Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Simple explanations, FAQ

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Real (not fake chinese clone) yellow diaghead have test probes and wifi.

If it works with INPA you can use IFS service to talk with DIS, it is the same API.

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    I use the same cable shown in Joako's picture on my 2002 E39, it works without problems and I can access all the functions and diagnostics on DIS.

You must remember that the version of DIS_base that we install on VMWare were highly modified by the BMWECU.org guys. It was modified to make an easy installation and also to work with the software that emulate the GT1 yellow head, so in place of the GT1 head we use the server driver from EDIABAS and the yellow head emulator.

The INPA cable in the picture cannot communicate to DIS without the server running or the yellow head emulator running on Windows.

As a side note, I never could use the software that was supplied with the cable? Correct me if I am wrong but you need to run TWO installation files to install EDIABAS and INPA on you computer.

IF you plan to get DIS working I suggest to first get a working INPA going and then start to setup DIS on VMWare.

Cheers
    C

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    Hi folks,

I'm a little confused about the history/evolution of the BMW service information systems and what exactly the DIS contains. I don't have DIS and am trying to figure out if that is what I need. Have the DVD discs that contained WDS, TIS, ETK, etc been completely replaced by DIS? Does DIS now contain ALL that information.

I don't need programming or diagnostic functions - all I am looking for is Wiring Diagrams and Removal/Installation procedures and diagrams. I have a set of discs that includes the WDS for BMW and MINI (my primary interest here is with MINIs) up through the R56 (second generation MINI S), but it does not contain info for the R57 (second gen MINI convertible).

Can anyone tell me if the R57 is in the latest version of DIS (is that v57?)?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can lend,

Kevin
    Kevin Bennett
    Integral Audio
    www.integralaudio.com

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Then you don't need it. It is for diagnosing, coding and programming your vehicle. It does not replace any of the other software you have, it is supplementary to it.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    Randomy,

Thanks for the response. I'm still at a bit of a loss though. What I currently have does not cover the MINI R57, which I need. I have been told that the old TIS has been replaced by DIS.

I guess the simpler way to ask is:

1) Does the DIS contain wiring diagrams (the old WDS) and removal/installation info (the old TIS)?

2) Is v57 the latest version of DIS? Does it contain the MINI R57?

Thanks,
    Kevin

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by kabennett View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm a little confused about the history/evolution of the BMW service information systems and what exactly the DIS contains. I don't have DIS and am trying to figure out if that is what I need. Have the DVD discs that contained WDS, TIS, ETK, etc been completely replaced by DIS? Does DIS now contain ALL that information.

I don't need programming or diagnostic functions - all I am looking for is Wiring Diagrams and Removal/Installation procedures and diagrams. I have a set of discs that includes the WDS for BMW and MINI (my primary interest here is with MINIs) up through the R56 (second generation MINI S), but it does not contain info for the R57 (second gen MINI convertible).

Can anyone tell me if the R57 is in the latest version of DIS (is that v57?)?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can lend,

Kevin
    Not sure the versions. The WDS DVD I have is just HTML pages. I threw it on my home server with lighttpd and 0 modifications and it is working great. You can also just open index.html from the disc in your browser.

TIS you can install the sysadmin program in win95 directory of the disc and then install it in Windows. It will not work in 64-bit windows because the installer is 16-bit! But you can also put the same TIS disc into DIS and it will install. Of course this works better if you have a real DIS, otherwise what is the point of running it in VMware really? I also ran TIS in Linux and it works except for printing, the images are black boxes.

Also MINI R56 *should* be similar to R57, probably the older DIS can diagnose it except for roof module. The plug pinouts probably are the same as well at each module.

Maybe this helps?

Progman V27 has R56 files but not R57. The timestamps on V27 files are 10/2007.
    DIS V51 has timestamps of 7/2007 so that is too old.
    DIS V54 has timestamps of 5/2008.
    Last edited by joako; 02-22-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E30, E36, E36, E39, E83
    Quote Originally Posted by Katvis View Post
    I am under the impression that this cable can be modified to work just fine.

C
    What exactly needs to be modified?

My Cars
    E66 760Li

My Cars
    BART
    Ok, pretty basic question here...

I have an E36 '98 328i OBD-2. I want to be able to read and reset CEL, SRS, and maint. lights. Is GT1 overkill for this? Can someone tell me what I would need to accomplish what I'm looking for? The learning curve for this section is insane...

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I would like to install it to my netbook, but can install on a desktop if necessary. Also, prefer Win7 compatibility but wouldn't mind installing other OS's for it to work.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Yes, it is overkill. If this is your only intention, just buy a Carsoft interface and run v6.5 or get a couple of Peake tools.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    +2 on the Peake tools. Carsoft is really a dog by itself....
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    03' E39 540I/5
    can the ELM 327 tool be modified to run the DIS/GT1 soft?

My Cars
    Motorcars
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    This is a tall order but I will give it a shot:-

Carsoft Ultimate Home is an aftermarket diagnostic program designed to allow home mechanics to read and erase fault codes and reset service intervals. It has the capability to access most modules in your car including airbags, can display live engine data on post 1996 models and test components such as power windows and central locking. It does not perform any programming functions but can perform limited option coding on some models. Carsoft v6.5 is a pirated version of Carsoft's own v6.5 beta program, there are dozens of versions about, some with limited functionality and in languages other than English. v6.5 is not supported by the manufacturer and deals with cars up to about April 2004. Later versions of Carsoft are the genuine article, have full factory support and generally carry a 2 year warranty.

INPA is a diagnostic interpreter program that communicates with your car using BMW's own factory developed Electronic Diagnosis and Information protocol (EDIABAS). INPA is a powerful and comprehensive diagnostic tool but there is no simple handbook available that I know of which will comprehensively explain its operation or functions. The bottom line with INPA is if you do not understand what a particular function does, you are probably better off leaving that function alone, but having said that, the level of diagnostic functionality is truly exceptional.

Being the Factory diagnostic protocol, EDIABAS can accomplish virtually any programming/diagnostic or coding function, but since it is only a computer protocol, requires seperate programs to interface between the user and EDIABAS so that it can receive and trasmit instructions. For example INPA communicates with EDIABAS to perform diagnostics, NCS to perform coding and NFS to perform programming functions. NCS and NFS are not particularly user-friendly and require fairly intimate knowledge of BMW systems to use. If used incorrectly, programs which communicate via EDIABAS have the potential to destroy computer modules, making replacement the only viable option.

DIS (Diagnostic Information System) uses Dealer level programs such as GT1 to communicate with your car (again via EDIABAS). Being a dealer rather than factory level tool, the user interface is far more user friendly than INPA/NCS/NFS and allows the user to communicate diagnostic, coding and programming commands in plain English. DIS/GT1 is powerful and offers the ability to access repair information which is not available by using INPA or the Carsoft Home editions.

Having escaped the closed dealer/factory fraternity, don't expect any help or sympathy from BMW or its dealer network if you run into trouble using any of the EDIABAS based systems (i.e. INPA/NCS/NFS/DIS/GT1 etc.)

There are plenty of interface cable combinations available but I would choose the one that is tailored to the particular type of diagnostic software you choose.
    Thank you for this! It made figuring it all out much easier.

My Cars
    BMW 2007 328xi

Using VAG-COM on BMW

Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    You can use $20 or so VAG KKL cable from eBay modified, but it will not work in older cars such as E34, E36. Or it might work in these cars only for some modules.

Then in newer cars (I belive 2007+) CAN bus is used and neither ADS or OBD cables work. (I wonder what about VAG CAN cable??)
    FWIW - I have 2007 328xi and an authentic VAG-COM (now known as VCDS) HEX-COM cable (support for dual-K line but not CAN) since my previous car was Audi A4 B5.

The generic ISO/OBDII interface of this software does work on this BMW, and that gives me a pretty good tool to view and clear Check Engine codes and view live engine data and emissions testing readiness.

Just thought I'd throw that out for anyone who wants to now.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    If the HEX-COM works with your car for ISO OBD-II I don't think the car has DCAN?

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Vagcom kkl

Hi guys:

I have been doing tons of reading and thanks to David Mc and other member of bimmerforums that have taken time to provide me with valuable information and getting me to start understanding all that is involved with the INPA setup. I would like to know if the VAG COM KLL interface requires any specific modifications for it to function. A friend told me that all the interface needs is to have the driver installed/configured with Windows XP and it is set to go. I have read here that some people have to modify their interface and thus am confused. I also was wondering where i can purchase the Vag Com KKL interface based on the FTDI FT232Rx chipset as i have checked and sent emails to different ebay sellers and none of them have this specific interface with the FT232Rx chipset.

Thanks and a great day to all!

Regards,
    Mark

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Off the top of my head -BL chip should be ok. That is what is inside genuine vag-com cable.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    In light of the interest in the subject of interfaces, I have just reviewed an ADS/OBD interface, currently marketed by do-it-auto in Germany. This unit does not require mods like the VAGCOM KKL interfaces and will work with INPA/EDIABAS and DIS on most cars built between 1987 and 2007. The agents back the product with a 2 year warranty. I have posted a review on the interface here:- http://www.repairdynamics.com/do-it-...ace_review.pdf .

My Cars
    M3 E46 Cabrio
    Hello all,

the easiest way to get a 100% working interface for BMW diagonsis is to get hold of a BMW modified KL serial interface and a PCMCIA serial adapter. A KKL is not quite what you need, this is a further developed variant of the KL one where K data is also transmitted on the L line, this is needed for certain VAG models. BMW does other modifications to the standard ODBII KL interface, they use the L line for awakening of units and certain other lines for other functions, see my posts here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=144

So how do I get a BMW modified serial KL interface, easiest way is to buy a do-it-auto Ebay INPA kit, forget the software and use the NCS folder software with the OBDII cable and the ADS adapter if you need one. Get your interface and serial adapter going with INPA, if you have problems, sort the hardware out with BMW scanner demo, if this does not run your RS232 serial side is not correctly configured or you are trying to use a USB to serial adapter. It can also be that your PCMCIA serial card is no good but this is rare.

When this works get INPA to run and then install DIS from the 4share folder. Use the Randomy and READ THIS FIRST instructions for VMware and DIS and then set Fister interface and vm off. Then DIS and coding/programming works.
    Last edited by ferpe; 04-08-2010 at 05:11 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Ferpe +1 on the do-it-auto interface, but you are better off buying the unit directly than through Ebay.

My Cars
    M3 E46 Cabrio
    Hi David,

it is good that we have found an interface that is cheap and that does all the battery detection in INPA and voltage detection in DIS etc.

With modifications to EDIBAS.ini one can get other interfaces to work but this complicates something that is rather complicated as it is.

My Cars
    2001 232ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuppidsay View Post
    I used to have a Genisys EVO (stolen), it's ok for BMW, you get codes and data for the main modules ie engine, trans, abs, srs, instrument cluster. obscure stuff like radio, power seat controller, etc is hit or miss. And last time I check (about a year ago) the latest european software pakage was only up to 2005. Other options for an easy to use, hand held, multi car scanner would be Launch's X431 series, Snap-on solus or Modis (big money) or there's a newer one to the states called Autoboss. From what i've heard its comparable to the Launch. The Launch is what you will find that most independant european repair shops have. The Diagun (what i have for my shop) is a pretty good tool, bluetooth wireless is nice for running back and forth to the computer for diag info. And cheap compaired to snapon. I've used just about every one of the shop level scanners and launch is the best for europe, followed by snapon for vw, mercedes, and bmw (doesn't do any other european) and genisys is just as good as snapon for just those 3 europeans. On the other hand the Launch is only above average in Asian and sucks for american. The Snapon and Genisys are great in both US and Asian. Just my 2 cents
    I see that you have been able to test many different scanners, i currently own all the scanners you mention but the diagun and autoboss. Let me tell you that i have tested the autoboss and im not surprised in any way, it looks like an sligthly enhanced version of the lunch software. i was wondering i currently have a lunch x431 infinite, but wanted to trade it in for a diagun. Now i have heard read that the diagun is alot faster compared to the lunch infinite, but have not heard of anyone that uses it. My other question is does the diagun have the same functions as the x431? and also i am in the midle of the installation of gt1 software but i was wondering if you ever tried using the lunch or snap on modis and getting them to work with the gt1 software. I apreciate the help.

My Cars
    05BMW645CI 02ACURATL
    Thanks for all the info. I'm going to study up on exactly what I need to get GT1 up and running with my E63. Seems GT 1 v44 might not have all my data?

My Cars
    BMW E34 525TDS
    Hello

Is the do-it-auto interface 100% functional with EasyDIS and works fully with pre 1995 BMW's and post 1995 BMW's? Also, is there maybe another better device, or a cheaper one than 95€ that does the same?

Thank you in advance!

My Cars
    BMW Z4 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Then in newer cars (I belive 2007+) CAN bus is used and neither ADS or OBD cables work. (I wonder what about VAG CAN cable??)
    So for a 2007 Z4 COupe (E86) can I use NEW Ediabas/INPA 4 BMW 100% compatible OBDII Interface or do I need smth else?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast