Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: DIS Success

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i

Thanks for all your help

Been reading this forum and others like it for about 6 months to get clued up on GT1/DIS and perform diagnostics at reasonable cost. Thanks to people like Ken Fister, Randomy, Shoulders and David Mc it is now possible for the average enthusiast to get this done.
    I used the easy-DIS V44 package from the 4share site which includes daemon tools for mounting disc images and other useful files. Also used VMware 6.5 obtained separately.
    My computer was a compaq desktop with a clean install of XP SP2, I added WINRAR and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    For the cable I bought the chinese INPA/EDIABAS OBD to serial cable from ebay.
    This came with INPA/EDIABAS software and I used this at first to clear airbag faults etc until I got DIS to work.
    All the information you need can be found in the forums. The only problems I had were forgetting to run IHServr32.exe before starting DIS in VMware and when I still couldn't connect with the car I realised I had to change the EDIABAS.INI file at the line for the INTERFACE from ADS to STD:OBD to match the ebay OBD cable. And finally I had to go to the calibrate touchscreen menu in DIS (easyDIS) and change the translator to softing and set VM to not run (OFF).
    So there you have it, its not really easy but it can be done. Don't forget that the really hard stuff has already been done for us anyway!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Hi guys,

I have read the forum related to diagnostic and I have few questions.

I am interested to be able to diagnose and code my E39 540i 2001.

My first question is what cables do I need ? I am planning to use Easy DIS 44v via Ediabas

I saw there is beeing used ADS/OBD interface ... Can anyone tell what I need if I want to be able to connect via underdash and underhood as well ?

Then I have an question related to Inpa/Ediabas ....

Do I need to instal both if I would like to run Easy DIS on VM or is enough ediabas?

Then is there needed any special modification if I have core 2 duo processor ?

Thanks guys in advance !

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Where can I get vmware version 7?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Jimmy, just get an INPA/EDIABAS compliant OBD interface, and yes, you will need to install INPA/EDIABAS. If you want to connect under the hood as well, you can just get a 16 pin to 20 pin adaptor cable (which is normally supplied with these interfaces anyway). I run a core duo processor on my diagnostic laptop without any mods, but in my view the best operating system to use is XP as Vista is more resource-hungry and Windows 7 can have difficulty in fully utilising the software (which was not designed with a 64 bit environment in mind).

My Cars
    2004 x5 3.0, 1998 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    Where can I get vmware version 7?
    The internet. Check it out.

Check out all the threads stickied on here. you should find a link to 6.5 which is better only from the sense that all the guides are based on it. w/v7 you have to figure a few things out on your own, so if you are a colors by number type, you might want to track down 6.5. remember, this software is not free, so DL at your own risk.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
    The internet. Check it out.

Check out all the threads stickied on here. you should find a link to 6.5 which is better only from the sense that all the guides are based on it. w/v7 you have to figure a few things out on your own, so if you are a colors by number type, you might want to track down 6.5. remember, this software is not free, so DL at your own risk.
    not free? oh ok. silly me was thinking this was freeware somewhere or maybe hosted by someone (generously )

I read that i need both the workstation & the player. the version numbers of both apps don't seem to match, so does it matter what version of the player is used?

My Cars
    2004 x5 3.0, 1998 328ic
    not free? oh ok. silly me was thinking this was freeware somewhere or maybe hosted by someone (generously )

I read that i need both the workstation & the player. the version numbers of both apps don't seem to match, so does it matter what version of the player is used?

I think the workstation comes with the player, but not the other way around. I found a copy of vm7 on torrent thats working pretty good so far. Just need the cable - which literally seems to be on a slow boat from china.

My Cars
    2003 745li

You need work station.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by fxstsb View Post
    You need work station.
    Thanks. I know I need the workstation AND the player fxstb. I was just curious if the version numbers of the two apps mattered. For example if I have workstation vers 6.0.4 and the player version is 2.5.4 would there be incompatiblity problems? Or would any other version pairings be incompatible? Does that make sense?

Anyway, I guess it's a moot point if the player comes with the workstation.

My Cars
    E38 740iA -99 & 740D -00
    Thanks. I know I need the workstation AND the player fxstb. I was just curious if the version numbers of the two apps mattered. For example if I have workstation vers 6.0.4 and the player version is 2.5.4 would there be incompatiblity problems? Or would any other version pairings be incompatible? Does that make sense?

Anyway, I guess it's a moot point if the player comes with the workstation.
    Umm, I didn't get it. Where do you even need Player?
    I have used only Vmware Workstation 6.5 and that's all I need.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You don't need Player but some of the later versions of vmware are only supplied with the Player, which you cannot use to set up a workstation. I created my virtual machines with Workstation, but run them using Player as it does not seem to overwrite the settings, so it is harder to accidentally destroy my machine in the event of a mishap.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 320i limo
    Hi, i am new to this forum and first of all i would like to say many thanks to DavidMC and all who adapted this amazing software.

I followed the instructions and it works like a charm on my 97 E36 with ADS OBD switcher by doitauto.

I have one question, i have configured my INPA for ADS, and also change the translater to FISTER and vm to off.

But what if i want to diagnose an newer OBD car? Do i need to change the translator and vm back to ON? And also change in ediabas.ini?

Thank you,

Luka

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Luka, you don't need to alter the translator or protocol settings (i.e. FISTER translator and vm set to not run is fine) but you will need to alter your ediabas.ini Interface = *** statement to Interface = STD:OBD and run the OBD setup file in c:\EDIABAS\Hardware when you decide to use the interface in OBD mode. (Of course you will need to make these changes before you start the IFHSrv32 Netserver or DIS.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    David thanks for your reply...

Meanwhile I setup DIS an I am able to pass api test to see german menu...

I have now question regarding interface...

I am going to borrow OBD 16pin USB cable and I would like to know if this can be used or not... Car has only 16PIN connector so no need of ADS there.

I was checking ediabas.ini file under BIN folder for setting of interface and I can see only OBD with serial or remote configuration I cannot see there any setting for USB...

Do you know if USB is simply not possible to use ? or ?

Thanks !

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    That particular interface uses a chip to translate the signal. You just need to have the Interface = STD:OBD in your ediabas.ini file and run the OBD setup from the c:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ folder (which I think you have already done). You don't need to make any other changes or adjustments.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    So today I was playing few hours with it as I had a cable.

I had OBD II USB cable with FTDI chip.
    I started with following configuration:
    Ediabas 6.4.3 installed service running
    Firewall unblocked ( Win FW didn't check )
    DIS runnig v44
    Diaghead emulator running

So I download drivers for cable VCP and so related to FTDI it was successfully installed as com port 9. I have started ediabas service the DIS and set the diaghead - I was able to pass API test and I had lights that everything is connected and running. When Tried diagnostic of my E39 I didn't get signal about battery and ignition so I was unable to identify my car automatically ( Softing & VM on configuration in DIS ). When I selected any of the module I was getting error 800.49

I tried to set my cabling for COM1 and do the same but this time I was getting 200.13 BUS error.

Later I unninstall diaghead emulator I set to Fister / VM not run and I was still able to pass API test but when I was connecting to my car still it was not recognized and I was getting errors like BUS error etc.

All the time I had proper configuration of DIS/EDIABAS ( IP addresses STD:OBD and so )

Then I went to reinstall EDIABAS to ver 6.4.7 and I install it with STD:OBD USB HW I have checked OBD.ini reconfigured ediabas.ini to proper config and I was able to pass API test again but in the end I was the same with the result as before.
    I tried as well with switching between com9&com1 with my setup and in obd.ini as well but no change.

On the end I went without DIS to have running only ediabas and INPA but even INPA was not recognizing battery and ignition and was not functional.

I am thinking that the error has to be in my borrowed USB cabling as by my opinion I had setup correct even passed API tests.

I tried all the possible versions of setup but all the same not even once running so logiccaly my opinion is cabling issue.

Anybody has any idea ?

Thanks in advance

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Some of those OBDII cables do not report the Ubatt and UIgn correctly. Might need modified. Search for a thread here about that.

Also...does seem to me that your USB converter isnt right.

I only recommend the Belkin F5U109/409
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    745li
    Trying to unzip GT_v44 files and it is asking for a password... What would that be?
    Thanks

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Try typing www.openbmw.org (as a password, not a website).

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Hi there,
    well yestrday I was trying with another laptop and result was the same even inpa didn't work well. I setup my cabling to com1 and set latency to 1 from 16msec....

So didn't help.

Well I will go probably for serial interface from ebay in some time as I believe I can manage it with it.

Good luck to all. By my opinion setting is not so hard but it is just limited to serial interface and with different cabling setup it is hard looks like.

Any opinion for this DI-it-auto cabling setup ? I heard they are great but still it is USB so I worry ....
    http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-Ediabas-Inpa-...item3361d60129
    Last edited by jimmyhendrix; 10-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhendrix View Post
    So today I was playing few hours with it as I had a cable.

I had OBD II USB cable with FTDI chip.
    I started with following configuration:
    Ediabas 6.4.3 installed service running
    Firewall unblocked ( Win FW didn't check )
    DIS runnig v44
    Diaghead emulator running

So I download drivers for cable VCP and so related to FTDI it was successfully installed as com port 9. I have started ediabas service the DIS and set the diaghead - I was able to pass API test and I had lights that everything is connected and running. When Tried diagnostic of my E39 I didn't get signal about battery and ignition so I was unable to identify my car automatically ( Softing & VM on configuration in DIS ). When I selected any of the module I was getting error 800.49

I tried to set my cabling for COM1 and do the same but this time I was getting 200.13 BUS error.

Later I unninstall diaghead emulator I set to Fister / VM not run and I was still able to pass API test but when I was connecting to my car still it was not recognized and I was getting errors like BUS error etc.

All the time I had proper configuration of DIS/EDIABAS ( IP addresses STD:OBD and so )

Then I went to reinstall EDIABAS to ver 6.4.7 and I install it with STD:OBD USB HW I have checked OBD.ini reconfigured ediabas.ini to proper config and I was able to pass API test again but in the end I was the same with the result as before.
    I tried as well with switching between com9&com1 with my setup and in obd.ini as well but no change.

On the end I went without DIS to have running only ediabas and INPA but even INPA was not recognizing battery and ignition and was not functional.

I am thinking that the error has to be in my borrowed USB cabling as by my opinion I had setup correct even passed API tests.

I tried all the possible versions of setup but all the same not even once running so logiccaly my opinion is cabling issue.

Anybody has any idea ?

Thanks in advance
    Jimmy,

If you are running DIS, the Ediabas server should be closed and the IFHSrv32 netserver should be running (Create a shortcut to start the IFHSrv32 on your desktop, you will find the file in your c:\EDIABAS\Bin folder).

I assume that you are using a VAGCOM KKL cable, which must be modified according to the FTDI chip type upon which it is based in order to work with your BMW.

If your car has a round 20 pin diagnostic port under the hood, and this port has a metal contact fitted to pin 15, you will need an ADS interface to establish full communication with your car, as the VAGCOM and INPA/EDIABAS compatible OBD interfaces both only communicate with your car on the K diagnostic line and earlier BMW's use both the K and L lines. If your car does not have a metallic contact on pin 15 of the round 20 pin port or is only equipped with a 16 pin diagnostic port under the dash, either the modified VAGCOM or INPA/EDIABAS compatible OBD interface should work fine.

You also need to ensure that any windows firewalls are disabled.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    David,

Thanks for your comments.

Well I do not have 20pin round connector under the hood only 16pin under dash...

I had my FW´s turned off

I was using only IF32.... service running - server was running only automatically with Inpa turning on

So I really believe that issue has to be with the cabling as I am not sure what kind of cable it is as it is borrowed but t is USB directly with FTDI chip inside so I was downloading drivers and there was automatically installed usb serial converter under device manager as well as serial port ...

I have tried to set it on COM1 even latency modification but still no connection to the car even with INPA.

As the setup otherwise was fine according to my verification of pinging -API test/ lights the issue has to be with cabling.

In ediabas 6.4.3 there is no setting for OBD I mean com ports and in ediabas 6.4.7 we have OBD.ini where we can setup if the hardware is OBD (via USB ) or normal and even com port settings. Anyway I tested al the variations of this and still the same. If I will exclude automatic detecting it was not even able to recognize modules/connect to them so after my spending hours with reading all the forums I found and articles I am suspecting my borrowed cabling is the issue and needs to be modified.

I am thinking if I should buy China OBD II serial cabling or DO-IT-AUTO USB cabling setup ? what is better to have the functionallity...

Well one remark to the end. I found some comments that we should see IFH32service on the taskbar with IP address of DIS ?
    When I was testing I didn´t have the IP visible no where....

I know that I am quite spamming this forum with my issues but as far as I spent already a lot of time with playing it around and as far as I don´t like unresolved things I would like to solve it

Thanks for your time and understanding here.

My Cars
    316ti e46
    hy to all.it can anybody post the ediabas.ini file?thanks(sorry for my english i`m from spain)

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I have the GT1 yellow diagnostics head (EDIC?) DIS and Progman. I've been diagnosing cars for a while, so no problem there.

I recently got EDIABAS/INPA/ELDI/NFS/NCS.

Now I'm mainly interested in NCS as this lets you tweak things that can't be done with Progman. Progman is pretty basic.

Now my problem is, how do I install NCS to make it work with the GT1 yellow head. Do I need to install it under DIS, under the virtual environment, or just on the same laptop I use DIS/Progman under?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Thanks much to David Mc, NZM3CL & all the others who have been a wealth of help to all of us!

I've got a silly question: do I need to download all of the .rar files for gt1 v44?

On one file host site I have seen 21 parts for the this application (http://www.4shared.com/dir/LfFoCBq2/...s_Machine.html). On another site it was in 9 parts (slightly larger file sizes of course). I presume I need to extract all of the file parts, but when I do the file name is the same for each one. If all parts need to be extracte4d then how are y'all doing this simply renaming each new extracted file? What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    KJ

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast