Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Simple explanations, FAQ

My Cars
    Look at sig
    Installed the programs on my third computer, however it's my first Windows Vista 64bit machine.

Anyone can help me get rid of the NETMAN 0 problem when I try to load ifhsrv32

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-64bit-t103023 however file 2 failed.

EDIT:
    Got the NETMAN problem to go away, it works now... but getting the 200.166 connection error. I see Diaghead connecting with it and everything else is talking to each other... ugh!
    Last edited by Milla; 09-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.

[ 1995 Alpine White Coupe M3 Track Build | 1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 | 2000 Imola Red M5 DINAN S1 | 2001 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 2009 Blue Water 335d ]

|-| I run the largest active group of BMWs in the area, join me at Central Florida BMW Owners |-|

INSTAGRAM/Millakins | FACEBOOK/milla.bimmer

___ NURPLE ___ M3PO ___ M CINQUE ___

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    OK, even though I am a total newbie and am now only beginning to get all the alphabet soup of software unscrambled, and still kinda' clueless about the cable soup, I can answer a couple of questions.

@ jayster: Thanks to your post I am going to pull the trigger on the same deal. I had found it earlier and was debating it's merit, as there is no mention anywhere here of OBD2 to USB cables! (Are you listening gurus who are supposed to enlighten us novices?) Will post here after I get it.

@bass528: The package referred to is $36 + $7 shipping = $43. The one you posted is $43 with free shipping; get it? The $36 package also has an option for faster shipping for $11, which I will use.

@bmb527: You should be able to get it working using VMware or VirtualBox to set up a virtual WinXP install on your Mac. In Randomy's sticky on getting DIS, etc., working he first goes through the steps of getting a VMware XP working; I couldn't help notice it is extremely similar to the same steps in VirtualBox. VBox comes from the Sun/Oracle people and is free, works with Windows, linux, Mac & Solaris OS's, including 64 bit versions of the above. One of the main uses is to set up XP to run 32 bit win programs in the above OS's, even Win7. Google it. VMware is, as I noted, very similar and basically does the same thing; from what I know it is also the more popular one. I know VMware is available for linux & Windows and I assume for Mac, but I can't say for sure. Again, Google should tell you. If it is, I would go with that to be more in line with Randomy's tut on the subject.

On the subject of cables: The alphabet soup here is really thick. I know what usb cables are, several types of serial cables including RS232 & RS488, HDMI, VMI, and lots of other cables, some of whoich you never heard of, and have actually made many of them. So it's not because I can't understand the architecture and construction of all these mysterious cables, but I can't understand information I don't have access to.

You throw out things like ADC, Vag-KKL, VAG-Com, HEX-Com, D-CAN, etc. These don't mean anything to those of us asking the questions or we wouldn't be asking. What is a VAG cable; obviously there are more than one type so what are the differences? What are HEX-Com, D-CAN and all those other things you mention. Some of those appear to also be protocols or interfaces, with the cables probably being named after the protocol/interface. There are also different versions of the same cable, apparently, so what are we who know nothing supposed to do when it comes time to pick a cable.

Such basic information as what connectors are on each end, what models are they made for and what software would be very helpful. VAG-KKL doesn't tell me any of those things.

You all have done a good job of explaining the basics of what the various DIS, SSS, INPA, etc. are and what they are used for, and what EDIABAS is. I understood that and have a pretty good idea what I want there. I'm sure if you put your minds to it you could also explain some cable basics as well.

OOPS! I gave out some wrong info above. Reading another thread (the one on imporving mouse performance) I found out DIS was designed to run on the old SCO Unix OS. I then went back and studied Randomy's tut more carefully; he is not setting up a WinXP vm, but setting up under "other" and using gt1 for the OS. So apparently gt1 is BMW's proprietary, and probably simplified, version of SCO Unix? The boot screen he shows for DIS sure looks like an old Unix boot screen.

That being said, I see no reason it wouldn't set up on Mac OsX in VMware; there could be some minor differences in the screens, but it all should work, especially since OsX is Apple's proprietary Unix based GUI OS, as opposed to linux which is and opensource Unix based GUI OS. With what I now know I don't think Vbox will work as it will emulate Windows, linux, OsX but I don't think it will emulate Unix. Best stick with VMware.

And now I know why he uses Daemon Tools. In fact, the whole thing makes more sense to me now.
    Last edited by BobTheBull; 09-17-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2018 340
    Does anyone know offhand if GT1 can be used with a 2008 E60? Specifically, SMG adaptation and teach-in of clutch?

I just got my DIS up and successfully worked with the SMG model on my '06, but trying to guide a friend for his '08. He was told only ICOM would work with it.

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Quote Originally Posted by siado View Post
    Does anyone know offhand if GT1 can be used with a 2008 E60? Specifically, SMG adaptation and teach-in of clutch?

I just got my DIS up and successfully worked with the SMG model on my '06, but trying to guide a friend for his '08. He was told only ICOM would work with it.

DIS works till 2009,
    you need a K+DCAN interface for a 2008+ model.

My Cars
    2000 740IL E38 04/99
    Which cable do I need for E38 without modification?

Beauty and the Beast

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The E38 will probably require an ADS interface in order to access all modules.

My Cars
    BMW X3
    What is the difference in an good diagnostic program verses a superb scan code reader, for instance a Genesis 4.0 system?

My Cars
    2004 745Li
    I'm seeing this on ebay, a few times, from different sellers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GT1-OBD-...-/320959201359

Is this legit? Is this pirated software?

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    All this software is "pirated", there are no legal BMW supplied diagnostic software. This is actually very expensive, you can buy an OBDII cable for less than $20 and download this software from forums.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E38 750iL
    Hey huys i have a major problem and i was send down here to ask you for your help. I have a e38 750 and i need to get into the EWS module to delete a code that the car is asking (literally!). The car asks for a 4 digit activation code and i was told that by getting into the EWS i could solve it but this requires a specific cable, a ads obd kbus cable or something? I did some searching around and i found something that i think is the right one, could you guys please help me by telling me if this is the right/good cable? Thanks in advance .

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=17
    Nothing important to report

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    That is one of the ADS interfaces that will suit your car.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E38 750iL
    Another user told me i needed a serial port one to make this work best. Could you guys confirm this? My laptop doesnt have this so.
    Nothing important to report

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You will need a true Serial Port.

My Cars
    86 325
    Does a PCMCIA to serial card work?

My Cars
    98 328i
    Thanks for the great info! I've read thru and my apologies in advance if I asking something I missed.

First, I have a few old laptops & desktop. The older desktop and laptops have true serial ports. For a dedicated system - I was wondering why use Windows + VMware vs native linux? I thought that the older dealer systems were linux machines and VMware was attempt to emulate on a windows machine. Is it that the newer higher level apps like Progman are windows?

Second - I have both a 98 E36 (with both 20pin in engine bay & OBDii port under dash) and a E92. From what I've read, the k-Dcan should be backwards compatible to the OBDii port on the E36. I had read somewhere that there was information available on the 20-pin which was not available on the OBDii. Perhaps that was referring to the standard OBDii required supported queries vs BMW proprietary - and not the actual interface. Is there differences in the interface other than the physical connector? That is - is it worth getting a ABS/OBD cable/connector for the E36 in addition to the k-Dcan for the E92?

Thanks!
    eD

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    1. Use Windows + VMware if you are not using an intelligent interface (i.e. one such as a genuine yellow DK head, which is programmed with its own version of EDIABAS). The reason is that INPA is a Windows-based program, whereas DIS is UNIX based, so you need to establish a virtual network in order for DIS to utilise EDIABAS from your INPA installation. If you have a genuine EDIC (yellow DK head), just install DIS natively on a UNIX machine - no need for VMware.

2. You will need an ADS interface to access complete diagnostic information from your E36, which is only available via the round 20 pin diagnostic port. K+DCAN interfaces do not have the ability to communicate via the L data line, which is required for the E36 (as we have Euro spec cars here in Australia, I have never even seen an E36 equipped with an OBD port).

My Cars
    M10

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Must be a US thing.

My Cars
    98 328i
    Yes, sometime around 1996 the US required all cars to support a OBDii interface -it's documented in a spec, SAEJ1979 - which supports defined queries for parameters associated with emissions. Most states - we have to have cars emission tested once a year. In Arizona, they used to insert a probe up the tail pipe to measure emissions. For newer cars they just plug into the OBDii port and have the car tell them whether it's meeting emissions requirements. I read that BMW added the OBDii port to US cars and kept the 20 pin connector until several years later. I was never sure if the OBDii connector they added was a subset of the available diagnostic commands available on the 20pin connector or the same. I assumed they supported same command set as unless they had different lines for communication. update: -> I found the pinouts for 20pin and OBDii on a 1998 E36 - so that answers the question I had on that.

I know enough about unix and windows to be dangerous but don't have a depth of knowledge - so I probably am not using the correct terminology for questions which follow.

As to the yellow DK head - as I understand it, it presents a TCP/IP address?
    So I can understand that DIS is directing communication to a specific TCP/IP address. I read that INPA could be considered a scripting tool which exercised EDIABAS to collect live data from ECUs. When not using the yellow DK head, I assume the EDAIBAS layer is running in the PC. Is that a windows driver or Unix?
    Is INPA presenting the TCP/IP address to DIS or is the EDAIBAS layer?
    Thanks for the help!
    Ed
    Last edited by sabino56; 12-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    98 e36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by plain325 View Post
    Does a PCMCIA to serial card work?
    Can anyone confirm or deny ADS cable working with a serial port via PCMCIA card?

Update: info about PCMCIA is here,
    Last edited by thewhat77; 02-20-2014 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    May i ask what diagnostic system does BMW factory use? I suppose it is much superior than what we have e.g. inpa?

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    They use ISTA/D.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    Thx
    From the glossary http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561237

ISTA/D = Dealer software currently in use (not available in the wild)

So that means it is actually not a dealer software?
    And it is a/v in the wild? (links a/v in a recent post here)

Anyway, its functionality is much superior?

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    The Glossary confirmed it was in fact Dealer software.

And not available in the wild means not available on the internet for us to download and use, although that part isn't entirely true...
    Last edited by shawnsheridan; 03-25-2014 at 10:53 PM.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    thanks for ur reply
    so ISTA/D is only dealer level?
    then what software does bmw factory use?
    as i suppose it is much superior than what we can found in the wild

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast