Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    1995 e38 M60B30 Euro
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?

I'm already on e38 forum and heard of you there.

2. Why did you decide to join?

It just seemed like the right thing to do.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

You'll probably hear too much of me right away

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    Google and Internet searches.

I was looking for a "new" to me used car and finally decided and purchased a 740IL.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

I lurked for a long time. About 2 weeks.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

I did not buy a BMW yet (although I owned a few over the years) and when I finally got one - I thought it would be time to contribute.

My Cars
    '85 735i - "Adelaide"
    1. David Cecil's 733i E23 Restoration Links

2. All the handy-dandy DIY instructionals

3. I watched for a while from another account but wanted to change my name.

4. I had zero technical knowledge about BMW's before taking on the daunting task of a DIY E23 735i (my BS in ME helps a lot). I still don't post too much because a lot of the questions I have are already answered/archived somewhere on the site.

My Cars
    1980 e23 735I
    thank a member of my e23 fan page on fb

because i can give a hand with euro spec e 23 e 24 and sometimes i need help

and i want to enjoy

My Cars
    1990 BMW 750il
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? My dad who sold me the car was a member and turned me on to it.

2. Why did you decide to join? Because I know I'm going to need help

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? right away. I joined today and have posted today.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iA
    Bing search for e38

I decided to join because there seemed to be a lot of knowledgeable people writing in the forums

I lurked for about a week and watched the forums

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?
    I don't know much about cars and felt technically unequal to the conversations. Once I finally posted, I felt very welcomed.

My Cars
    1985 735i
    OK see below
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? Good i nfo , Helpful folks

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Lurk

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? Both and a bit shy

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.

My Cars
    1983 733i

Online search

Restoration project. Need sound advise.

read/watch

Do not have enough experience with these vehicles to contribute. Have followed advise provided to others when troubleshooting my vehicle. Thanks.

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla

Google, of course. Many solutions to problems with my '89 735i ended up being resolved here.

I bought just bought a '91 E31 850i and needed some help, Additionally, I've learned a lot over the last few years and wanted to give back. My first post was in reply to "How many miles on your E32?" 244K, many thanks to this forum.

Active right away!

I "lurked" for a year or two, finding and solving common problems from time to time with google. I didn't feel the need to say "yup, that worked for me too" nor did I have time to dig into other's issues the last few years (lots going on in my life, school work, house, marriage, etc)

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    1. I learned about this site from my mechanic

2. I decided to join because I had a few questions regarding my e38 and I know my mechanic was tired of me asking him

3. I was a lurker for a few days before I decided to post

4. I lurked because I am not on the Internet that often but I told myself I would make it a habit to check out this forum as often as I check my email

Also, I have been on the fence for quite some time if I was going to sell my e38, but after seeing true enthusiast and how great shape their cars were in, I decided I am going to keep mine.

I am having a vanos issue; it seems like every time I get one thing fixed something else goes wrong. Especially for a car I hardly drive!

Thanks for changing my mind about my e38! I think I am in love again, but she keeps breaking my heart and my wallet…
    Last edited by cdmci; 04-13-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Mispelled words

My Cars
    2006 750Li
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? Car issues

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Lurked for a few weeks

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? - I like to search and find the info myself before asking someone. I couldnt find the exact answer i was looking for, so i joined.
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 04-14-2011 at 10:16 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google. Finally bought the car I have lusted after since the first time I laid eyes on one and was Looking for answers to common E38 problems.

2. Why did you decide to join? All (most) of the posters seemed very genuine about helping others with the same affliction.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? This is my first post I hope I'm doin' it right.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? I dunno, it certainly wasn't a lack of posters being forthcoming. Yes, I am not technically advanced enough to even explain any issues I might have but the forum is great for finding the issues I have. RRK

My Cars
    1998 750il
    I probably learned about bimmerforums.com from searching an issue with my E38.

I joined because I'm comfortable with forums (I have a few custom built forums myself) and appreciate the ease of communication.

I posted an introduction right away. I have owned a few BMW's and may have some experiences I can share. I also have a project 7 and will be asking the guru's some questions.

I also put the E38 forum URL on the homescreen of my iphone.

My Cars
    2001 L7 Limo.
    I could find when I have to find BMW(E38) communication and information site by serch engine.
    I want to enjoy life with my own car.
    Sometime instinctively post,somtime hesitate to post.
    4. If are you lurked, Why?
    I was interested in highly technical content. But
    I hope in my English skills are extremely scarce, and sorry to.
    Last edited by Juiti Genko; 05-13-2011 at 06:00 AM.

My Cars
    87E32iL,90E32,91E31:M70
    Hallo BMW vrienden, goodday BMW friends,

As a first post I'll take a minute to answer this poll for good measure to you all,..

Googeling to find out if and how I could fit the EML/DME combo from my 91E31M70 donor car into my 87E32iLM70 project car. (Can't even get a readout from the OBD-I, not sure what is wrong, bought the E32 as-is for little, previous owner say's he could fire up the engine and keep it running by manually turning the throttle but I'll just swap all the Motronics stuff including cables and relais and see what happens, unless anybody here could point me to a better plan, lol)

Good question btyw, I am kind of a lurker usually and I am also quite well able to find stuff out on my own but getting strated on this E32iL I needs so much extra knowledge (again) I thought it to be wise to actually get involved with you all upfront (driving and maintaining E31M70 over 5 years now), and there is that social aspect also of course,.. maybe I'll be able to give back a little now and then,..

At this forum active from the start

My Cars
    1994 BMW 740il
    Did a Google search on BMW transmissions and this site came up.

The members seemed to have the knowledge I needed and I wanted to ask a few questions (I am not a "car" person).

I actually lurked (about two years ago when my Bimmer was having tranny problems) but I'm back and want to post actively as I am considering fixing up my ride.

As stated, the advice members provide to each other was very helpful and put me on the right path. However, I now need to ask some very specific questions so joining just seemed the thing to do.

My Cars
    1998 Lexus LS 400
    A: A wonderful search engine titled "google"

A: I felt like it would be nice to envelop myself in another community filled with enthusiasts (and people who know way more about bimmers than I do).

A: Well, joined a few minutes ago, so I'm trying to redeem myself for lurking without having a membership for a few months.

A: I lurked mainly for the fact that 1.) I don't own a 7 series or a BMW [yet] and 2.) I wasn't sure I was going to use the forums as much as I'd expected!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    A. Google

A. Share with fellow BMW enthusiasts

A. Active right away

I came across this forum because I was getting ready to purchase my 07 750Li and I wanted to see what kind of issues or concerns to look out for or to be prepared for in my journey to find the perfect car. I also wanted to know what kind of technical support/resources I will have available after I become a BMW owner. Hence, here I am now. Thanks!

Last edited by topckret; 07-05-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Easier to read

My Cars
    1987 BMW 735i e32 RHD

the allmighty goog brought me here!

I need lots of help! My e32 has been garaged for 3 years and i'm trying to get it back on the road - the car is solid, but it has lots of minor issues especially with electronics - and then there's the BMW feature .. as soon as you fix one thing, another one breaks.

right away - it's annoying that PM's are not enabled - there was a guy with a UK e32 being parted that I really needed to contact.

people have already been very helpful!

My Cars
    1998 BmW 740il, Faith

I googled it.

Ive been a Benzworld member for a long time and finally moved on to the the bimmer world. Bimmerforums have way better feedback and allot of involved members.

I lurked boy did i Lurk for atleast 2 years. I lurked mostly because I didnt feel welcomed, or right at all to post anything untill I had a bimmer myself. Researching and studying on this forum really helped me with my plans and buying my first bmw. I feel as if i have nothing to offer until i got my own brotha.

My Cars
    Nothing yet :p
    Google

I'm going to buy my FIRST car and i want to learn everything :P

Since i know nothing... i'll lurk around

My Cars
    1983 732i bmw
    Q 1 research on the net.
    Q 2 dedicated people make a cause worthwhile
    Q 3 not into lurking
    Q 4 I am an observer here to learn

My Cars
    2004 745Li

-Google

-Bought my 1st BMW and wanted to see what other people had to say about the brand as well as looking for accessories for my new ride .

- I look 1st before I post.

- The answers to my questions are already available on the thread.

My Cars
    1997 328ic 5speed

Thumbs up

Google search for similar malfunctions on various models

Seems to be a lot more technically inclined, like-minded individuals on this particular forum.

Yes- I was looking for immediate insight on an E38 that was giving me trouble.

I may not be as technically advanced as a lot of the members here, but I do work on Bimmers everyday & hope to be able to add to the collective, and gain advice & direction in the future from others.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

Forum Poll

I actually joined several years ago when I had a 528. Previously had a 750, and now have a 2001 740iL. I am an old fart who just likes the cars and is not mechanically inclined and don't want to be. The forum has lots of expertise and guys like me can get enough info to have some idea of the nature of problems, probable fixes and costs when taking the car in for service. When I was working, I could throw $$ at the problems...can't do that anymore. I only want to fix what is wrong...and need a shop that works that way.

I think I read posts for a few days before signing up. I signed up because there is lots of good info available, because I love these cars, and while I can't add of lot in terms of mechanical expertise, I might be able to say what to avoid based on bad experiences, or on things I have encountered and had fixed.

I think I initially heard about the forums while googling a specific problem I was having.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast