Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Simple explanations, FAQ

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post
    After this and a few other threads I'm totally confused as to which is the best route to take.

For my E46 I just want to get rid of bulb out warning from a LED tail light retrofit, activate alarm, roll up my windows with remote and possibly turn off the corner lights.

Would this be the correct cable to get?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150572031912&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Also, which software should I use? GT1? NCSexpert? other?
    Just e46 and newer without K-Dcan
    Search for
    NEW Ediabas/INPA 4 BMW 100% compatible OBDII Interface on ebay

E30 to up to non K-DCAN

BMW INPA / Ediabas OBD & ADS Interface

or

http://doitauto.de/product/en/BMW-Di...e.html?page=f1

Newer 07 + k-dcan cars

Search for K-dcan interface
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Just e46 and newer without K-Dcan
    Search for
    NEW Ediabas/INPA 4 BMW 100% compatible OBDII Interface on ebay

E30 to up to non K-DCAN

BMW INPA / Ediabas OBD & ADS Interface

or

http://doitauto.de/product/en/BMW-Di...e.html?page=f1

Newer 07 + k-dcan cars

Search for K-dcan interface

would this work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-I...item230ecadfa8

I need something with USB interface

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Not on e46's. I suggest you browse craigslist for old dell laptops with a serial port.

for a d630 or anything with a RS232 Serial port
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    Hi I would like to clarify sth
    how should I compare ELM327+OBDII software on PC/WM/Android with Carsoft/GT1/DIS?
    My aim is mainly for diagnostic purpose

and can ELM327 be used as connection for Carsoft/GT1/DIS?

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by betaruce View Post
    Hi I would like to clarify sth
    how should I compare ELM327+OBDII software on PC/WM/Android with Carsoft/GT1/DIS?
    My aim is mainly for diagnostic purpose

and can ELM327 be used as connection for Carsoft/GT1/DIS?
    I have the ELM327 bluetooth, ELM3232 serial, both are fine for OBDII - Emissions related things -You can clear codes, view codes, look at PIDs(Parameters like Coolant, Oil Temps etc). I have an Android App with Elm327 bluetooth and it is a very nice portable little tool for sure, BUT it is very limited in comparison to what is typically discussed here - INPA/NCS /DIS/SSS/Progman- these are BMW OEM software tools that allow you to communicate and program ALL of the computer modules in your car, like ABS unit etc. ELM only communicates with the one emissions related computer.

I am quite sure you can NOT use Elm327 with Carsoft.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    I have a 1998 E39 and a Dell D630 (which has an RS232) and would like to use GT1 or something similar to wipe the VIN out of a used Transmission Control Module if possible.

Will GT1 or any other software do this?

If so, I have a Galletto 1260 OBD 2 EOBD ECU Remap Flasher Tool and a ODB2-20 pin converter that allows me to use the PA Soft BMW Scanner demo flawlessly.

Would this also work with INPA and GT1? If so, I must be doing something wrong because neither of those work.

The cable above can be seen here.
    Last edited by E39Fisch; 09-28-2011 at 06:43 PM.

My Cars
    ´00 330Ci - R1150RT MBK
    This is the best post, in addition of the others from Randomy I´ve ever seen on the web concerning to diagnostics issues...

Now I feel I´m leaving the tunnel and see the daylight...!!!!, and I think I have enough info (and probably good support) to get my diagnostic laptop up and running...!

Wanna to start it ASAP...!

Tons of regards from Spain...and thanks so much...!!!

My Cars
    e39
    Help !

I have a carsoft 6.5 cable that has worked on a laptop with XP no problem. The laptop has died and i tried to reinstall the sofware on CD to another one - this is now showing as having a virus and will not install. Is there aplace to obtain just the 6.5 sofware ?

Enzosdream

My Cars
    08 X3
    Can someone please tell me what exactly SSS is?

Currently I installed easyDIS GT1/DIS v44. Was straight foward.
    I also installed INPA/Edbias and configured it accordingly. But I am still unclear what the SSS is?

I have a 02 330XI, want to be able to reset error codes, and program features/functions. Planned on ordering aVAG-COM cable. When I say to program functions/features I mean like DRL, pass side mirror to roll down on reverse, all windows close on remote key LOCK etc..

Am I currently good with the setup of stuff I have or do I need to installed NCS and SSS? As far as I understand those are more powerfull tools?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    After DIS v44, BMW developed SSS as a program for coding and programming modules only. The later versions of DIS are only used for diagnostics and unlike DIS v44 do not have the capability to code or program modules. So if you are working on cars later than 2004, you are probably better off using DIS v57 for diagnostics and SSS for coding and programming as DIS v44 may not contain the necessary files for the later vehicles.

My Cars
    08 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    After DIS v44, BMW developed SSS as a program for coding and programming modules only. The later versions of DIS are only used for diagnostics and unlike DIS v44 do not have the capability to code or program modules. So if you are working on cars later than 2004, you are probably better off using DIS v57 for diagnostics and SSS for coding and programming as DIS v44 may not contain the necessary files for the later vehicles.
    That sums it up nicely! Thanks a lot Davic Mc

My Cars
    97 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    So after reading this post, I think I may understand it a little better finally.

I have a 97 e39 528. I dont plan on owning anything newer than 2004 as far as bmw goes for right now.

I want to be able to get into all modules of the vehicle, for diagnosis and programming. But you will also never see me at the stealership, so I also want to be able to do things like code modules, lets say LCM, IKE, DME...

So by this post, I should assume, working on a 97 528i, i would be able to do everything (diag, prog, and coding) with DIS v44?

Also I plan to buy an older laptop just for this, obviously, something with a serial port, any specific specs?

What cable to buy for this, I honestly dont really have a pot to piss in, and I really don't want to modify and cables if I don't have to...
    97 Aspen Silver on Schwartz/Technical Graphite. 196k miles. 140k M52. S50 cams. E38 comfort seats. More to come soon.

My Cars
    someone needs to organize and make a sticky of whats available and for what model yrs.

there are far to many options and a plethora of confusing information.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Not on e46's. I suggest you browse craigslist for old dell laptops with a serial port.

for a d630 or anything with a RS232 Serial port
    D-Can cables work fine on E46s. I personally use one. You just have to set the cable to the K+CAN or CAN-OFF mode.

Quote Originally Posted by breakfast View Post
    someone needs to organize and make a sticky of whats available and for what model yrs.

there are far to many options and a plethora of confusing information.
    Which is why it's too daunting a task for "someone" to document. I think a wiki would do wonders for this info... I really should get around to setting one up.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-14-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    I dont think it would be to daunting for some of the seasoned folks on this forum.

what works, what doesnt. which need ads, which dont etc etc etc. Even I am starting to pick most of this up hanging out here but Ive been putting in hours and hours of reading.

it would be nice to have a nice basic over view chart/thread of whats available.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfast View Post
    I dont think it would be to daunting for some of the seasoned folks on this forum.

what works, what doesnt. which need ads, which dont etc etc etc. Even I am starting to pick most of this up hanging out here but Ive been putting in hours and hours of reading.

it would be nice to have a nice basic over view chart/thread of whats available.
    If it were that easy, it would've been done by now. While much of the process is common sense, writing a guide for common sense is very difficult since you have to take into account thought processes that just don't seem logical at all. This isn't exactly a day job for any of us, so none of us are going to spend hours on making a guide that probably would end up going unnoticed anyway

My Cars
    thats some flawed logic :/

My Cars
    04 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    If it were that easy, it would've been done by now. While much of the process is common sense, writing a guide for common sense is very difficult since you have to take into account thought processes that just don't seem logical at all. This isn't exactly a day job for any of us, so none of us are going to spend hours on making a guide that probably would end up going unnoticed anyway
    I would be willing to work on this together considering all the help you have given me. Let me polish up what I have so far and feel free to edit it as you see fit. Would you like it in Word or PDF?

I have been trying to get my stuff straight and a set up guide as you know from E46 Fanatics. So maybe us writing this will help me figure the 1 small glitch I am dealing with.

Thoughts??

My Cars
    2000 528i 2000 740iL
    Im more confused then when I came in. I just downloaded
    BMW DIS V57 SSS V32 TIS V8

I have the old carsoft interface and 20pin plug plus an obd2 plug, can I use any of these to work with the above software, or do I need the yellow plug. Then I ran into ops and opps and to my understanding opps does what ops and GT1 combined. too much information to try to make any sense of. I need a good setup for a shop ( owner is a good friend) right now we are calling 3rd parties to come diagnose and the carsoft just has too many issues and not for a shop. Can someone recommend a setup with pins plugs and what it will be capable of reading/programming. I will go lurking around the regular forum now see whats happening. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    E39it, 03 M5, F10 535
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330606867879?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-20-Pin-OBDII-Round-Adapter-Male-20-Pin-To-Female-16-Pin-OBD-Connector-/270894852615?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3 f12976a07&vxp=mtr

BASS528, I ordered these on ebay and both work very well. The software with the OBD cables do not require a serial port in the laptop and the seller (even though is in europe) answered all my installation questions very quickly. Software does come with installation vids and PDF's. I have used the setup for Diagnostics/Coding 00' E39, 06' E83, and 07' E60 and no problems so far. Software installation was pretty much unpacking the software with winrar and pasting to hard drive then changing some settings and installing some programs.

Side note; I co-own a small shop in Calif. and software has come in very usefull. Best $$ investment I've done.
    E39 M5, E39 SC Touring, F10
    "Beating My Wallet" but loving it!

My Cars
    2000 528i 2000 740iL
    Just what I needed cds with the tool and support for cheap. Cant beat it. he has another auction for 43 you know the difference. Nice of you directing others to your functioning system. thanks a bunch.

Any limitations with this setup compared to others? So many cables out there hard to choose or tell the difference.
    Last edited by bass528; 03-05-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2007 Peugeot 407
    guys i'm a little confused , which one do you think is better ?!

BMW USB OBD Diagnostic cable INPA Ediabas DIS SSS GT1
    +20 pin to OBD II
    Or Bmw Scanner V 1.4
    +20pin to OBD II
    is this BMW scanner unlocked ? or it's just demo version ?

can i use one interface for other one ?

i also may need to diag programin coding e36

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by XerQus View Post
    guys i'm a little confused , which one do you think is better ?!

BMW USB OBD Diagnostic cable INPA Ediabas DIS SSS GT1
    +20 pin to OBD II
    Or Bmw Scanner V 1.4
    +20pin to OBD II
    is this BMW scanner unlocked ? or it's just demo version ?

can i use one interface for other one ?

i also may need to diag programin coding e36
    If you are intending to use your interface on an E36 neither of these cables will give full diagnostic capacity. If you purchase a switchable ADS/OBD interface, it will cover E36's and all models covered by the EDIABAS compatible OBD II interface, but you will need a true serial port on your computer.

David Mc

My Cars
    1999 540i
    OK, well now that my head is spinning after reading and trying to comprehend all of this, I have a new question to throw into the mix! Is there any of the software out there that is Mac compatible? I currently only have Mac laptops. If needed, I could buy an old windows machine somewhere. I am just so confused! All I want to do is be able to read and clear the codes on my 1997 E39 540i. I want the ability to read, diagnose and clear codes for the CEL and SRS at the minimum. I do not want to rewrite stuff, or mess with engineering type stuff. Can someone give me a reference to a fairly simple software setup, and which cables, adaptors and plugs I would need? I assume that I would need the OBD II under the dash and the round 20 pin under the hood. Am I anywhere near close? I have never taken a car to the dealership, I work as a systems mechanic on very complicated commercial aircraft, but all the diagnostic software is pre installed in them! So, I am not completely retarded, just confused and lost with this crap! Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    M3

Cleaning up the Picture

My head is spinning with all the acronyms; need a grounding point to start at.

Ok i need some clarification because I am a little bit on the slow side.....or maybe a lot.

Need: diagnostics and programability on E53 x5 / E46 M3 / E91 328IT

Software I currently have: V39 - DIS GT1 SSS CIP TIS downloaded from a source. Do i need something different or a newer version?
    Hardware: IBM touchpad T30 running windows XP? Will other laptops work? What are the Min requirements?
    Cables: 16 Pin OBDII USB?(is this a special cable that actually does something other than transfer Data?)

As I understand it from what I have read (read...not really understood) all the functions of the BMW hardware (the yellow head) are emulated by the software on the computer (no communicator or middle device needed).

Thanks for your help clearing this up for me.
    r,
    Dallas

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast