Thread: Exhaust leak fix?

My Cars
    '99.5 Audi A4 2.8

Exhaust leak fix?

I have an exhaust leak somewhere around the headers, I'm assuming it's a header-downpipe flange. I think this because it seems like some previous owner broke the studs and decided to weld them without properly holding the flanges together. It's really loud when the motor's cold but gets much quieter when hot, so it can't be that big of a leak. How can I fix this? Should I just weld a bead around mating points for the flanges? They're not coming apart anyway. Or is there an easier way? I'd rather not weld in a tight space with that much plastic around since I'm not even that good.
    Last edited by Mad Cow; 02-02-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '99.5 Audi A4 2.8
    Bump, can anyone help?

My Cars
    1993 320i bmw
    You might try putting some muffler cement to it and see what happens, maybe it will hold.

My Cars
    92 325IS, 87 thunderbird turbo coupe

I had/have the same issue but only better b/c the po removed the middle hanger for some reason. The flange was completely broken off of the pipe where the center exhaust met the manifold. I removed everything from the manifolds back and welded that piece back together and thought I had it sealed but after putting it all back found out it had a small leak. Do not buy the junk paste stuff in the photo it worked for 3 days before falling off and sounding like a tiger II tank again. I think that some type of putty or moldable type exhaust repair would work best; I also get a good amount of exhaust gas inside the car if I turn the heat or air on so no long trips without the window down a little bit J I am currently saving to replace the whole exhaust system and a handful of other things. Fix it the best you can for now then get new or used exhaust from somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I had a leak around that area, turned out the actual tube around the flange cracked... welded it all over real well and no problems.

Take off the header or downpipe, weld it or replace it and do it right. That way you don't have to possibly fix it a second time.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '99.5 Audi A4 2.8
    Well I'm planning on eventually getting a full exhaust so all I need is something temporary to hold for a while. I'll try the muffler cement, didn't even know that stuff existed.

Maybe even JB weld? That just came to mind.

EDIT again: Just found something called muffler & tailpipe sealer made by permatex online, seems perfect.
    Last edited by Mad Cow; 02-05-2010 at 01:49 PM.

My Cars
    320i, 633csi, 328i
    Had the same thing- small crack right above the flange. Won ebay auction for oem 98 header, $45. with the gaskets total was $65 ( 1 header to block, 1 downpipe, 2 for the smog pump) just start soaking the bolts with penetrating lube 3-4 days before you do the job. That putty /muffler mend stuff didn't work for me, maybe you will have better luck.

My Cars
    1993 320i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    Well I'm planning on eventually getting a full exhaust so all I need is something temporary to hold for a while. I'll try the muffler cement, didn't even know that stuff existed.

Maybe even JB weld? That just came to mind.

EDIT again: Just found something called muffler & tailpipe sealer made by permatex online, seems perfect.
    Jb weld it will not hold there, muffler cement is better. Go to home depot and get some aluminum tape, is used for the insulation of air ducts, I tried on my winter car(it's Es 300) and it stayed there for about 8 months,it's not perfect but it will help(sometimes), it depends on the temperature of the place is being aplied. Here is the link to my blog http://www.carinstructions.com/exhau...r-pipe-repair/
    Hope it helps.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325iS

Exhaust Poising?

Help...I am a newbie to this E30 world. I am smelling a hint of exhaust seeping into the cab...how to I fix this issue?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Villian View Post
    Help...I am a newbie to this E30 world. I am smelling a hint of exhaust seeping into the cab...how to I fix this issue?
    2 steps to fixing your issue....1) find the leak 2) post this in the e30 forum

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325iS
    how do I find the leak?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci coupe
    Im looking at this 2001 BMW 325ci and theres an exhaust leak. The reason I know is because there is white smoke coming out the exhaust. What do yall think is the problem? It also needs a new o2 sensor and a hose for a air leak. How much for all this?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Quote Originally Posted by berto412 View Post
    Im looking at this 2001 BMW 325ci and theres an exhaust leak. The reason I know is because there is white smoke coming out the exhaust. What do yall think is the problem? It also needs a new o2 sensor and a hose for a air leak. How much for all this?
    An exhaust leak makes white smoke huh? Sounds like u got bigger issues.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    85 Bronco II, 92 Honda

Exhaust Leak At the Flange *** not a spam ***

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    I have an exhaust leak somewhere around the headers, I'm assuming it's a header-downpipe flange. I think this because it seems like some previous owner broke the studs and decided to weld them without properly holding the flanges together. It's really loud when the motor's cold but gets much quieter when hot, so it can't be that big of a leak. How can I fix this? Should I just weld a bead around mating points for the flanges? They're not coming apart anyway. Or is there an easier way? I'd rather not weld in a tight space with that much plastic around since I'm not even that good.
    I had constant leaks in my non-ford vehicle. After failing state inspections because I couldnt find an aftermarket fix to my leaking flange, I designed one. No cutting, no replacing the flange which usually becomes heat fatigued and bends letting out hot exhaust gases and not welding. C Flange Bracket is what I called it. This is not a spam or gimmick. This is a real American designed fix. I suspect, besides sealing the cabin from outside airflow, exhaust fumes that can be smelled from within the cabin is resulting from a crack in the exhaust system or from a failed connector component. A small leak can become a big problem.

This is how the C Flange Bracket works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBdFKlVRh48

Do post picts and please comment. And plz do not remove. This is a public forum for expressing ideas and I am simply do so.