Thread: How to turn on Lights in Grill

My Cars
    1995 840 Ci, 1959 Sprite

How to turn on Lights in Grill

Hi Guys. I am new to forum. Have a nice 840Ci (CC89510). Wish to know how to wire relays to turn on lights (running?) in grill next to parking lights like Euro vs to work with/on low beam headlights. Saw 850 on ebay with feature enabled but got muddy info as HowTo? Is it practical to do? Thanks for the help.
    Love my car. Spent a fortune over the last 2 years getting back up to primo. Just bought wheels/tires as original 8 wheels from Jensen in LA to stop front vibs. Now smoothe ride again.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Welcome to the forum.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    1995 840 Ci, 1959 Sprite
    Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading and have learned a lot from the musings and explanations on How to's. Lots more to do and learn. Need a left side turn/park lens. Is woofer a legit place for used parts. BMW unit available as new for $259 but maybe a used can be found for less. Any ideas?

My Cars
    '91 850i, '04 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by vet73 View Post
    Need a left side turn/park lens. Is woofer a legit place for used parts. BMW unit available as new for $259 but maybe a used can be found for less. Any ideas?
    I think you mean Wuffer??? - as legit as it gets. Pretty much legendary in e31 circles...

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Hi Guys. I am new to forum. Have a nice 840Ci (CC89510). Wish to know how to wire relays to turn on lights (running?) in grill next to parking lights like Euro vs to work with/on low beam headlights. Saw 850 on ebay with feature enabled but got muddy info as HowTo? Is it practical to do? Thanks for the help.
    Love my car. Spent a fortune over the last 2 years getting back up to primo. Just bought wheels/tires as original 8 wheels from Jensen in LA to stop front vibs. Now smoothe ride again.
    The FTP (flash To Pass) light you are referring to can be made to work with the headlight high beams by changing your LKM from a US version to a EURO version.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '91 850i, '04 X5 4.8is
    Wish to know how to wire relays to turn on lights (running?) in grill next to parking lights like Euro vs to work with/on low beam headlights. Saw 850 on ebay with feature enabled but got muddy info as HowTo? Is it practical to do? Thanks for the help.
    Check out this thread - I think this is what you are after...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=euro+lkm

By the way, welcome to the forum!!!

My Cars
    -90 850 -12 ///M550xd
    I have mine set up as DRL's (daytime running lights) and they come on when I start the engine light switch in 0 pos.
    Since mine is a euro car they also come on with the high beams.
    they do not work as flash to pass when the switch is in 0 pos. if I use the park pos they turn off and work as flash to pass.

Dont have the scematics, but this is not so hard to do with a few relays.
    -Egil (my name)

2012 ///M550xd touring
    1990 850Ia Hartge Supercharged.
    2004 M3 (sold)

MBeezy is offline Grand-Mastering THE GAME BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    91 850i/98 Merc C230
    Would someone please post a pic? I think I understand what you're all talking about but would like to confirm I'm on the right path.

Advanced thanks.

Later, MBeezy
    It's not about the dog in the fight ...it's about the fight in the dog !

Representing The 8 in The Bay (Yay) Area

1991 BMW 850i - purchased Silver (Bullet) Nov-09 116,400 mi. Mods Stage I: Black/white emblems, w/black roof/black roof spoiler, matte silver Beyern Multis, Nitto NT05 tires: Front - 19/8.5, Offset: 13mm, Backspacing: 5.31," Bolt Pattern: 5-120, Rec. Tire Size: 245/35-19; Rear - 19/9.5, Offset: 25mm, Backspacing: 6.29," Bolt Pattern: 5-120, Rec. Tire Size: 275/30-19, no front plate, Dinan performance transmission chip, removed tint to come correct with OEM tint, removed analog phone antenna, BassLink II, add'l mods in motion. Please stand by ...

1999 Merc Kompressor DD

My Cars
    1995 840 Ci, 1959 Sprite

FTP Lights-What a turn on!!

Thanks for the leads but nothing yet specific enough for a newbie to get the job done. Can one simply use a patch wire from high (or low) beam relay coil-activate (switch input) post to FTP light relay - coil activate (switch input) post? If so, which relay is for FTP lights? Low beam? High Beam? Will that give lights out or other warning message from computer or blow the LKM entirely?

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    Don't try and reinvent the wheel on this deal vet. What Steffen above was referring to is that you need most importantly one of two things:
    An actual euro or canadian-spec LKM (light control module), or to have yours reflashed to those specs. This will allow what you seek, and will also enable you to have rear fog lights as well with some additional modification to your rear inner tail lights, and a different OEM two-position switch on the dash.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    I do have a Euro LKM for sale if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
    I have mine set up as DRL's (daytime running lights) and they come on when I start the engine light switch in 0 pos.
    Since mine is a euro car they also come on with the high beams.
    they do not work as flash to pass when the switch is in 0 pos. if I use the park pos they turn off and work as flash to pass.

Dont have the scematics, but this is not so hard to do with a few relays.
    You can also configure the parking lights as DLR lights since they already feature a dual filament bulb (5/21W). I've done it on my 850 and it is more than bright enough. There are several instructions available on the web.
    Last edited by wokke; 02-01-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    more and more Cars..
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    There are several instructions available on the web.
    Yes Wolf, Martin from 8er.org has a solution that looks very nice - including the 4 stage switch - OEM from scandinavian 8-series.
    Guess the ECE LKM is required too.
    LED-TFL don´t fit the 8 - just my private opinion

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1257053 II

Last edited by 8Harry8; 02-01-2010 at 03:24 PM.
    to register your 8 @ www.8coupe.com!

Best regards from good old Germany Harry!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Vet73 - come to the SE 8 Gathering in March, and find out all kinds of neat stuff for your 8. Steffen will be there along with others that can give you great advice. See the posted note at the top of the 8 series forum for details. And, welcome to the 8 madness!