Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shogun got an E36 M3

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    Japan got US spec BMW's for the most part, even E30 M3's were predominately US Spec. When I was living in Japan at Misawa Kichi there were Alpina and Schnitzer cars running around but they were 3x as much as a standard us spec e30.

Own a left hand drive in a right hand drive was something special.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    For me it was just a chance to get an M3 with very low mileage and maintenance history / records.
    Uncle of my wife bought it in Georgia/USA when he lived there and brought it over to Japan when he returned.
    But there are indeed a lot of U.S. as well as EURO spec cars here, and people like to drive a left hand drive car in a right hand drive country, something special for them.
    Girls like to have a boyfriend with a tanned left arm = meaning: he owns an expensive imported car = must be rich etc pp
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5 2003 540i/6
    Sport and Lux was offered in both 97 and 98 sedans...
    mines a 98 sport
    Nope...'97 sedans were available with or without the Lux package. All '98 sedans were the same - no Lux package available, no "Sport" package either unless you're calling all non-Lux M3s "Sport package".
    zM3
    1998 M3/4/5 #9250
    2003 540i/6 #71855
    The 4 door fleet

My Cars
    E36 M3 vert/E32 750/Alfa
    Hey Shogun,
    First of all thank you, thank you, thank you for your (immeasurable) contributions to the health, well-being, and longevity of E32's everywhere. And congratulations on your M3! Maybe there could be a new obsession in the making...

IMHO the E32 and E36 obsessions work well together, though, they make kind of a smooth synergy.

If your car is pre-wired for the factory alarm, BMW has done the difficult part of the install. I saw a model- and year-correct BMW factory alarm on eBay, don't remember the exact price but won the bid and it came with both fobs for pennies on the US$ against the dealership's price. Also can't remember why the p.o. removed it, but it was fully operational and it plugged right in and has worked great on our vert for five years now, *crosses fingers* very pleased with the performance. If you've ever considered eBay as a source...and as you recall, occasionally things show up that are unused and unopened. Maybe a factory alarm...?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Thanks tazM3!
    I will check the ebay from now on and maybe I get one, anyway no need to hurry with that. Meanwhile i checked the car out, it is definitely pre-wired.

Change of subject, just was reading the E36 forum and found this interesting comment...
    Experienced that also although coolant level is fine? In case you already have changed the coolant level sensor, cleaned the plug and the contacts,checked for air bubbles, measured with your multimeter the wires to check for broken wires and still the warning comes up on occassion, read on what I found on another board, even confirmed by some more E36 owners......

Finally fixed my "Check Coolant Level" warning while shutting off the engine. Like most others, I tried all the usual fixes that were posted on various groups with no success. Recently while replacing the thermostat I noted that inside the expansion tank there is what I would call a siphon tube that the small bypass hose from the radiator attaches to on the expansion tank. It broke off internally and was loose inside the tank. I ordered a new tank from the dealer and installed it. After the usual bleeding of the system, the check coolant level warning during engine shutdown had finally been fixed. My theory being that the cooling system could not be bled properly because of the broken tube. The air in the system was trapped because air would be drawn back into system through the broken tube. Normally the tube would extend below the coolant level in the tank and during bleeding the trapped air would be purged and not drawn back into the cooling system. With the tube broken or cracked air is drawn back into the system displacing coolant. While the car is not running the coolant level appears good but during driving the coolant drops as the air in the system circulates with the coolant. This trips the OBC and the warning comes on after shutdown. So check your expansion tank for this possible problem. unquote

this was confirmed by several people.

have to check that also on my M3, already cleaned plug and pins. Still sometimes get warnings although level is o.k.

Also will change the voltage regulator on the 80A Bosch alternator, battery light is on, checked voltage, no more charging. Ordered new voltage regulator already and another used 140A Bosch alternator I secured from the Japanese auction house as spare for the case that other items in existing alternator are defective.
    Last edited by shogun; 07-14-2016 at 08:10 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    a question with regard to the keyless entry of United Auto Security, they mention that they have the cable looms with plugs, so no need to cut any wires, which I like.
    "Plug-in harness for easy installation-Plug-in wiring harness"
    Anyone could please check on their system the brand name + part numbers of the plugs and let me know the pin qty type/diameter?
    As the shipping cost only for the system from USA to Japan is about $50, I try to use a local offered keyless remote system, but I would like to make the fitting wire looms so there is no need to cut wires. Thanks for any input.

Update: Maybe I found the part number for U.S. alarm port plug and contacts, should need 1 x Connector shell / plug housing 61131378138, 12 x Pins (female) 61131376204 Snap-in receptacle 2.5. 1,0-2,5MM˛, or these http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_4913

Looks like 61131376204 has been superseded by 61130007450 respect. this is pin with wire.

Pinout and more details: United-Auto-Security-alarm-and-keyless-entry-install-manual-98-Z3 http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...l-manual-98-Z3

For the siren, it is mentioned they have connector 61121382263 and a pair of pins 61130007444 .I also found mention of the single-pin hood/radio sensor connector: Female 61131378460 alarm side, Male 61131378465 car harness side.
    Found the info in this link http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=keyless+entry
    Not 100% sure if that also applies for my 1998 E36 M3
    Last edited by shogun; 10-27-2020 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just passed the Japanese Shaken test for the next 2 years. Shaken = the name of the vehicle inspection program in Japan. In total I had to pay almost $1000 for
    Paperwork fee
    Inspection fee
    Compulsory vehicle insurance
    Vehicle weight tax

The process of the shaken involves these steps:
    exterior inspection to ensure the vehicle meets Japanese exterior regulations and does not have illegal exterior modifications such as extreme body kits that increase the exterior dimensions.
    wheel alignment inspection to ensure the vehicle has its wheels in-line and can turn correctly. That is automatically done while I drive over the test stand
    speedometer inspection to ensure the vehicle's speedometer is accurate. Had to accelerate to 40 km/h twice and the vehicle's speedometer reading will be recorded
    headlamp inspection to ensure that the vehicle's headlights are correctly placed and aligned. Headlights must emit white or yellow light, and be aimed correctly
    brake inspection / test to ensure the brakes work correctly.
    exhaust gas inspection which includes testing carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions along with exhaust noise levels. All oxygen sensors must be in working order, exhaust noise is tested.
    undercarriage inspection which includes looking at suspension parts. No bushings broken or in bad condition. All control arms must be in working order. No rust/corrosion on springs, struts or other suspension components. vehicle must also meet minimum height requirements which will be checked by referencing the lowest part of the vehicle (not including the suspension components). For vehicles with 200–249 cm wheelbase they must be 8 cm off the ground and vehicles with 250–299 cm wheelbase they must be 9 cm off the ground. For all other vehicles for every 50 cm over 299 cm in wheelbase add .5 cm to the minimum height and for vehicles under 200 cm in wheelbase subtract .5 cm to the minimum height.
    Also some other strange things are checked, for example the window washwater system must be working, electric windows must work and that is tested.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    That $1000 doesn't sound as bad as I thought if insurance is included. Or am I misunderstanding?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That is just the compulsory vehicle insurance = the absolute minimum insurance for other vehicle damages, property damage etc , in addition I have voluntary vehicle insurance which covers more.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    How much does the voluntary add? I pay around $130/month for my coverage so you're initially bad sounding inspection is seeming like more of a deal...
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder2k7 View Post
    How much does the voluntary add? I pay around $130/month for my coverage so you're initially bad sounding inspection is seeming like more of a deal...
    Initially bad? That inspection is terrible! Makes CA smog look like a joke. The breadth of things inspected is pretty incredible honestly. As much as I'm for safety via roadworthiness, this is kinda overboard.

I had heard Japan's inspections were tough but I didn't know it was like this. I'm assuming that if a car doesn't pass it won't be allowed to drive on the road. Which leads to questions like how does the bosozoku community survive? Or really any of the highly modified cars out there? Is it like CA where you might have to "have a guy"?
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder2k7 View Post
    Basically the same as in the U.S., so the cost depends on what is selected. There are many factors that affect your car insurance rates, including your age, gender, where you live, your credit and driving history and the type of car you drive, among others. I am now at the highest discount because of no accidents, no penalty points on the driver's licence gives also some discount.

All this is not the major cost, the highest cost one has with the express way toll fee, private road toll fee, private bridge toll fee. Examples, just skip the last 2 zero's and you have the approx $ http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2354.html
    Fuel is approx. $1.30/Liter, not per gallon, so also much more expensive than in the U.S. And a parking lot in Tokyo can cost you easily $300-500/month. Without registered parking space within an radius of 2 km from your home: no car registration possible.

I'm assuming that if a car doesn't pass it won't be allowed to drive on the road. Which leads to questions like how does the bosozoku community survive?
    if it does not pass shaken=not street legal. Bosozoku: Police clampdowns and more stringent and restrictive shaken vehicle inspections have been effective. And when they drive to the strict bi-annual shaken, all the illegal stuff is probably removed to get the sticker. After that they modify again.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post

if it does not pass shaken=not street legal. Bosozoku: Police clampdowns and more stringent and restrictive shaken vehicle inspections have been effective. And when they drive to the strict bi-annual shaken, all the illegal stuff is probably removed to get the sticker. After that they modify again.
    Sounds like how you get by in CA just to a wider range of the car. Cool info, thanks for the share!
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    2 e9's, 320is, 996 Turbo
    Shogun, Quick question, I own an e32 (which you have helped me with previously) and I recently purchased a 1999 M3, 2-door coupe which I really like. If it had the Euro spec engine I might prefer it over the 2001 996 Porsche Turbo, but 430 HP is quite addicting here in Texas where the speed limit on many of the roads is 80MPH +. OK, I digress- my question is; the rubber door handle gaskets that I got from you for the e32 are awesome- can you tell me if they are the same for the e36 even though they're 11 years apart? I figured you might know since you have both models.

Thanks,

Peter

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The doorhandle gaskets you got from me fit on E32, E34, E36: 4-door, 2-door, Compact, Coupe, Cabrio and Z3.
    See my offer in Forum: E34 Classifieds
    Last edited by shogun; 09-29-2017 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    It was time again for Japanese Shaken. This week I had the first time problems to pass the Japanese Shaken = roadworthy test = MOT = TUEV etc it is called all over the world, we have to visit there every 2 years to get a new sticker for the windshield.

My 98 US spec. sedan M3 was imported from the U.S. about 18 years ago by the original owner, who lived then in Georgia and moved back to Japan. The conversions have then been done by a BMW shop in Japan, I own the car since 2010.
    The shop installed Bosch EURO headlights, Bosch H1 with UK Right Hand Drive Beam Pattern, Excl. Electric Leveling Motor. 63128363084 right side, 63128363083 left side.These have of course already the so-called parking light/city light installed.
    But the turn signal wire loom they left as it was in the US version = plug has 3 wires. EURO version plug has 2 wires, so the car actually had 4 city lights in front, the 2 white ones from the new Bosch EURO headlights + the amber ones from the US parking lights.
    In that set-up the car has passed a lot of tests, never had a claim. Now the inspector told me NO GO, not allowed in Japan to have amber city lights in the front, no pass for the lights, all the other tests such as alignment, shock test, emission etc passed.
    As they do not charge an extra fee if I come the same day with a repair, I made the quick repair, I also did not have many tools with me.
    US version plug has 3 wires and the bulb has 2 contact points, one for city light, one for turn light. Used some masking tape and covered the bulb contact with that, inserted the bulb, US city light out and only the turn signal worked, rushed again to the start of the test line, showed them the new 'set-up', they were happy and I got my sticker.I will probably permanently remove the one wire from the plug connector to eliminate the city light in the amber turn signal, so that it is street legal.

update 08-15-18: meanwhile fixed it. Removed from the plugs right and left of each turn signal 1 wire which is for the parking light, now only the turn signal works as they want to have it here. Also replaced the 2 plugs which go into the parking lights, as they were too brittle, p/n is plug housing 3-pol 61131378410.
    Last edited by shogun; 08-15-2019 at 06:43 AM.

My Cars
    '94 M3 E36 S50B30
    Just passed my Shaken last month too
    Zero issue but that is still a bloody expensive time of the year, considering the weight tax coming the same month...

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    2 years have passed, just got again thru the Shaken test procedure and got the sticker for the next 2 years. Now 56.030 miles total on the clock.
    Made a maintenance before and replaced: front and rear brake disks, pads and wear sensor, additional shock absorber, front and rear and the Protection tubes for these, plus some smaller parts.
    Last edited by shogun; 07-10-2021 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Congrats on the test pass! No such tests where I live. Our state does not even do emissions testing anymore. Kind of sad in some ways. I was behind a car the other day that was just pouring oil smoke out the exhaust. Illegal? I think so. Enforcement? No.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12