Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    1989 BMW 750iL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?
    -googled "1989 BMW 750iL forums" and this site was the first on the search page.

2. Why did you decide to join?
    -i may need a lot of help if i decide to keep this bimmer

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?
    -i was a active user right away

My Cars
    2001 735iL Individual

Thumbs up

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? >>> "Google search for 735iL"

2. Why did you decide to join? >>> "Listen/watch, do, teach ;-) "

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? >>> "Lurked from join date to now"

4. If you "lurked", Why? >>> "I'm an Admin on several unrelated forums; it's good idea to do two things first as a newbie 1) get a sense of the mood/culture on the forum and hit that search button 'til it breaks!"
    I want know why you took the extra effort and joined. >>> "As an Admin myself, I know that knowledgeable members can take quite a load off the Moderators/Admins...I also need to ask some questions, so haff to join up, eh?"

My story: I'm an Aussie in Australia's Bush Capital delving for the first time into the world of, a somewhat expensive world it seems, owning a nice Bimmer.

Have just picked up an MY2000 (07/00) 735iL ‘Individual’ in as-new condition - no supermarket car door dings, no road rash at the front or along the under-sills and rear valance. No rust, no leaks ... did the car wash test ;-) no frayed/broken wires, no shudder/shimmy, all pixels good (see, search function works well!); no oil leaks anywhere and full logbook service history. I'm afraid to sit on the leather when I drive it because it's as-new (and bright white); one owner, who asked BMW to fit black carpet over the original white carpet(!!) - and this is part of the crazy "Individual" mods that the car has. For example, although it’s a July 2000 build it’s got the 16:9 monitor and nav system which wasn’t an option until August 2000.

There’s a nine page .pdf list of standard/optional ‘stuff’ for the E38 at parkers.co.uk. I started highlighting all the options the car has included but could’ve saved myself some time and crossed out the few things it didn’t have!

Now the UK, European and North American members will die but I paid AUD$23.5K for it (about the same in USD). However, it looks new and has factory 18” wheels and new Continentals on them – so about $5-6K worth of rolling delight.

So, I can’t find anything wrong with it but will book it in for a 100,000K service at AUD$2,500.00 (aah, the prices we pay in Oz //sighs//).

Secondly, I’ll be asking the Forum about minor engine/exhaust/suspension mods; as I found with my V6 Holden Commodore (think Opel), the relevant forums just didn’t have what I needed in one place, so I pieced it all together in one post which now has over 100,000 views. For less than AUD$2,500.00 I took the beloved ‘dore from 99 rwKW to 125 rwKW (133 rwhp to 168 rwhp – that’s +26% at the rear wheels), flattened and widened the torque curve, using extractors, good spark plugs (6 @ $40), high ratio roller rockers, a K&N hi-flow non-oil filter and minor fiddling with the ECU; and after-market ‘chip’ would’ve been +$450-$500 for more KW/hp but happy with +26%. Fuel consumption went down from 12l/100Km to 8l/100Km and over a 1,000Km on the highway from a 73l tank!

So similarly, I’ll be looking for up-gunning the 3.5l V8 in the 735 but acknowledging that it won’t be $2,500.00! Is “chipping” an option?

The ‘dore has slotted and ventilated rotors that bite nicely but progressively – unlike an Australian Ford Falcon that’ll will put you out the windshield if you’re not careful. The 735 brakes feel “mushy” but it stops well – I’m not used to so much pedal travel but I understand that there’s a LOT of ABS/Traction Control/other stuff going on as well. Might be looking for pad recommendations to get some ‘bite’ back into the brakes.

Have read about a Cobra exhaust system and I’m after more ‘burble’ as well as better scavenging and flow-thru for a few more ponies and miles :-)

Similarly, I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. My kinda place indeed :-)

rewlt1 is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    '00 7
    Lurking

couldnt help but notice such a massive amount of knowledge,,,god knows i need the help when it comes to a bmw

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?
    immediately active,helping others. I have a great general knowledge of working on cars mechanically and helping others out when it comes to fixing or "should I buy this"

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?
    the only thing i cant do to a car is the electronics,,been around cars all my life. mechanics, body/paint, upholstery, etc. so i have no problem jumping in when i can,,,i didnt want to join one of those big SCCA type of groups,,too political, and i dont have the money to travel all over the country showing my car or whip 10k out of my pocket for a supercharger,,,i just wanted a down home feel, mixed in every way, rich/poor, young/old, whatever,,,i feel if i can help someone out there and get my name reasonably known,,,then experts would be more willing to help me when I need it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL E38
    Thru google... Started from trying to look for more info on about this and that of my E38...

So that I can participate any discussion related to E38, or even post any of my own version of problems to be solved and discuss by others that have more experience and knowledgeable.

Well, I've just registered myself in here. Usually I lurk around first. Looking for related topic, or problems that I'm looking for.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?
    This site have been around for a very long time and I do believe most of the problems that I might experience had been posted by others. Helpful?! Ow yeah!!! Technically advanced?! Mmmmmm??? Sometimes...

My Cars
    2001 740I Sport
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google'd, and you came up during a search for info on 'what to look for when buying an E38', esp the specifics of finding a good Sport model... which I then used to buy my 01 740i Sport :O)

2. Why did you decide to join? I feel guilty about using a resource like this without at least participating and giving something in return, even if it is only occasional checking in, or responding with wit or knowledge
    3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? wow, yeah took quite a while to do the first posting..
    4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? Yes, and yes... im working on participating more.

My Cars
    1998 GS400
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? Looking to purchase a 7 series.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? One post, one thread in a week.

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined. I stick with the most active boards.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 728i individual
    First of all , Im a crazy bmw owner thats why i googled to find a BMW forum .

2- Just watching the forums for 5 mins I had joined straight away

3- I decided to join to help and to get help from others

My Cars
    2000 740IL

Thumbs up not new but coming back more now

[QUOTE=IcemanBHE;18451520]

Googled
    the right thing to do since I do love my 7 and HATE making a mechanic a millionaire working on my car

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? lurked

fist time ever for me to be on a form and wasn't sure of the protocols etc. still learning how to effectively communicate on a form. Needed to get use to the layout etc.
    2000 740IL
    Midnight Blue ext.
    Montana Tobacco Brown int.

My Cars
    2004 325 cab
    Did a Yahoo search for a problem and it came up

I have been a car forum user for years and am a great supporter of them. They make owning cars like these a reality. I like light DIYs. Clears the head on the weekends. This appears to be the most active for the e38

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Active right away

Todd
    00 740i

My Cars
    07 B7 , 91 E30 (m102)3.5
    google search , i was looking into some info for a e65/66 2003

well as a mechanic its good to see what people are complaining about their bmws (common problems) and some responses even help me from time to time and this forum is the "chillest" compared to the others ..

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? yes , ill help , ill learn , and ill listen ..

Im not a first time bmw owner .. infact our whole family drives bmw .. sister drives a 97 740 il with 01 facelift , father drives a 2001 740il , mother drives a 05 745li , and i drive 07 alpina b7 (750) supercharged .. but now we have show cars that are classics "e24" we have a 79 645 (84 745 euro 3.5 turbo motor "m101/102" ) 86 euro 635csi henna red , and a 85 m635 grey market cosmos blue

me and my father own and run a independant mechanic shop , we work on most makes but i specialize in bmw , i went to UTI and later took the "fast track" program for bmw .. i work on benz also althou i dislike them with all my heart ..

we do everything here from japanese to british .. although i really dont know what saab was thinking when building a car .. lol

back to the bmws my first car when i was 14 was a e21 320 black with the plastic bbs honeycomb wheels , after when i turned 16 and got my lisence i got a 91 318 is which later on did a 2.5 swap with a bigger cam h&r springs bielstin shocks
    fully adjustable sway bar front and rear , front stress bar and i had most of the parts polished ..

any questions !? hit me UP
    Last edited by alpinaman; 01-17-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: adding more info

My Cars
    1983 320is, 320is turbo
    1. I googled E32 (insert various problems I've had here) and Bimmerforums popped up

2. I decided to join because I had so many questions of my own that I couldn't seem to find anywhere else. I seem to have very specific problems that not many other have had.

3. I did lurk for a few days but needed to join so I could ask question and supply answers for others!

Bimmerforums has been awesome! I've learned so much and fixed quite a few things!
    Thanks for all the help from everybody!

My Cars
    2008 750Li
    - Googled opinions on 2008 E66s.

- Seems like a very active and helpful online community.

-Lurked until I thought I could add something, most of my questions were already answered in previous posts if I searched hard enough.

-See above.

Thanks for a great forum.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    - Yahoo'd info on my 1988 735i

- Lots of good info. I have an FJ cruiser (bought it new in 2007) and joined the FJ Cruiser Forum and found it to be very helpful.

-Posted fairly quickly and even quicker once I found out I needed 10 to get PM

N/A

My Cars
    null
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Stumbled upon a few DIY guides that were on the forum. Thought it had alot of good resources so I stuck wth it.

2. Why did you decide to join? To post a picture of some random bolt i found in my oil pan and to see if the experts could tell me where they came from.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? My "lurk" period lasted a couple day. Usually I dont join a forum unless I really need help. I needed it and got it super fast.

Overall I find these forums and members very knowledgable, forthcoming with their information, and the information within these forums is also well organized. I never would have attempted to go in and change out my timing chains myself but with the right help and a few pictures anyone can do anything they really want and bimmerforums makes it possible for the average joe to tear apart their car to fix something that a shop wants $4000+ to do.

Keep up the good work yall.

My Cars
    MB W140
    1. Heard about it via Google.
    2. Need to ask a question.
    3. I lurked for about I week.
    4. I lurked because I didn't really have a need to register until now.
    I also like the layout and format of these forum and my initial impression is that you guys here are quite nice.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 735iL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? While googling issues I was having with my car

2. Why did you decide to join? To learn how to fix said issues from BMW experts (or, at least, people more knowledgeable than me)

Almost instantly

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    - Bing search for "BMW Forum"

- Purchased a '94 740i (E32) and need to work on it.

- Lurked and searched

- Not familiar with the model enough to add to conversation

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport

Smile I finally joined!!!

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? A: I found BimmerForums via google when I began my search for an E38.

2. Why did you decide to join? A: After more than two years of "lurking", I have learned SO MUCH from you guys, and have finally made the purchase on a 2001 Sport. At this point, I would feel a little "creepy" about continuing to "lurk"...lol!

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? A: Now that I have finally officially "joined", I plan to be an active poster. I am looking forward to being able to take full advantage of the forum, to develop relationships with fellow posters, and to contribute to the community!

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? A: That's what I really have liked about this forum - people are ALWAYS willing to share information - I have really been educated by the members. Originally, I didn't join because I wasn't an actual "BMW Owner"... Now that I have my E38, I hope to be involved in the conversations!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 735i
    1. Googling to find potential issues for the different eras of 7's, what to look for when buying, bimmerforums kept popping up with seemingly more concise information in the posts i was reading.

2. I have always loved 7 series sedans especially E32's and E38's

3. This is my first post here, I lurked for several weeks

4. I was not positive that I was actually buying one, I was trying to find a decent one, just bought a 1990 735i today, and so I joined

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

lonsod

This is my first time replying, I've been reading some of the blogs and responces here I dont know very much about BMWs. I have a 2001 740i and a 1989 525i. Both were bought in the last 6 months. I guess I'm not very knowledgeable about web sites, forums, or BMWs. Also i have been lurking in the back ground to find someplace to go to for ideas and answeres. I Googled BMWs and this is the place I landed. I just want to say thanks for all the good info & hope to add some day.

My Cars
    00 740iL 08 UltraClassic

New owner/member

Hello I am Jud!

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google seach when looking up reliability stats on the 3 and 7 series I was considering purchasing.

2. Why did you decide to join? Because I bought the 7 series and I know I will need help.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I posted day 2 so I would say active since I joined.

Nope!

I am happy to be here. I2.5 weeks ago I bought a Champagne 00 740 iL with 99k on the clock. I drive about 1100 miles a week and I was getting a sore neck driving my Infiniti I30. I put 267k on the clock before selling it to my cousin to buy something that would run as well with as much room and handling had to be as good. I looked at a 3 series ix wagon, Acura RL and TL, Volvo S70 and S70 wagon, Impala, two other 7 series, two 5 series and an A6 wagon. I lugged my cousin who is a mechanic his wife and my wife around to find the perfect replacement. This absolutely Beautiful 7 series won hands down. I know I will need help with her down the road so I am here to find out everything I can to beat the 267k set by my infiniti.

My Cars
    1999 740iL

New member poll

- Google can find anything

- I actually started here with my e34 but I sold it... now I'm back after getting my dream car; an e38

- I lurked... that's my style. I wanted to learn the flow here and see how everyone interacts; was please with the format so I stuck around and then came back

- see above

My Cars
    2001 750il - 98K

New member poll

Google: BMW Forums

So i can learn, and work on my car, and to get help with the questions i might have.

Lurk around because i dont know much and want to learn, dont want to post something stupid.

My Cars
    2001 740 il
    Bought an E38 and low and behold had issues instantly. Searched around on the internet for answers and found this site. Joined immediatly so I could ask questions and respond as well. I think this site is great only wish I could meet some of the people on here.

Shane

My Cars
    2002 745i
    Since I bought my E38 a few months ago, I've googled how to do this and that to fix up my car. I've checked out a few of the BMW forums, and I like how this one is presented the best. I tried posting questions on other places and I was usually met with people who scoffed at my novice knowledge. Not the case with this place. I lurked around for a little while reading past posts and people here seem to be genuinely interested in helping one another, sharing knowledge, and being nice to n00bs like me I'm still pretty new here (only posted a handful of times), but I hope to come here often and build some good friendships with people who take pride in their Ultimate Driving Machine.
    A redline a day keeps the mechanic away...

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast