Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: DIS Success

My Cars
    M3 E46 Cabrio
    Hi David,

first of all a big thanks for the intructions and all the help you and others provide here, I would never have gotten easyDIS to work otherwise.

I have done all the things you have suggested except the .NET update, will do that as well. Re translator, I just got it working with Softing first, will now check with Fister as well. In the first try the coding did not work, guess I will have to check a bit more what setting will ultimately work best for DIS and coding/programming.

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    Hi Ferpe
    Coding/Programming will only work with Fister protocol.
    Please have a look at this two threads to see how I explained it:
    Programming
    Expert mode

Cheers
    C

My Cars
    M3 E46 Cabrio
    Thanks Katvis,

great explanations, the DIS stuff I found out by using the Help function on each DIS screen but the Coding/Programming was WIP. Now thanks to the tips from you this will be much easier!

My Cars
    318 CI SE
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Are you using a diaghead emulator or attempting to connect directly to the head?

I am trying to connect directly ?

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Hi everyone,

I've followed the directions and documentations from the EasyGT folder and I can't get DIS to connect to the diagnosis head. When I select diagnosis, then manually identify my car, it give me "Fault Code: 200.133".

I have DIS installed in a vm, and I can telnet on port 6801 to 192.168.68.1 from the unix command line in the vm, so I know the diaghead emulator is running and DIS should be able to connect to it (EDIABAS server 6.4.2 by softing). I have IFHserv32 running as well. I can run the apitest and it gives me the german menu.

I followed the directions for editing the VM, the ediabas.ini files and scoadmin setup pretty much to a t. Can anybody think of why my DIS won't connect to diaghead?

Thanks,

Jeeemz

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    qaisdev, this error message sounds very much like you are attempting to connect an early E36, using an unmodified VAGCOM cable. If you are connecting to a vehicle with a round 20 pin diagnostic port under the hood, you should be using an ADS interface.

Jeeemz, if you are running a diaghead emulator, I take it that you have set the head up in the Administration area of DIS ( i.e. under Diagnostic Head name = gt1ap, IP = 192.168.68.30, Subnet = 255.255.255.0, Broadcast Address = 192.168.68.255, then under the network conections, locate the diaghead, click on it and choose connect so that DIS shows the diaghead connected to the network).

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Thanks for the reply David Mc. When I try to set up a head in the Adminstration area of DIS is doesn't allow me to press OK when I fill out the fields... and there are no heads listed in the 'free diagnostics heads' box. I have the feeling I just overlooked something along the way, but I can't figure it out!

Also, wouldn't the ip of the diagnostic head be 192.168.68.1, or do I misunderstand how it works? I have the .30 configured in the system area of administration. And where is 'network connections'? I can't find that in DIS administration.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Jeeemz, I take it that you have started your IMHSvr32 and disabled any firewalls you have running before attempting to set up a diaghead emulator. Much as I cannot understand why anyone would want to use one, if you have configured vm to run (and confirmed that it is running by viewing your current configuration settings), restart EDIABAS from DIS. Go to the diagnostic head tab under the Config. List on the Administration screen and complete it as per above - the IP address 192.168.68.30 is correct, then push the little green "back" arrow on the bottom left of the screen. Switch back to windows and start the diaghead emulator running and return to DIS Administration screen. Under Admin., click on connection setup and you should see a diaghead in the left panel of the screen, if it is not already highlighted, left click on it to highlight it, then press the connect button. You will probably get a warning message about the IP address already being in use - click "Ignore" DIS will do a little war dance and the diaghead should then show on the lower right of the screen as being connected.
    Last edited by David Mc; 04-04-2010 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    I have started the ifhsrv32 and disabled all my firewalls. I restarted EDIABAS from the 'calibrating touch screen' menu under DIS. I entered the details above in 'diagnostic head' under config. (except for 'broadcast address'... mine has 'default gateway' which I left blank). It doesn't let me press OK or save here... then I pressed the green 'back' arrow, started the emulator and ifhsrv32, went to 'connection setup' under admin., and there are no diagnostic heads listed.

Maybe I don't have the emulator running? I open my emulator by running INPA, which also starts the EDIABAS server (which I think is the emulator). I start ifhsrv32 at the same time.

Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    A diaghead emulator is a seperate program altogether. which needs to be started after DIS has fully booted. If you go into configure processes and just set vm to not run, update your configuration and restart EDIABAS from within DIS, you can run DIS without an emulator (which in my view is a lot easier). Don't worry about not being able to see a diaghead or not having any status bars lit on the main DIS screen, if you are able to pass the APItest, just attempt a diagnostic,

If DIS then tells you that you have no diaghead connected, you are probably using the wrong interface, for early model cars with the 20 pin port under the hood, you need to use an ADS interface, Carsoft Interface or a modded VAGCOM unit (as the early cars require an ignition signal from the interface. For models with a 16 pin port under the dash, you can use a VAGCOM or OBD interface (which is why I use an ADS/OBD switchable interface).

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Yes, it does sound easier. I've set vm to not run, and I still pass the apitest, so I'll try to run a diagnostic this afternoon. The cable I have is the VAGCOM KKL type like this one. From what I've read in this thread it will work except for the ignition ON and battery voltage features. Sound right?

How does DIS know which COM port to use? I remember playing with COM port configs in the Windows EDIABAS.ini file, but I don't see anything like that in the DIS /usr/ediabas/ediabas.ini file. I don't see it in the DIS administration settings either.

My Cars
    M3 E46 Cabrio
    @Jeeemz,

there is a big risk you will not get any contact to the car, the problem is your interface.

A USB based KKL interface is not the sure way to get DIS or INPA/NCS to run, the USB serial driver can cause signal distortion that EDIABS does not accept. Every expert recommends a SERIAL KL interface (preferably modified for BMW use) connected through a PCMCIA serial adapter, not a USB serial adapter.

Have you tried if you can get INPA/EDIABAS to run with your interface? If it doesn't DIS will not run.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Ah, I was afraid of that. I may have made a hasty decision with my cable choice. No, I haven't been able to run INPA/EDIABAS... the INPA screen looks same whether I have the cable plugged into the OBD-II port or not. I'm going to update to the latest FT232BL drivers and see if that helps.

Updating to the latest FT232BL drivers didn't help. I thought the unmodified vagcom kkl cable would work? I'm sure I read it here. I changed my latency timer from 16 to 2, and my ediabas.ini file shows "Interface =STD:OBD" The OBD.ini is configured as follows:

[OBD]
    Port=Com1
    Hardware=USB
    RETRY=OFF

Are there settings that I'm forgetting/missing? This is so frustrating! But I'm determined to get this working, with this cable if possible. Thanks David Mc and ferpe.

Got it working. Thanks. I was using the "as-is" version of INPA.

It's awesome! Thanks all!
    Last edited by Jeeemz; 04-06-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1986 E23 L7
    So, my laptop to run this on will show up next week... my question is this though, will this diagnose an E32? I'm sure it will since i have all cables, but when I ran the inpa/ediabas and it didn't list the e32, had the m60 engine of course...

anyhoo... thanks a million for the directions and links!

My Cars
    E46 318i M43
    I got it working with chinese interface
    Only has one problem
    you can read about it here
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=161
    I am using VMware player which is much more easier will write about it if soon

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    DIS is telling you that you are using the wrong interface to communicate with your car and that the one you are using cannot access the EGS module.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Bdflushr

I have tried the last procedure on page 8A of DavidMc's page and cannot get into the BDFLUSHR and make the change to 30. I have also confronted a situation when i select edit in the virtual network setting and go into the virtual network mapping tab. When i click on the symbol and choose subnet, i view the IP address and subnet mask, but when i hit ok, i get "The same subnet IP address is assigned to another VWnet" I completely deleted the previous virtual machine and started over. Now, i am stuck on this point. I am 100% sure that i do not have another virtual machine installed in the machine as i completely removed it from the hard disk and then went into the virtual machine folder to make sure it was gone. Where should i go from here?

I just checked in the virtual network editor and the VMnet 1 is set to IP of 192.168.68.0 and if i understand correctly it should be set to 192.168.68.1. Is this true? If so, this may be my problem. How do i modify it?

Quote Originally Posted by Katvis View Post
    your computer should be able to run VMWare no problem..

"SysRq" is the same key than the "Prt Sc" (Print Screen).

If you hit "Ctrl plus SysRq" and you enter the Unix environment it shows that the virtual machine is not frozen but that something is not happening inside Unix.
    Last edited by se93; 04-18-2010 at 02:06 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The correct network address is 192.168.68.0 - INPA/EDIABAS uses 192.168.68.1 to communicate with DIS and the diaghead uses 192.268.68.30. Check the IP addresses in use by the other VM Networks on your system (VMnet0 & VMnet8)
    Last edited by David Mc; 04-18-2010 at 04:20 PM.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

DIS/GT1 installation

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    The correct network address is 192.168.68.0 - INPA/EDIABAS uses 192.168.68.1 to communicate with DIS and the diaghead uses 192.268.68.30. Check the IP addresses in use by the other VM Networks on your system (VMnet0 & VMnet8)
    Vment0 is bridged
    vmnet1 192.168.68.0
    vment8 192.168.77.0

this is in the virtual network editor of my virtual machine.

Where exactly is this menu found (listed below) as i have entered the scoadmin network and cannot find these options.

1 run scoadmin (for navigation use the arrows and the tab buttons)

2 In Hardware/Kernel Manager, navigate to [Tune Parameters... ] then press Enter

Select option 1

Buffer management
    Enter
    select the parameters until you see BDFLUSHR
    set BDFLUSHR to 30

Also, should my VMnet1 (host-only) in the virtual network settings have the IP address 192.168.68.0 or should it be 192.168.68.1? I am still trying to figure out why when i click on the right arrow the subnet (with the correct IP address) will say that the same subnet IP address is assigned to another VMnet and being that the subnet has to use the 192.168.68.0, IP and my VMnet1 is using that same address. I am very new to this and have nver dealt with these types of things before, so forgive my lack of knowledge here. Am i icorrect to say this is my problem and thus where do i adjust the IP to correct it? I have been cautiously looking around the program, but have not found anything. I thank GOD for the snapshot feature as i did not know of this either and had to restart from scratch a number of times. Thanks DavidMc for letting me know of this.

Thanks to all
    Last edited by se93; 04-18-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Don't worry about the message, the IP addresses are correct, just close the dialogue boxes.

If you choose the Administration button, then "Calibrating touch screen", enter the password (12345?) and choose the option 7 to access the SCOAdmin Network. When the screen that shows your network adapters appears, left click into a blank area of the white screen and press CTRL+SysRq . A black screen will appear. If it gives the prompt "login" type "root", then the password - if you have not entered the root directory before, it will prompt you for a password - choose "password".

A few lines of text will be generated by the root file, the last being TERM = (scoansi) _ hit ENTER when you see this line and # should appear at the beginning of the next line. (Be careful when working with UNIX, as commands are case sensitive) . When the # prompt appears, type "scoadmin" then enter.

When it comes time to exit the root directory, use the exit commands from the scoadmin screens to get back to the # prompt, then type "init 6" to exit and reboot the virtual machine, saving and using the changes you have made or "init 0" to exit and reboot the virtual machine without saving or using the changes you have made.

My Cars
    E38 728i sixstraight

dis/gt1 sucsess

hi all,

finaly after two day work i got it running.
    i instaled gt1 twice and deleted ene time(whoops) it runs.
    now i have connect the car to the laptop with the carsoft interface.
    all is set with the instructions from david and randomy.
    settings in ediabas and dis, api test was okay.
    but to solve the problem of ignition and batt handling i am looking into ediabas.ini and see that maybe i say maybe i can fool the system to think the batt handling and ignition is on.
    but am i right who cantell me this

i am running all with TIS installed in DIS on VM 6.0 on a dualcore pentium laptop, usb-serial adapter, vista home and carsoft interface

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Those Ubatt and Uignition settings in Ediabas.ini do not configure if those functions work or not. Those changes are only to show you errors or not, if they are not reading.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    E38 728i sixstraight

gt1/inpa

well i thought to solve the error of special functions in inpa.
    because when i select this i can't do this test because the ignition is off error
    thinking of changing these settings solves this problem and maybe the problem in DIS
    just a thougt but thanks for the warning

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Thats what I mean. Changing these settings will let you do test without getting the warnings....
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    E46 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ferpe View Post
    @Jeeemz,

there is a big risk you will not get any contact to the car, the problem is your interface.

A USB based KKL interface is not the sure way to get DIS or INPA/NCS to run, the USB serial driver can cause signal distortion that EDIABS does not accept. Every expert recommends a SERIAL KL interface (preferably modified for BMW use) connected through a PCMCIA serial adapter, not a USB serial adapter.

Have you tried if you can get INPA/EDIABAS to run with your interface? If it doesn't DIS will not run.

Anyone have an opinion on these cables? Or has anyone tried them? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Ediabas-INPA-4-BMW-100-compatible-OBDII-Interface-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b13495edQQitemZ17047 6738029QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

- Connects to RS232 com port
    - Double K-Line support by two Motorola MC33199 K-Line drivers
    and logic gates
    - Battery voltage detection by RS232 control line
    - Ignition voltage detection by RS232 control line
    - Switchable K-Line pullups by RS232 control line
    If it works as described it should be perfect for a DIS & INPA/Ediabas setup, correct?
    Last edited by GCoop; 04-23-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast