Thread: E38 used cluster programming

My Cars
    2002 530i

E38 used cluster programming

Hi guys, I recently purchased a 1998 740i.

It came with a new (used) dashboard. dsc light on, tamper dot on, 40k+ in mileage.

I also have the original dashboard (bad pixel condition, initially only about 10% of the pixels showing and after I tinkered with it for a bit I managed to bring that up to about 70% pixels shown) and last night I put this one (the original dash) in. DSC light is gone, tamper dot is gone and my mileage is correct.... but I'd have to live with some dead pixels.

I can't find a consensus whether the used non original dash can be programmed with my vin.

Can anybody shed some light on this issue? if it can, can you point me in the right direction? I found a post from killcrap where it was suggested that this was possible... but I can't figure out how to PM the guy.

Thanks a lot.
    a

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Well i was told that once it was programmed with a VIN, that was it but now with people getting DIS/INPA/etc to work, I don't know. I do know though, this website sells the ribbon cables that are usually the cause of all the dead pixels. h ttp://www.pixelfix.net/eng/index.html Good luck

My Cars
    2002 530i
    thanks man.
    I already been that route and while i didn't have a new ribbon to put in place, the whole procedure made me think twice. it's not that easy, mostly because you have to force your way thru a few steps and I don't think a cluster would survive a third, even a second attempt.
    I was looking at bmw scanner 1.36 from pa soft to do the job. My father-in-law has a hookup that I might try this week-end.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by andre14; 02-04-2010 at 09:13 AM.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Some say...that PASoft 136 will recode clusters....

Ive not seen it with my own 2 eyeballs.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    There has to be a way even if removing the eeprom to clear the cluster and then just continue programming as if it was new.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    The trouble is....Im speaking of E31 experience...

The EEproms can be replaced. Soldered on.

However...the EEproms from a used cluster dont match. Hence the tamper dot.

And you cant replace with a new EEprom because it is blank.

The new clusters come with some code on the EEprom that allows it to sync to other modules and not get a tamper dot.

So...we need the code to write to new EEproms and allow this. Ive not done it yet...but very interested.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.