Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 mile results: M3 with bolt-ons **videos**

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetzle View Post
    I still don't get how you managed to chirp 2nd and 3rd, and for that matter I don't understand how m3chaser spins in 2nd. I've never experienced such traction issues with my car, and I should be making more power at the wheels than both of you. I'm running 245/30 Yoko S-Drives in the rear and I barely chirp 2nd.

Quick question though, why do you guys launch so high (5-6k)? Granted I've yet to go to the strip, but whenever I'm messing around with friends I launch at about 3,500 and it seems to work pretty well (pulled a length on an '03 RS6 from 0-100, they run ~13.5). The car doesn't really seem to bog and all I get is a tiny bit of wheel-hop, maybe it's cuz the cams shifted my torque curve to the right?

Either way your traction issues befuddle me
    the reason for launching so high is to have the car in the meat of the powerband right from the start. silverstreak made a great post about this many years ago on here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=47538

i think the reason for me chirping 2nd and 3rd might be from what ltw97m3 and m3luckyoo were talking about in that i wasn't getting the most from my DRs. i'll try to do some experimenting and report back my findings. i never had any chirping problems with the 255/40/17 rcomp tires i used previously and these DRs should be much better for traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    When you're trying to get a US spec e36 M3 in the 12's w/ just N/A mods, every little bit counts
    yep, true. if i remember right, the back seats weigh in at around 40lbs.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    On street tires 3500-4000 rpm launches are fine- we launch high to get the power (meat of the powerband) down to the ground and with sticky tires your engine tends to bog if you dont put down enough power before your tires grip.

DRs and slicks operate as an "instant" grip type of affect. Street tires have more of a "gradual" grip. I liken it to this: DRs/ Slicks= Simple lamp on/off switch. Street tires= lamp dimmer switch where you have to slide it up and down for eventual on/off grip. lol.

For the record my 13.7 pass on street tires I launched at 3500 or so. I always drop the clutch at the launch rpm and floor it then I adjust tirespin/ eventual grip by letting off the accelerator a bit- then as soon as the tire grips I floor it again.
    Last edited by m3luckyoo; 02-01-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Yellow 1995 BMW M3 1 out of 8,515. Build Date: 10/94
    Engine- S52 OBD1 Swap, TRM Chip, 21.5 lb. inj., 3.5 HFM/ECIS, AA catback exhaust
    Transmission- Aluminum flywheel, 3.23 Diff
    Suspension: H&Rs and Bilsteins, Powerflex/ AKG Bushings, X-Brace, UUC Swaybarbarians
    Rims: 18x8.5 BBS RCs FORGED
    Brakes: Brembo Rotors, Hawk Pads, Steel Brakelines
    Dynojet RWHP: 250.9 TQ: 237.72 CA SMOG LEGAL POWER! =)
    Best 1/4 mile: TBD
    Weight: 2650 lbs w/ 1/4 tank of gas

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    I still don't get how you managed to chirp 2nd and 3rd, and for that matter I don't understand how m3chaser spins in 2nd. I've never experienced such traction issues with my car, and I should be making more power at the wheels than both of you. I'm running 245/30 Yoko S-Drives in the rear and I barely chirp 2nd.

Quick question though, why do you guys launch so high (5-6k)? Granted I've yet to go to the strip, but whenever I'm messing around with friends I launch at about 3,500 and it seems to work pretty well (pulled a length on an '03 RS6 from 0-100, they run ~13.5). The car doesn't really seem to bog and all I get is a tiny bit of wheel-hop, maybe it's cuz the cams shifted my torque curve to the right?

Either way your traction issues befuddle me
    Your car might be making more power than them but if you have no weight reduction like jworms(2860lbs) and M3chaser(2930lbs) then your car should be over 300lbs more than them resulting in more traction for you.

That and maybe you dont shift as fast?

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    97 M3/4 2001 SVT Lightin
    Jworms,
    Not that this would matter much on a 1/4 mile, but what type of suspension are you using?
    BFC O.T. Weekday drunks club Member#17

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    suspension matters a TON in regards to being able to launch and get good traction
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by racer m View Post
    Jworms,
    Not that this would matter much on a 1/4 mile, but what type of suspension are you using?
    hah...yeah...i'm running stock suspension with 111,000 miles on it...

the best part about it is when i go to a track with turns () and you see the massive amounts of body roll emanating from my car

Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    suspension matters a TON in regards to being able to launch and get good traction
    definitely true. in fact, this is something i recently learned more about. i always thought you would want soft suspension to allow the back to squat more and create more traction...guess that's not true. mrblonde (a frequent drag racing section visitor on here and all-around very knowledgeable guy when it comes to drag racing) mentioned that stiff suspension is actually the way to go on these cars with their IRS.

here's a few threads where it has been mentioned:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post14466054

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2#post15083792

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=18071589
    (got psi seems to agree in this thread...and if you've seen his drag car build, you know he's probably got the experience to know about this stuff )

the only thing my setup has going for it is the poly bushings i have in the rear - which, after installation, was a night/day difference for traction on my car. other than that, my suspension is probably as soft as it gets.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Nice runs bro!

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Quote Originally Posted by jworms View Post
    hah...yeah...i'm running stock suspension with 111,000 miles on it...

definitely true. in fact, this is something i recently learned more about. i always thought you would want soft suspension to allow the back to squat more and create more traction...guess that's not true. mrblonde (a frequent drag racing section visitor on here and all-around very knowledgeable guy when it comes to drag racing) mentioned that stiff suspension is actually the way to go on these cars with their IRS.
    Very true. Atleast for suspension that has high mileage on it. When I went from tired and old OEM suspension on my 540I/6 to the Bav Auto Sport kit which consists of Billy sports + Bav Auto springs, I was able to shave a consistent tenth of my 60 and 2-2.5 tenths in the 1/8th. That carries over to the back end at the very least. Atleast this has been my experience. Stiffer is better for the E39 for launches BUT you must have a decent tire or atleast a WIDE crappy tire if you want to experience the full benefit.

MODS: DIY intake, Res delete, Magnaflow #14816, Magnaflow cats, SSK, OEM M5 LUK clutch & PP, JBR LTWFW, Stage III driver

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    still don't really understand the point of trying to prove the car can get into the 12's but good luck man.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    still don't really understand the point of trying to prove the car can get into the 12's but good luck man.
    because thats very quick

and its his passion

its fun to set goals and achieve them

My Cars
    98 M3
    awesome driving man, noob question...in the second video why do you burn out in 2nd gear not 1st?

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum55 View Post
    awesome driving man, noob question...in the second video why do you burn out in 2nd gear not 1st?
    Put more heat into the DRs quicker. Faster rotations of the tire = more friction = more heat sooner.

MODS: DIY intake, Res delete, Magnaflow #14816, Magnaflow cats, SSK, OEM M5 LUK clutch & PP, JBR LTWFW, Stage III driver

My Cars
    2012 BE GTR, C63 AMG
    Considering that only a few people can get into the 12's NA with these cars, and even fewer yet with similar setup to Jon's. I would say its a notable achievement, especially on a west coast track.

Hammad

**Individual Results will Vary**

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed7 View Post
    Very true. Atleast for suspension that has high mileage on it. When I went from tired and old OEM suspension on my 540I/6 to the Bav Auto Sport kit which consists of Billy sports + Bav Auto springs, I was able to shave a consistent tenth of my 60 and 2-2.5 tenths in the 1/8th. That carries over to the back end at the very least. Atleast this has been my experience. Stiffer is better for the E39 for launches BUT you must have a decent tire or atleast a WIDE crappy tire if you want to experience the full benefit.
    wow, that's a huge difference! i can only assume that suspension is in the future for my car (probably not anytime soon, that shiz is expensive!), but at least i know when it does happen it will improve everything about the car. good information!

hah! i figured you of all people would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed7 View Post
    Put more heat into the DRs quicker. Faster rotations of the tire = more friction = more heat sooner.
    yep!

it's funny, one of the mercedes guys and i were talking after one of my runs and i was telling him about my traction woes to which he responded, "you should cut down on your burnout time and heat the tires up to around 100mph real quick, then do your run." ...to which i responded, "yeah...it's not as easy to do a 100mph burnout in a car with little torque and a manual transmission "

SOLD

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by jworms View Post
    the reason for launching so high is to have the car in the meat of the powerband right from the start. silverstreak made a great post about this many years ago on here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=47538

i think the reason for me chirping 2nd and 3rd might be from what ltw97m3 and m3luckyoo were talking about in that i wasn't getting the most from my DRs. i'll try to do some experimenting and report back my findings. i never had any chirping problems with the 255/40/17 rcomp tires i used previously and these DRs should be much better for traction.
    Makes more sense to me, I've yet to launch that high in my car, but I guess I'll need to practice for when I make my way over to the strip

Quote Originally Posted by BMWFanatic View Post
    Your car might be making more power than them but if you have no weight reduction like jworms(2860lbs) and M3chaser(2930lbs) then your car should be over 300lbs more than them resulting in more traction for you.

That and maybe you dont shift as fast?
    Yeah I've only removed the spare and trunk lining, I wanna run my car at a DD'able weight (rear seats and everything, probably get a LTW battery at least) so that way I'll know what I can match up against in a real world situation.

And yeah he shifts fast but it doesn't seem any faster than me when I'm really going at it, plus my clutch has barely 1000 miles on it and grabs like a mofo

M5 vs. Maserati!!
    2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, BMS CDV, ER CP, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
    Previous:
    2000 M5, LeMans Blue, H&R coilovers, custom exhaust, & assorted aesthetic mods.
    1995 M3, Schrick cams, Euro HFM, 24 lbs injectors, AA exhaust, Conforti chip, UUC LTW flywheel, UUC performance organic clutch. Assorted aesthetic mods.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    +1,
    mainly the rear shocks. If they are gone, the drive wheels won't be planted= loss of traction.

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    And yeah he shifts fast but it doesn't seem any faster than me when I'm really going at it, plus my clutch has barely 1000 miles on it and grabs like a mofo
    Ya know I always hear guys say they can shift fast, but when it comes down to it they only think they can shift fast. I have not yet come up against anyone who can shift faster than me, but have come up against a couple guys who can shift as fast.

Get yourself out to the track and see what the car traps. The ET is all about launch and of course shifting helps some as well, but the trap speed will show you how much power you are making.

Oh and for the record, my car is 2950lbs without me in the car and about 3115lbs with me in the car. The car certainly isn't that much of a lightweight and I don't have very much taken out of the car at all. the factory sub is still in the car as is the sun shade for the hatch.
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3chaser View Post
    Ya know I always hear guys say they can shift fast, but when it comes down to it they only think they can shift fast. I have not yet come up against anyone who can shift faster than me, but have come up against a couple guys who can shift as fast.

Get yourself out to the track and see what the car traps. The ET is all about launch and of course shifting helps some as well, but the trap speed will show you how much power you are making.

Oh and for the record, my car is 2950lbs without me in the car and about 3115lbs with me in the car. The car certainly isn't that much of a lightweight and I don't have very much taken out of the car at all. the factory sub is still in the car as is the sun shade for the hatch.
    Your forgetting that your gears have a lot to do with you fast 13.2 1/4 mile time. You might not be as lightweight as others but gears get you off that launch like a bat out of hell. lol.
    Engine- S52 OBD1 Swap, TRM Chip, 21.5 lb. inj., 3.5 HFM/ECIS, AA catback exhaust
    Suspension: H&Rs and Bilsteins, Powerflex/ AKG Bushings, X-Brace, UUC Swaybarbarians

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    Have you dyno'd the car? Just curious at what horsepower level your at. Im thinkin closer to the 250 side of things.
    85' Turbo M50 E30 | 95' M3 Nitrous, Coilovers, DJ Autos, UUC SSK

My Cars
    E90 335i

Only reason I say that is because I've gotten comments from a bunch of people who track their cars a lot, I never thought I shifted fast until people told me so but yeah I'll have to wait til summer for track results, I'm excited

M5 vs. Maserati!!
    2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, BMS CDV, ER CP, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
    Previous:
    2000 M5, LeMans Blue, H&R coilovers, custom exhaust, & assorted aesthetic mods.
    1995 M3, Schrick cams, Euro HFM, 24 lbs injectors, AA exhaust, Conforti chip, UUC LTW flywheel, UUC performance organic clutch. Assorted aesthetic mods.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Pro Street W-30
    my dr's like real heavy john force style burnouts =]

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nj85'325 View Post
    Have you dyno'd the car? Just curious at what horsepower level your at. Im thinkin closer to the 250 side of things.
    242rwhp and 232rwtq

graphs here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=801802

SOLD

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by m3luckyoo View Post
    Your forgetting that your gears have a lot to do with you fast 13.2 1/4 mile time. You might not be as lightweight as others but gears get you off that launch like a bat out of hell. lol.
    They certainly have something to do with it, but with just a M50 and Catback I ran a 13.48@100mph. The gears took off 2 tenths and gave me a little more than 2mph.
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    They certainly have something to do with it, but with just a M50 and Catback I ran a 13.48@100mph. The gears took off 2 tenths and gave me a little more than 2mph.
    man, i wish i had your gearing! the sizing on my DR only make it worse with effectively turning my 3.46 diff into a 3.36. i think with a 3.73 i'd be pretty close to redline when i cross the finish ...i can only guess what kind of results would come of that situation
    Last edited by jworms; 02-04-2010 at 01:48 PM.

SOLD

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Ya no kidding. I have heard that 3.63-3.73 gears are the sweetspot for these cars. Definitely on the future mod list after I get a fresh engine =P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast