Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Simple explanations, FAQ

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Ragnar, I have used the do-it-auto interface without issue on the cars you have mentioned and find it performs well. According to RV8flyboy's latest post, he has modified his ADS interface to enable it to read OBD compliant cars as well and although I have not used or reviewed his interface, I believe that he is a reliable person and would produce a quality product.

SB - Depending on the exact build date, you may find find that the 2007 Z4 uses BMW's updated diagnostic system which will not be compatible with the Chinese interface you have mentioned.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    SB - Depending on the exact build date, you may find find that the 2007 Z4 uses BMW's updated diagnostic system which will not be compatible with the Chinese interface you have mentioned.
    Thanks man, I bought "Diagnostic interface for BMW Ediabas / INPA Software 100% compatible with the original BMW Interface and all it's functions (english desc on bottom)" (china) from ebay today for 20,- EUR, I'll give it a shot...

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Hi all, I have recently purchased a chinese Diagonistic Head and am trying to learn my way around the DIS and SSS software. My first job is to turn on the OEM alarm system I purchased and installed. The softeare supplied with the DH is DIS 57 / SSS 32 I think.

I have a really dumb question now, how do you exit out of the DIS system so you can bootos 3 into the SSS system? The Exit button in the program just reboots the system back into DIS again.

Thanks, David

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Try this:

First start the DIS program then,

Control+ALT+F1 hold them for a few seconds, then you need to login.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Anybody here belong to bmwecu.org, how do you get invited??

Great thread btw, feel like an azz for not finding it sooner..

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I am a member and have been waiting months for a moderator to issue me with some invitation codes - you would think I had asked for his first born child.

My Cars
    325ci, 325i, 530i

Confused about what cable to get

Hello. After reading numerous posts for about a week now, I finally have DIS/GT1 running. I have a 2004 530i and am very confused with which cable to buy. My computer is newer and does not have an R232 serial port, just usb ports.Can anyone tell me what cable I need to buy that will work to diagnose my car airbag light which came on last week. Dealer wants $120.00 to do so, ain't going happen. Thanks

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by surenp View Post
    Hello. After reading numerous posts for about a week now, I finally have DIS/GT1 running. I have a 2004 530i and am very confused with which cable to buy. My computer is newer and does not have an R232 serial port, just usb ports.Can anyone tell me what cable I need to buy that will work to diagnose my car airbag light which came on last week. Dealer wants $120.00 to do so, ain't going happen. Thanks
    K-CAN USB to OBD2 - or modified VAGCOM with FTDI chip.

Or you can buy the very popular K+DCAN cable on ebay.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 520d
    I have a 2006 520d, has an OBD2 port near the hood release an a Optical port in the glovebox. I have a genuine HEX-COM+CAN that i used on my audi's in the past and was easy to use.

My question is will the K+DCAN cable give me the same functionality? or will i need the DIS/OPS on a T30.

My first job is to change the battery with an AGM type, but an investment for diagnostics in the future... £500 to set up the yellowhead is a lot and if i can do it cheaper then all the better.

Many thanks.

My Cars
    93 e30 327i / 95 e34 540
    About Progman itself:

Does it have any major advantages (except for being easier to use) when you don't want to actually update the car software, just "basic" coding things?
    In that case NCSExpert should be totally enough, shouldn't it?

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffi View Post
    About Progman itself:

Does it have any major advantages (except for being easier to use) when you don't want to actually update the car software, just "basic" coding things?
    In that case NCSExpert should be totally enough, shouldn't it?
    NCSExpert is a nice tool for quickly and easily changing simple coding options, but it has next to no documentation when it comes to what its various parameters actually do to the car and has no information on possible conflicts with other settings or when multiple settings are needed to enable a particular feature. Revtor's NCSDummy helps a lot, but there's certainly a need for a comprehensive guide for all options across the various models.

My Cars
    93 e30 327i / 95 e34 540
    i think with ncsdummy it's quite easy to get this stuff done, but that didn't really answer my question :/

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    I thought it was implicit in my answer. If you know already what to change, then yes, NCSExpert should be fine.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    For easy programming on the E60 you want the optical interface. If you can modify the software to program over the OBD-II it will take a long time.

ICOM is only USD 2900!

Then you get into the issue is the car software newer than yours.. won't work. Car software is too older than yours... asks you to upgrade (see above.)

My Cars
    93 e30 327i / 95 e34 540
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    I am a member and have been waiting months for a moderator to issue me with some invitation codes - you would think I had asked for his first born child.
    so, was it worth the hassle?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The invitation codes were for friends who are also members of this forum. I was never issued them. Unfortunately the owner of the bmwecu.org forum, (Ken "Fister" Martin) has been missing in action for some time and some of the "Moderators" (who don't seem to wish to be identified) leave a lot to be desired in terms of their administration of the board in Ken's absence.

My Cars
    93 e30 327i / 95 e34 540
    would't be a big surprise if he had bmw legal dpt up his ass
    but thats becoming very ot now, btt

My Cars
    I just started to read up on this.

what a nightmare this all is. Ive always wondered why there is no easy open source solution for tuning(like there is for virtually every other make out there)...

download software, plug cable in and go. But with all this mess I can sort of see why.

Regardless its sad that much of the info has not be shared with the community like it has with many other makes.
    Last edited by breakfast; 01-24-2011 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    Focus > E39
    Guys, I'm looking to be able to read and clear codes, be able to have live diagnosing of the engine (access to whatever readouts the injectors/ cylinders/ turbo give).
    I will not be adding/ retrofitting anything.
    It seems that Carsoft should be enough for me, or should I go straight to GT1?
    Keep in mind that this is a 2002 euro diesel E39
    Also, can someone give me a working link to the exact cables required for both carsoft and GT1?

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    I use a carsoft 6.5 cable for INPA, GT1. You just need to run the carsoft software and do LCM reading each time you plug it in to initialize the cable.

Honestly I think CarSoft 6.5 is worthless and you shouldn't even bother. INPA is 1000% better.

Just go on eBay you will find for less than 100 USD INPA USB cable.

My Cars
    Focus > E39
    I take it this works, even though it's much cheaper than the rest?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-U...motiveQ5fTools

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Something like that sounds good:

Supports Double K-Line
    Detects battery voltage through control line
    should come to you working out of the box with the only work to do on your part is setup the software.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318ti
    What is Tool 32 and how is it used?

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    Quote Originally Posted by woh View Post
    What is Tool 32 and how is it used?
    Tool32 can give you very detail information if you know where to look for the information you are after, but be VERY careful, Tool32 is even more forgiving than INPA, if you press a button there is no stopping or confirmation if you are sure.

I used Tool32 to get all the options that I could program in INPA for my car. The INPA we get with the basic setup is very limited and there are a lot more information available with Tool32 you can see which information is available, use this API's in INPA and you have a safe environment to test your car..

Start of by selecting your car's module, I have only worked on my cars engine, I guess you can monitor other modules as well with Tool32.

You will see in your INPA folder there is n DEMO folder, inside is a demo file which you can compile and it demonstrate various ways INPA can display information.

Tool32 can also run scripts but I have not played with it yet.

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    After this and a few other threads I'm totally confused as to which is the best route to take.

For my E46 I just want to get rid of bulb out warning from a LED tail light retrofit, activate alarm, roll up my windows with remote and possibly turn off the corner lights.

Would this be the correct cable to get?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Also, which software should I use? GT1? NCSexpert? other?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast