Thread: Brake rotor dust shield removal

My Cars
    bmw 850i

Brake rotor dust shield removal

This morning I went to replace my upper thrust arms with new ones, a friend of mine borrowed me a ball joint removal tool. The problem is that I can't use a tool from inside the wheel, but I need to remove brakes and dust shields. Brakes came off easily but for removing dust shield a wheel bearing hub needs to be removed, and than replaced with new one since old one is not reusable. That also is done with special tool wich I dont have. Is there a easier way to remove dust shields without removing wheel hub or taking whole suspension strut off, have I overseen something?

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    I would borrow a ball joint splitter that fits without removing the hub and dust shield. Just clout the arm with a hammer, you are replacing it anyway and an ordinary fork type remover will be fine as although you will damage the ball joint boot, you are replacing it anyway.

My Cars
    two 8er 6 speeds + 7ers
    Gerry, wouldn't you be kinda concerned about effect on the steering box?

I suppose that it probably takes large hits from potholes, but always muffled by what's left of the bushings...
    CB42613, CB42577, DH29770 and counting...

My Cars
    05 LS430
    Duje, tell me about your shifter. It looks like it came from a fairly new M6. Is it wired to light up with each shift position?
    Bankswood

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankswood View Post
    Duje, tell me about your shifter. It looks like it came from a fairly new M6. Is it wired to light up with each shift position?
    It came off a wrecked x6, it is illuminated and shows PRND, off course I don't have +/- option on my gearbox. I just didn't like my oem knob which looked too ordinary IMHO.

My Cars
    05 LS430
    I have an 840ci with steptronic and I have done the shift reversal mod so this shifter would work great on my car. Did you splice the wires into the shift indicator plug next to the shifter? Also was the shofter a direct swap? Did you have to purchase the whole unit like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by Bankswood; 01-23-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Bankswood

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    I have an 840ci with steptronic and I have done the shift reversal mod so this shifter would work great on my car. Did you splice the wires into the shift indicator plug next to the shifter? Also was the shofter a direct swap? Did you have to purchase the whole unit like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E60-E64-X5-528i-550i-650i-SHIFTER-KNOB-535i-650-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518e61b724QQitemZ35 0281119524QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories
    yes, I bought whole unit for 80$ because you can't disassamble unit originaly. When I managed to do that I soldered wires onto printed circuit board on LEDs and rerouted them through shaft into plug next to shifter (that shifter has flat cable like in cell phones that connects in shifter base).Also I've put some shrink tubing around my shaft because X6 shaft is thicker Downside is that you don't have a lock button that keeps you from shifting from D to R or P, but I've used it for over a year now and no problem, and also looks great at night!

My Cars
    05 LS430
    Duje, if you happen upon another one in that price range keep me in mind. I'll look around here. You said the shaft on the X6 shifter was fatter so why did you add more thickness to the shaft with heat shrink?
    Bankswood

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by duje View Post
    ..Also I've put some shrink tubing around my shaft because X6 shaft is thicker!...
    Great looking mod, but I think this is just a bit too much info...

'93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    05 LS430
    Ha,you talking about heat shrink on the shaft Steffen
    Bankswood

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Great looking mod, but I think this is just a bit too much info...

LOL, I'll pay more attention to my writing next time

Duje, if you happen upon another one in that price range keep me in mind. I'll look around here. You said the shaft on the X6 shifter was fatter so why did you add more thickness to the shaft with heat shrink?
    I added it on mine so I don't need to glue it in place, because I wanted an easy way to take it off. There is a salvage yard that I'm going to tomorrow with a friend of mine to pick up a gearbox for E60, owner is a good friend of his, and I saw wrecked new x5 overthere and if it has that shifter I'll probably get it for free and can ship it to you. Let you know tommorow.
    Last edited by duje; 01-24-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    Quote Originally Posted by cantbl8 View Post
    Gerry, wouldn't you be kinda concerned about effect on the steering box?

I suppose that it probably takes large hits from potholes, but always muffled by what's left of the bushings...
    Putting the thread back on the OP's subject.................

You would normally always use a balljoint splitter of the fork or clamp type and any shock administered by a club hammer would be insignificant to the shock transmitted by a 2 ton car driving even under normal conditions. Any bushings protecting the steering box are still functional anyway doing a track arm.

8Tech.

My Cars
    05 LS430
    8Tech and Duje, my apologies for hijacking the thread. I'm bad about that and will do better in the future. Still fighting the first ever case of undiagnosed ADD. Duje, let me know and I'll be glad to pay for your efforts. Crap, there I go again.
    Bankswood

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Duje, let me know and I'll be glad to pay for your efforts. Crap, there I go again.
    If I get it for free, you'll also get it for free and including free shipping, because the company I work for has a contract with UPS and shipping will be free for me also. Anyway I have replaced upper thrust arms using a fork style extractor.
    Thanks for help