition and decide what to do next. They needed to free up the bay it was in so they wired up the driveshaft and proceeded to push the car back outside. As far as we can tell, the drive shaft turned and tapped the tunnel under the car and set off the drivers side airbags.

Wow was it too difficult to disconnect the battery or completely remove the drive shaft? Laziness is always the more difficult route...

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    anybody have a version with pics?

My Cars
    2003 525i Sport
    Hey SleekBMW there is a thread with photos, I'm too new yet to post the link, but a google search of "5HP19 transmission rebuild pictures" will give you a link to this forum and a Youtube video.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Why can't I see any pictures?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 528xi
    Why are their no pictures?

- - - Updated - - -

Why no pictures?

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Margo Copeland View Post
    Why are their no pictures?

- - - Updated - - -

Why no pictures?
    Probably because it's a zombie thread from 2010. Who knows where they were hosted at.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "I forgot to mention, the VERY first step of any transmission or hydraulic repair is to pour approximately 1/2 quart of ATF over your head. You will be getting very oily and dirty soon, so might as well start it off right."

First time I've seen this thread, too bad the photos weren't preserved. Best 4 post contributor here I've seen, OP is no rookie.
    Certainly not a job for the faint of heart nor those unable to maneuver a 200# gearbox in and out of place.
    Having said that if you screw it up it simply remains broken so why not try.
    @ Margo; your sig indicates an '09 528xi, an entirely different animal than what is discussed here. Much bigger job and more complicated trans that likely has different issues.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-19-2022 at 08:21 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12