Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Simple explanations, FAQ

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    The factory uses ISTA/D as well, although the factory doesn't do much diagnosis at all. They do development and production.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    e46 323cab
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Now is where you research begins - look at DIS/GT1 threads on this forum for links to software and installation instructions and when you have decided what you are going with, choose cables from there. If I was only interested in DIS/GT1 for an OBD2 compliant 2005 model, I would probably begin with ebay for a VAGCOM KKL interface based on a FTDI FT232Rx chipset.

Hi David,,i have an 2000 model e46 323ci convertible..could you guide me to the programs i need..i want to use those extra features like open and close the convertible with my key buttons,and also i would like to uppgrade the engine management with newer sofftware ..like tune it upp,,i have recently downloaded something named easy dis machine with programs like Easy dis and GT1 v44 - SSS - Inpa ediabas 4.4.7/5.02 - VMware - carsoft..
    PLEASE What do i need..my car has both obd and that round thing under the engine bonnet..im a noob so please help

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    From memory Europe did not adopt the US OBD2 rules until about 2004 so you would definitely be better off accessing your car's diagnostic system via the round BMW 20 pin diagnostic port under the bonnet. I would suggest that you stick with INPA (including NCS Expert & WinKFP) and DIS rather than aftermarket software like Carsoft. If the round 20 pin diagnostic port does not have a metal contact and voltage on pin 15, look for an OBD interface that has the ability to detect a true ignition signal rather than one that uses an emulated signal as some coding service functions require you to cycle the ignition switch and interfaces with an emulated ignition signal will not be able to detect cycling of the ignition switch. This usually results in the software hanging or the procedure failing to be completed. If you don't plan on updating to a car built after 03/2007 any time soon I would avoid purchasing a K+DCAN interface as most use an emulated ignition signal and if the pedigree of the interface is unknown there is no way of knowing for sure whether it will work at all. There is a vendor on ebay selling modified VAGCOM interfaces with true ignition sensing capability at reasonable rates. Bear in mind also when updating modules in your car that BMW software is not backwards-compatible, meaning that if you update a module using ISTA, you will no longer be able to use PROGMAN or DIS v44 for this purpose - you can only use the same type and version (or a later version) in future.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Where are these $20 cables? I do not see them for that cheap. I have a 1998 E39 and need the 20 pin adapter also. The cheap cables don't show battery or ignition info right?

I am looking for a cheap cable & adapter set that will do it all. They seem to be $50-100 at least. Maybe I am looking at the wrong one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281128248013...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Diagnost...item2356b4c13d

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    If the round 20 pin diagnostic port does not have a metal contact and voltage on pin 15...
    I am just trying to digest all of this. I have a metal contact and voltage on pin 15. I have a 1998 E39 528i, 5 speed. What does this mean for me? Just looking for the correct cable for the best possible price. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    1998 E39-528i, 2005 E60-545i

My Cars
    328i Conv
    Hello, does this Gt1 stuff work on a 2011 E93 328i?

Also, will these cables work or do I have to find one specific for GT1?
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684

I have read the posts and I saw where it said i need to get application specific cables, but most cables dont list GT1. Or if they do is much more money.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    R

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No, you will need ISTA. Google for a copy of Rheingold (ISTA/D) and read up on how to configure it for use with a K+DCAN interface, which is the most economical one to use for your car.

My Cars
    328i Conv
    Thank you, will do.

Regards,
    R

My Cars
    2009 X3
    Been reading through this thread. Great information but a bit overwhelming to a new BMW owner. I have a 2007 328i. I am not sure I know which software or cable I should be using. I found a site to download BMW Standard tools v2.12. Is this what I need to be able to perform diagnosis and coding? Which cable do I need? I would like to be able to perform diagnosis and possibly some coding later on.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650i convertibl
    I feel incredibly guilty posting yet another "What specifically do I need" question, but in all candor despite my techie background I've gotten lost trying to track all the info in this thread. (Yes, a chart / wiki would be wonderful, but I understand the time challenge that entails.)

I have an e64 2006 650i. My immediate need is to clear an passenger restraint system fault from a failed passenger seat pressure sensor, but I also want full info and fault-clearing access to all systems; I doubt that coding/programming is in my future. I have Windows-based laptops that would need to be used in docking stations to enable RS232 port access, so USB cqbvling would be preferred. What software and hardware should I be looking for? (Links would be much appreciated!) Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Alan

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650i convertibl
    [Bumping this up] I could really use some guidance on this. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by askay View Post
    I feel incredibly guilty posting yet another "What specifically do I need" question, but in all candor despite my techie background I've gotten lost trying to track all the info in this thread. (Yes, a chart / wiki would be wonderful, but I understand the time challenge that entails.)

I have an e64 2006 650i. My immediate need is to clear an passenger restraint system fault from a failed passenger seat pressure sensor, but I also want full info and fault-clearing access to all systems; I doubt that coding/programming is in my future. I have Windows-based laptops that would need to be used in docking stations to enable RS232 port access, so USB cqbvling would be preferred. What software and hardware should I be looking for? (Links would be much appreciated!) Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Alan
    Best,
    Alan
    Berkeley, California
    e64 650i convertible (history goes back through e28 M5 to 2002tiis)

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Most freely available interface is probably a K+DCAN - for a 2006 model you will need to run it in KCAN mode, which means that pins 7 & 8 will need to be bridged - some interfaces can do this with a switch, an adapter that installs between the interface and the OBD port or by having the pins physically soldered together. The switch is the best option in my opinion, but the adapter also works well - soldering the pins is a bit of a waste as it permanently defeats the ability of the interface to run in DCAN mode unless you desolder the pins.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330ci coupe/ver
    ok guys, i've gone thru this with my 86 vette, I have a laptop running windows 7 pro, i want a package for my 2006 330 ci vert, (e46) i want to diagnose, (not race) and also reset all these anoying battery and service codes, I have a good working knowledge of injector systems and software, so what is a good software package for me.
    Thanks Tom

My Cars
    F12 Convertible
    Wow this is a super thread. I've scanned thru a lot of it but honestly not all of it..... can someone recommend a good interface package allowing me to do dealer level coding on my 2012 650i F12? Thanks!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    For F series cars the only real option is ISTA/D for diagnostics and ISTA/P for coding and programming as late INPA files are hard to come by. Ideally you would use an ICOM interface with this software. Alternatively, if you are looking for something that will provide dealer level diagnostic capabilities with some general coding functions, have a look at Carly for BMW Pro - you can read about the current coding capabilities here http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...t-is-possible/. I have both the iOS and Android versions, which use WiFi and Bluetooth adapters, saving me having to lug my laptop and a bunch of interfaces around. For general use, I find this to be an excellent product, with functionality that has improved with each free update.

My Cars
    535i

Here is what bought for my cable and it included a male to fem odb2 pinnout

BMW INPA / Ediabas K+DCAN USB Interface

List price: $99.00 Price: $69.00
    You save: $30.00 (30%)
    -30%

Quantity:
    Add to wish list

• Description
    • Send to friend
    • Tags

This Interface allows FULL diagnostic of BMW's build from 1998 - 2013...and more
    Some more detailed information:
    OBD2 vehicles:
    Each and every OBD2 equipped vehicle is supported by this Interface.
    There are only two exceptions to this, if you have an older vehicle with both, the OBD2 and the 20pin connector installed the 20pin connector must be used for factory diagnostic since the OBD2 connector will not be fully wired. (This is only the case for a very small number of vehicles manufactured at the time OBD2 became mandatory) The second exception are F series vehicles, this limitation is actually not caused by the Interface but by the older diagnostic software that does not officially support those vehicles.

Older 20pin vehicles:
    E39 and up are fully supported as well - however please be aware that you will need an suitable OBD2 to 20pin adapter cable that is not included with this Interface and must be purchased separately

E34/E36/E38 vehicles are only partially supported, you won't be able to access all modules inside them, if you need full access to them please review our OBD/ADS Interface.

Latest F series vehicles:
    The interface is still fully compatible with those vehicles, however they are not officially supported by the old Ediabas based diagnostic system / software.

Works with INPA, SSS, Progman and all other Ediabas handler based Software.
    ( All functions as in Omitec Interface )

The smallest, best looking & highest quality of it's kind.

Functions:
    - Read & erase errors
    - Adaptations
    - Coding
    - Reprogramming
    - And others...

Models that require D-CAN:
    - E60, E61 after 3/2007
    - E83 after 9/2006
    - E81, E87 after 3/2007
    - E90, E91, E92, E93 after 3/2007
    - E70 (New X5)
    - R56 (New Mini)
    - New F Series
    - As well as all other new models...

Features:
    - Connects to USB (built in 1,5m long USB Cable, creates virtual comport)
    - Double K-Line support (See Screenshot) Please also read the backward compatibility Application Note
    - High Speed D-CAN and PT-CAN support (500 kbit/s) (See Screenshot)
    - Low Speed PT-CAN support (100 kbit/s)
    - Battery voltage detection by control line (See Screenshot)
    - Ignition voltage detection by control line (See Screenshot)

Package contains:
    INPA / Ediabas K+DCAN USB Interface - 1
    K+DCAN OBD2 female to OBD2 male Adapter for extended backward compatibility - 1
    Please be aware that we do not include software for this Item neither on disc nor by download

For a General Introduction into diagnostic on BMW vehicles please download / open and read this PDF document carefully:
    General_Introduction.pdf

For information about driver download and installation please download / open and read this PDF document carefully:
    Installation_Manual.pdf

For information regarding backward compatibilty for older K-Line equipped vehicles please download / open and read this PDF document carefully:
    APN_Backwards_Compatibility.pdf

For information regarding connection issues on DCAN equipped vehicles please download / open and read this PDF document carefully:
    APN_Connection_Stability.pdf

For Driver downloads please go directly to the FTDI Driver Page:
    FTDI VCP Driver Page

F.A.Q:
    Q: I have an older BMW with OBD2 Connector (16 pin) which uses K-Line - will this Interface work?
    A: Yes this interface will also work on older OBD2 BMW's using K-Line, however there is a cheaper option for you - please check our other auctions. Also make sure to download / open and read the Application note regarding the backward compatibility of older, with K-Line equipped vehicles.

Q: I have an rather new BMW with OBD2 Connector which uses D-CAN can't I use a simple (cheap) Interface?
    A: No, you need a interface which supports D-CAN such as the one offered in this auction, there is no K-Line available in the new cars anymore so you will not be able to communicate with the car using a K-Line only based Interface.

Q: How does this Interface work?
    A: It's setup as a STD:OBD2 Interface and translates all commands / traffic to and from the D-CAN Bus.

Q: I have seen other auctions from other vendors for a higher / lower price, what's the difference ?
    A: Usually the price and the quality - Since our Interfaces are assembled and tested to the highest quality standards, It's up to you (the customer) to compare price, product and terms and make your decision according to that.

Q: I have an very old BMW that have an 20pin OBD1 connector under the hood, can I use this interface?
    A: Basically - yes, however you would need an OBD2 16pin female to OBD1 20pin adaptercable and certain cars would even require a real RS232 ADS Interface to gain access to all modules - given all that we do NOT recommend using this interface on OBD1 20 pin vehicles, please download / open and read the Application note regarding the backward compatibility of older, with K-Line equipped vehicles.

Q: How much is the shipping to my destination?
    A: Worldwide shipping by Airmail is FREE of charge, however if you require courier service such as DHL there will be a surcharge depedning on the weight and your destination.

If you did not find an answer to your product related question - please feel free to contact us and we will reply you as soon as possible to the extend of our knowledge.

My Cars
    e60, e90
    im having difficulties to get INPA work with my E34. Currently im at stage where inpa "works" with ADS-interface, meaning that program starts up but won't connect to any modules(tried ABS/AIRBAG). I have successfully reset airbags erros in past with same computer. Only difference now is that i have Megasquirt ECU, does that influence on INPA's working? I have also tried older version of INPA with no luck. Currently inpa shows black dots on battery and ingnition when i plug the cable to car even though ignition is off. Do i need modified .ipo files to get ADS interface working? Or something modified? Car is 1992 model.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456