Thread: M5 instrument cluster programming to retrofit in 530i

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

M5 instrument cluster programming to retrofit in 530i

Long story short- i tried to fix my own cluster butchered it, that eliminated vdorepair and bmw good will. Then it was pay 1200 for a new uncoded one or 200 on ebay. With the limited position i have in life guess what i did. So i was able to code the M5 cluster to the 530i options using INPA so no lights come on when driving but one prompts remains. "tirecontrol is inactive" . Question how do i tell the M5 cluster that my 530i doesn't even have this option so it doesn't prompt in the first place?

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    You'll probably have to find the connection via a wiring diagram or something and from there get a resistor between the two leads. As to where any of that stuff is located, good luck.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    ^^^^ thanks for the input, its weird because BEFORE one of my indy's played with it with a newer version of gt1 i was not getting this prompt, he must have made a mistake that needs to be reversed, dropped it off with him today...

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...9new/index.htm does this wiring look good?
    Last edited by energizedmortal; 01-27-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    update- local indy removed tirecontrol inactive prompt, and removed tamper dot, he didn't tell me what software or how he did it. Im guessing he used pasoft to match the vins on the used cluster and car. now on to DIS or GT1 for mileage correction

My Cars
    z3
    You wont be able to get the oil temperature to read properly very easily, and iirc getting even the water temp to read correctly (M5 uses real temp sensor, others use "dummy" sensor) is a lot of work.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540 M-Sport
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but OP - did you get everything worked out? If so, how?

THank you.
    1995 540 M-Sport Cosmos Schwarz on Parchment w/ (Open) 3.15 LSD - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1805972

Current Status : I SOLD HATE MEH... LOVE my car.

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by shaytanabyad View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but OP - did you get everything worked out? If so, how?

THank you.
    Some info here...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...uster-retrofit

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    So I know this thread is old, but there were some questions that didn't get addressed that I might be able to answer. I've just done this on my 530i and I can say that all functions work except for the warm-up lights. The oil temp gauge works fine on the 530i as well as the temp gauge when coded for the M54. All the gauge information is sent over CAN-BUS, so it just works properly once coded. Also, I'm pretty sure clusters after 2002 have a newer cluster that fixes the bad connections that cause pixels to go out, but now they have a newer mileage chip that requires removal from the cluster to zero out, though I think you can just buy some of the older type m35080-3 chips and swap one into it and code it. I'm about to test this theory once my M35080-3 chips come in from China in the next few days. I have an extra 2007 model cluster that I will be trying it out on. The chip it came with is a M35080VP and my programmer wasn't able to clear it, even when it was pulled from the cluster. Obviously, to get to the M35080 chip, you'll need to remove the needles and pull the face off the board, and that is no easy thing to do. The proper tools can be bought from mte.net, but they are very expensive. I modified a pair of pliers with a grinder and it worked to hold the pins in the stepper motors while twisting the needles off. Before you start though, you should run INPA and under the IKE "Activate" menu, you can set a specific degree angle and you can then record the values that angle represents, so when you put the needles back on, you can make sure they're in the same location. This can be very difficult to do if you didn't record the values before removing the needles.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about this in the future.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers