Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: DIS Success

My Cars
    E32 735i, Nov 1987
    Hello... I'm trying to get my ADS interface working with DIS and I think I'm really close.

Have followed all the guides correctly, double checked my work.. but now when DIS tries to initiate a connection, IFHsrv32 pops up a dialog box that says "Openconnection: Createfile_error"

INPA documentation says that this is because Com1 is in use by another device but it isn't. I'm using a Dell D600 laptop, XP, Rv8flyboy's ADS interface on com1, internal modem is off, etc..

Any ideas?
    Do not despise the racketeer, instead despise his sport.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Todd,

Read this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=197 forget about the signal strength bars, DIS will work without them. I think this is what you are looking for:-

READ THIS FIRST.pdf

Cheat,

I take it that when you set up INPA you chose interface =ADS and ran the ADS setup from c:/EDIABAS/Hardware/ADS. If so, try disabling the com port, then reactivating it.

My Cars
    E32 735i, Nov 1987
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Cheat,

I take it that when you set up INPA you chose interface =ADS and ran the ADS setup from c:/EDIABAS/Hardware/ADS. If so, try disabling the com port, then reactivating it.
    I saw in the INI file that it said "interface =ads" and I had changed it to "interface = ads" as Ian had suggested but I haven't tested it yet.

I assume that since DIS (and parts of INPA) are generating that createfile_error when they open the interface that DIS is set up correctly and communicating to IFAsrvr but maybe it thinks it is going to a named pipe instead of a serial port?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Todd,

Read this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=197 forget about the signal strength bars, DIS will work without them. I think this is what you are looking for:-

READ THIS FIRST.pdf

Cheat,

David,

Thanks for the help. I had already found your "read me first" and used it to get DIS running to the point that it would find my diaghead and at least READ the codes (thanks so much for publishing that document). Now....I can read codes and it read my car's build date etc. automatically but I can't erase the code or program any of the memory etc. It says it can't read the VIN or something like that. I'll try what you said above but I am not even sure how to do that!
    Last edited by toddkageals; 06-24-2010 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    E32 735i, Nov 1987
    I tried again today, everything is set up according to the documentation but as soon as IFHsrv tries to talk to the serial port I get the createfile_error.

Should i try to put Win2000 on this laptop instead of XP pro? It seems as though there is something funny with how the OS sees the serial port - I changed it from COM1 to COM4 and XP didn't change the address to 2E8 like it should have, even after removing and rediscovering.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    David,

Thanks again for the suggestion. I ditched the head emulator and made the changes that you suggested above. I was able to run a full diagnostic and erase the codes (that was the issue I had before, could not erase codes). So....that part works but when I try to access any of the coding stuff it either gives me an hour glass that never goes away or says something about the communication with the diagnostic head being disrupted. Where to go from here???? Could this have anything to do with that BDFlushr error that I was not able to figure out how to correct?

Update....well....I tried it again and it appeared that I was able to access the key memory. It was car memory where it kept locking up before so.....I'm not sure what that means. On another note....is there a guide to using DIS somewhere? I thought it was capable of displaying live data etc. but I don't see that anywhere.

Update2....well....all appears to be working now but I don't know why. I still have two questions though. I was never able to fix the BDFLUSHR =600 problems (does it matter)? Also, I get a message that says no voltage on pin 30....does that matter?

Thanks,

Todd
    Last edited by toddkageals; 06-24-2010 at 07:15 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Some OS require vi EDIABAS.ini, others accept vi ediabas.ini.
    you absolute star!!

now i just need to regrow the hair i've been tearing out!

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Dis

Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    you absolute star!!

now i just need to regrow the hair i've been tearing out!
    I learned that the hard way. At the start of my first installation, i would type EDIABAS.INI and a file does not exist message is all i got, until i type it in lowercase and the rest is history!! DavidMc is the man!

Regards,
    Mark

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    One last question for you guys...

You know the IFH service?
    you start that up to begin with, run DIS,
    but i don't see any changes in it until i run API test, then it becomes IFH-Service -192.168.68.30
    Is that suppose to autoconnect or something? does it need to be running as ..service- 192.. etc ?
    Or do i have to run APItest before use on each DIS restart?

EDIT- it activates by itself, just been testing it.

I read about an SSS problem where Ediabas 6.4.3 was needed rather than the 6.4.7 i had installed.
    I've just reinstalled it, and it now has all the latest stuff, apart from running on 6.4.3 edi.. Everything is looking OK.
    If anyone need to roll back, just find a 6.4.3 install pack, install it as a complete install, but leave all the other boxes unchecked, so you keep you NFS, KFP and INPA on the newer versions.
    Last edited by enda320; 07-01-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    1998 520i sedan
    Hello,

I just managed to get DIS up and running and i must say thank you David and others for the excellent instructions and follow ups in this forum. My setup is a rather complex one since because of the 64-bittish win7 it involves running two VMs - one XP for the ediabas server and the other for the SCO.

My car has only the 20 pin ADS plug, and i have the ADS/OBD interface from do-it-auto but unfortunately had to use it in OBD mode because there were communication failure issues when set to ADS, which i attribute to 1. using usb-rs232 converter and 2. using it from a VM. By the way it seems that ADS is rather picky since it requires the cable to be always at com1, maybe also operates it at a lower level. I will try with pcmci rs232 but i think it may eventually require a real com port. Anyways, since things seem to be running with OBD mode, is there some functionality that i am missing with not running ADS? For example i have not yet tried programming/coding functions because i do not have power backup for the battery, but should i expect any problems? Also, is it possible to update the actual firmwares of the different ECU-es with GT1/DIS?. Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by firestate View Post
    Hello,

I just managed to get DIS up and running and i must say thank you David and others for the excellent instructions and follow ups in this forum. My setup is a rather complex one since because of the 64-bittish win7 it involves running two VMs - one XP for the ediabas server and the other for the SCO.

My car has only the 20 pin ADS plug, and i have the ADS/OBD interface from do-it-auto but unfortunately had to use it in OBD mode because there were communication failure issues when set to ADS, which i attribute to 1. using usb-rs232 converter and 2. using it from a VM. By the way it seems that ADS is rather picky since it requires the cable to be always at com1, maybe also operates it at a lower level. I will try with pcmci rs232 but i think it may eventually require a real com port. Anyways, since things seem to be running with OBD mode, is there some functionality that i am missing with not running ADS? For example i have not yet tried programming/coding functions because i do not have power backup for the battery, but should i expect any problems? Also, is it possible to update the actual firmwares of the different ECU-es with GT1/DIS?. Thank you in advance.
    Did you try changing the interface in EDIABAS.bin to ADS from OBD?
    It will say:
    "Interface =STD:OBD"
    It needs to be changed to ADS
    '84 325e 32k miles | '98 328i 68k miles | '01 Z3 74K miles | '99 F150 64k miles
    PSN ID: Trevor-TC2
    We retrofit headlights, code BMWs, rekey locks and thoroughly detail cars. Interested or curious? PM us.

My Cars
    1998 520i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by TC2 View Post
    Did you try changing the interface in EDIABAS.bin to ADS from OBD?
    It will say:
    "Interface =STD:OBD"
    It needs to be changed to ADS
    Yes of course I had read everything on the subject even before attempting to set this up.

Also i have the directnt.sys driver installed, since when it is missing or the com port cannot be opened inpa refuses to start up at all.
    Last edited by firestate; 07-05-2010 at 06:37 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    ADS utilises the L as well as K lines, so yes, you will experience diminished diagnostic performance by using the interface in OBD mode. Make sure you have set "LoadWin = 1" (default is LoadWin = 0) in EDIABAS.ini.

My Cars
    1998 520i sedan
    ADS utilises the L as well as K lines, so yes, you will experience diminished diagnostic performance by using the interface in OBD mode. Make sure you have set "LoadWin = 1" (default is LoadWin = 0) in EDIABAS.ini.
    Thank you for your input. I think i had set this parameter but will double-check tonight. By "diminished" performance do you mean transfer speed or something else?

What about the update of firmwares, is it possible with DIS or some special tool is needed?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You will only have access to a limited number of modules (since you will have no communication with any module that uses the L line). In ADS mode the do-it-auto tool also detects ignition signal and battery voltage which is required for automatic identification of your vehicle by DIS.
    As you know, many USB and even PCMCIA cards can result in inconsistent communication between your car's modules and computer and the best choice is to use a true serial port. If you must use an adaptor, a Belkin USB to serial or Oxford chipset based PCMCIA card are the best choices. Before trying to run a diagnostic using DIS, you should ensure that you are able to communicate with your car using INPA. To do this, you do not need to have the IFHSrv32 port server program activated and you should start INPA using INPA.(_IPO) after connecting the interface to your car. Unlike most other computer software, the latest firmware update is not always the best choice for your car and updates are usually accomplished using SSS Progman software. You may need to disable firewalls, adware and antivirus software even to communicate with your car via INPA in light of the fact that it is being run under vmware.

My Cars
    1998 520i sedan
    You will only have access to a limited number of modules (since you will have no communication with any module that uses the L line). In ADS mode the do-it-auto tool also detects ignition signal and battery voltage which is required for automatic identification of your vehicle by DIS.
    As you know, many USB and even PCMCIA cards can result in inconsistent communication between your car's modules and computer and the best choice is to use a true serial port. If you must use an adaptor, a Belkin USB to serial or Oxford chipset based PCMCIA card are the best choices. Before trying to run a diagnostic using DIS, you should ensure that you are able to communicate with your car using INPA. To do this, you do not need to have the IFHSrv32 port server program activated and you should start INPA using INPA.(_IPO) after connecting the interface to your car. Unlike most other computer software, the latest firmware update is not always the best choice for your car and updates are usually accomplished using SSS Progman software. You may need to disable firewalls, adware and antivirus software even to communicate with your car via INPA in light of the fact that it is being run under vmware.
    Well as i said DIS was up and running already - i meant doing auto identification, and also listing modules, collecting error codes, etc.. Before that i also verified that INPA is working, doing component activation - for example window actuators, radio settings and other stuff. I do not see any module which i have that is missing from the list that DIS detects. I really don't know what more advanced functionality to expect actually.

As for the rs232 converters, i was intending to buy some chronos pcmci converter which by the way has an oxford chip i think...

Actually can anybody with E39 who has used both OBD and ADS tell is there a difference in functionality?

Just found an excellent document: http://www.e38.org/bussystem.pdf

The following excerpt (page 13) may explain the results i am getting with OBD and not getting with ADS:

On vehicles produced up to model year 2001 and use the 20 pin under-hood diagnostic connector, the locations of the two links are:

* RXD-Pin 15
    * TXD-Pin 20

Later control modules (from 1997) no longer required the separate RXD to esablish communication, (DS2 protocol) so Pin 15 was removed from the
    Diagnostic socket of most vehicles.
    Maybe i don't have pin 15 at all Will check it tonight.

UPDATE:

If this diagram:

http://pinouts.ru/connector/20_pin_c...onnector.shtml is correct, my 20 pin socket does not have pin 15. Since this is supposed to be the L-line, that's one very good explanation why i don't have success when using ADS..
    Last edited by firestate; 07-05-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by firestate View Post

The following excerpt (page 13) may explain the results i am getting with OBD and not getting with ADS:

Maybe i don't have pin 15 at all Will check it tonight.

UPDATE:

If this diagram:

http://pinouts.ru/connector/20_pin_c...onnector.shtml is correct, my 20 pin socket does not have pin 15. Since this is supposed to be the L-line, that's one very good explanation why i don't have success when using ADS..
    Check http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/ for you diagnostic connector pinouts.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Is possible use a usb obd2 cable?
    What i need change in ediabas.ini?

When i run the obdsetup.exe, i got the messages:
    Windows 2000 Version 6.0 Build 6002

Installing OBD driver...

SubKey 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial' allready exist !

Reading values of the key ...

Value Type = 1 Expected = 1 Ok
    Value Start = 3 Expected = 1 Warning
    Value Group = Extended base Expected = Extended base Ok
    Value ErrorControl = 0 Expected = 0 Ok
    Read value 'Tag' failed !
    Read value 'ForceFifoEnable' failed !
    Read value 'RxFIFO' failed !
    Read value 'TxFIFO' failed !
    Read value 'PermitShare' failed !
    Read value 'LogFifo' failed !
    Warning! Some values have no standard data - May be there are problems !

Press any key to continue ...

This is normal?!
    I'm running windows vista 64bit, this is a problem?!

Sorry for so many questions
    Thanks

My Cars
    BMW 323i E46
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    =========================

ok i succeed to change in scoadmin

BDFLUSHR = 660 error and reset it value back to BDFLUSHR =30.

still the same - configuration error

ok

just changed

Bus#2 Device #17 Function #0, settings are ok , kernel rebuild

also going to remove 2 additional VmNet

about

";LoadWin32 = 0" line to "; LoadWin32 =1".

as far as i know ; means commented so this is just a comments but anywhere I changed it

-------------------------

reboot

the same - configuration error

---------------------

I think this is my issue - here is an error from kernel :

//etc/conf/bin/idmknod: Cannot find device net2 in xxxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxx/mdevice

BTW maybe my issue in a whole set up which i did for GT44 ? i installed all 5-6 packages including NCS Expert
    How did you get past this Error from the kernel? I'm stuck at the same problem. I have INPA/EDIABAS working and have corrected BDFLUSHR error, but I always get this error after I have removed and installed the AMD PC network when I try to relink the kernel.

I have read everything in and out, but I still cannot connect with DIS.

My Cars
    740il
    Chalk up another working DIS/GT1/INPA setup using a generic EDIABAS cable w/ a ADS adapter.

A word of wisdom for those trying to do this-- it's a frustrating and complex setup and you won't have a running setup in a few minutes. Take your time, read ALL of the threads associated with what program you're trying to install, and maybe have an adult beverage along the way -- you're going to need it! I'm an experienced IT guy, and even I found this to be taxing.

Oh-- start small-- get your INPA up and running and TESTED before you even dream of getting DIS running. If INPA won't work with your interface, then nothing else is going to.

Next stop -- Getting Progman/SSS up and running.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Streets, have you followed this:-

Push the Administration button in DIS and from the DIS menu choose The Calibrating touch screen button (second from the bottom). Enter the 5 digit dealer number password you chose during installation (the recommended password was 12345) and wait for the utilities menu to pop up. When it does, choose Option 7 (SCOADMIN NETWORK).

A window will pop up showing 2 green driver icons – at the top of the screen will be the SCO TCP/IP Loopback driver – DO NOT TOUCH THIS DRIVER.

Below this you will see a second driver – AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible –PC1 Bus#0, Device #17, Function #0. The configuration settings assigned to this device may not work with your particular machine so left click on the AMD PCNET – PC1 Adapter Compatible line to highlight it, then from the Hardware Menu at the top of the screen, choose “Remove network device”.

The next step is to re-add an AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible that your machine will recognise by again going to the Hardware menu and choosing Add new LAN adapter. A window will pop up showing AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible devices found on your computer – this is an important step as in my case, the original adapter was set to work off Bus #0, Device #17, Function #0 whereas my computer requires the adapter to work off Bus #2. Choose the first AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible on the list then yes to add the new adapter and a pop up will ask what protocol you want to add to the adapter – choose SCO TCP/IP from the options displayed and a settings panel will pop up. The first line “Local Host Name” should already be populated with gt1ap. The next line is where we need to enter the IP Address, which is 192.168.68.30 . When you tab to the next line, the Netmask address (255.255.255.0) should back populate, as should the Broadcast Address 192.168.68.255, TCP connections and Pseudo ttys lines. Hit OK to accept these adapter settings and return to the SCOADMIN NETWORK page where you will see your newly created adapter listed in place of the one you deleted.

Before going further, hold down CTRL + ALT and hit ENTER to pop up the toolbar of your Virtual Machine and press the CTRL + ALT keys together to pop up the Windows mouse pointer.

From the Virtual Machine Edit menu, choose Virtual Network Settings, then on the Next Screen, Select the Host Virtual Network Mapping Tab. Now Click on the > symbol located on the Right hand side of the VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 line and choose Subnet... to view its IP Address and Subnet Mask. Ensure that the IP Address is listed as 192.168.68.0 by altering it if necessary and that the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0. When this has been completed, click OK and then click the Apply button at the bottom of the screen before choosing OK to exit the editor and save your settings.

My Cars
    Very usefull thread,

Hats of to ya m8,

thats alot of work,

not to mention the support your giving,

Thats got to deserve a couple BEERS

Thanx

My Cars
    BMW 730D ,2004
    Thanks to You guys I can now run diagnostic on my E65 using DIS

But I can't go into car or key memory ,
    do I have to modify the cable to do this ?
    I am using a blue USB OBD2 Vag Com KKL cable.

Regards
    Hans

My Cars
    740I Sport
    What is the password In thread #7 if I wanna download anything from NCS folder?
    "help" doesn't work
    It works only in the root folder, but I need INPA :-)
    I have carsoft 6.5with the 20 pin adapter, and would like try it with INPA or any other diag software that would work
    THANKS!!!

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Quote Originally Posted by magicme55 View Post
    What is the password In thread #7 if I wanna download anything from NCS folder?
    "help" doesn't work
    It works only in the root folder, but I need INPA :-)
    I have carsoft 6.5with the 20 pin adapter, and would like try it with INPA or any other diag software that would work
    THANKS!!!
    No need for second password,

If you want something from the NCS folder then you have to click on that arrow at the right side under the download button.

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast