Thread: Strange Door Lock/Window Problem - Door Module? Fuse? Great discovery...

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla

Strange Door Lock/Window Problem - Door Module? Fuse? Great discovery...

So for the last 2 years, my driver's door has been acting up. Occasionally, I'll unlock with the key and the door module won't send the signal to the central locking system. (The lock will physically unlock, but won't power unlock, and won't disable the alarm). To prevent the alarm from going off, I'll walk over to the passenger side and unlock from there. This usually only happens when it is cold. Someday I vowed to check out the driver's door module..

[Queue this winter, prior to the holidays]

I'm out with the car, over at a friends house, and suddenly my driver's side windows stop working. (Both front and back). Without the window droop, I'm having trouble getting in and out of the car because the driver's door won't close properly without a shove from the outside. The passenger window and droop seem to work just fine.

Of course, the first think I checked was fuses. I inspected them all (they all looked good), and I pulled out and tested the ones pertinent to the locking and window system. All is well. I was suspecting that my door module was acting up even more..

It's been really cold, my wife and I have been very busy, so I haven't been that interested in solving the problem.

[After the New Year]

Today I went out to the car, pulled apart my door panel, (which was surprisingly easy thanks to the PO trashing everything in the door and failing to secure anything) and yanked out my driver's door module.

I changed two capacitors: One a 47uF/25V and the other a 10uF/63V. How convenient I think, these are the same as used in the GM, which many of you know, I have a ton of.
    I put the module back in, reassemble the door panel, neglected the burnt out fiber optic-connected light on the door vent (did you know those were suppose to light up?) and close the door.

Nothing.

So then I try my key.. I close the door, look over at the alarm light, turn the key and the light comes on! Horray! My Door module is sending signals to central locking now. Still no window droop, power locks, or windows...

So I pull up the ETM for 5 minutes, and make a brief list of the modules/relays and fuses responsible. I go back to the beginning and start checking fuses...

A minute later I observed the source of problem...
    missing-relay.JPG

My power protect relay had fallen out. Dropped the relay back in, and all was well. :-)
    (except for the punch-list of 15 other things my car needs)

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    great job. wish i understood electronics like you. very helpful skill
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That's an unusual one!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Good job, Make a cover for your relays and fuses back there, I notice mine would move a bit after a few bumpy roads, You can make a cover or wrap the thing up in saran wrap, And then poke some holes in the wrap between the fuses so they breathe, I know! but it worked just fine till i made a cover. No more fuses or relays jumping around back there.

Seen a few E31's with a cover already back there but could'nt locate one, Not sure if original or not.
    Last edited by 8eights; 01-12-2014 at 12:52 PM.

My Cars
    1997 840ci
    Thanks for relaying this story to us.

How do you think it fell out?
    Last edited by DanB; 01-12-2014 at 01:07 PM.

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Thanks for relaying this story to us.

How do you think it fell out?
    I'm really not sure.. I think I was showing a friend, who recently purchased an E36, that "everything has a home" and probably showed him the novel placement of the jack. I probably bumped it when reinstalling the jack and didn't put two-and-two together.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    not enough
    Glad you were able to get that one sorted....on to the next item on the list
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8