Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    BMW 1985 735i, 2000 323i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google.

2. Why did you decide to join?

Firstly, as a first time BMW owner (project car), I acquired an '85 E23 and was looking for info to turn the clock back on its life. Secondly, after checking out all the other sites, I found that Bimmerforums had the broadest variety of info.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

Not right away but still "lurk" regularly.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

To gather knowledge about my E23 and now Bimmers in general. Technically competent enough, just new to BMW and now I want to know as much as possible.

Bentley H.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

response

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?

I was searching for answers to problems with the new purchase of my 740il. Found numerous pops from a google search.

I have been a VERY active member on other forums before. I find them priceless in the information you can obtain. I find this one especially helpful without a lot of the flaming that goes on in other boards.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

I kind of lurked out of curiosity for a few days.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

I wanted to ensure this was not another flaming board like some of the others I started out using in the past. Always know that when just buying a type of car for the first time, you are green and might ask what a lot consider "stupid newby questions". Not everyone has as much experience with these cars as some of you do. Some don't even have a strong technical background on cars at all. Thanks for the board.

My Cars
    1995 740i
    I've heard of it mentioned by a couple friends of mine.

Had a particular question that I couldn't find a straight answer.

Lurked for a little while, to see what kind of info was available.

Seemed like there was a good amount of info in a number of people, though I'm still learning and taking in more than contributing.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

1. Link from Bimmerboard

2. Another active E23 board

3. Active immediately.

4. N/A

I much prefer this forum design, the Vbulletin? over the old style message boards. But again, just another E23 site is good. If I can help one person great. Two, even better. Maybe they can help me if I get hung up.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    2000 740i E38
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    Had a leaking power steering hose.

Was reading a post about key sync & one of the guys asked, "have you checked the gas door actuator?" He didn't even remember how he knew that. I HAD to join a board where some of those smarts might rub off on me

Lurked for a while looking at cool cars/mods. Maintenance.

I found a ton of info just searching for answered questions. I'm not very technically/mechanically savvy but the detail & pics give me hope and I have already done things that I would never have attempted 6 mos ago. Haven't broke anything YET! I still haven't got an answer to a q about a xenon ballast prob I am having but its only been a few hours.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this site.

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Intune; 12-06-2010 at 06:52 PM.

My Cars
    1995 torch red vette
    http://www.westsidehummer.com/vehicl...mw-7-series--7

Hey folks ...

Just joined today ... not a lurker ... signed up only 2 days after first hearing about your site.

Was signed up as a newbie at another Beemer Forum, but was given the cold shoulder ... more than 40 views and only one hello. Go figure.

Anyway, thought I'd try my luck here ... seems to be much friendlier bunch then my prior Forum.

Please check out the website above and tell me if you think this 750IL is worth $9K ... he's willing to dicker, so I think I can get him down to $8K.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740IL E38
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? E38.org

2. Why did you decide to join? I have found forums to be very helpful and think they are worth the effort.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I posted 2 questions right off the bat.

4. If you "lurked", Why? No "lurker" here

My Cars
    2006 750 Li
    1) I was a member of a forum for my last car (a 300C SRT8) and I just figured they would have one for my new to me BMW

2) I found the 300C forum to be an invaluable tool that helped make my ownership experience better, and the car perform better.

3) This is my first day and my first post.

4) Not lurking

My Cars
    03 BMW 745Li,99 Lexus Es
    I learned about bimmerforums by google search for some Bmw questions. I decided to join because people know what they are talking about since they own bimmers themselves. This is my first reply so I am a lurker. I "lurked" just because everyone seemed to answer all questions which I would just be repeating what everyone had answered.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740i

New Member Poll

Thought I would post here in reply to the poll.

I joined because I bought a used E38 (1999 740il) and found this site through either Google or Bing (can't remember) searching for answers to some issues I was having with the car. I lurked for a month or two before joining.

My Cars
    91 318is, 98 740iL

Found it when I got into E30's

Joined for E30's and now the E38

Lurk and learn

Information in the E38 section is outstanding. Answers to tech questions are rapid and helpful. The level of maturity is refreshing. I don't post unless I have something to say or ask.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 1995 740i

Thumbs up

Google search for common E38 problems kept finding hits here, and I seem to recall seeing it pop up while searching for stuff on my E30 earlier

I need a resource who knows more than I do; I prefer to become an expert on anything I do, and the only way to do that is to surround myself with existing experts. An active forum is one of the easier ways to do that for someone who lives in a rural area and owns a couple of older German cars.

Right away; within 2 days of getting the E38. I just read passively with the E30, since r3vlimited seemed to have more active / more focused content when I had just the E30. But that car's gone now, and I'm finding that I like the more broad knowledge base here (so far).

My Cars
    93 BMW 740i

Talking

Searched Google for a 93 740i to see what kind of issues are common and how expensive they are to fix.

I used to be a STI owner and the iwsti.com forum is the best I have ever been a part of. I was hoping this one be similiar but it doesnt seem like people do a lot of DIY stuff here. :-( I will try to add to the forum once I get started changing things over.

I just joined yesterday and have just been searching. I dont want to be the guy who posts questions without researching them first to see if someone already asked such questions.

I dont consider myself a lurker since I am posting an answer to these questions.

My Cars
    E38 750il
    found it via google, seems to have heaps of great people willing to have a yarn, most seem well versed in all things bmw which is great, does not seem to be many dreamers which is good.

worst site on the internet for dreamers is www.nissansilvia.com

My Cars
    1998 Volvo S70 T5m
    1. I was looking on Google for info on running a standalone with a M70 and this site came up.

2. I decided to join because I felt this site can be a very good resource for my up-coming project car build.

3. I was indeed an active poster right away.

4. N/A

My Cars
    2004 BMW E65 730D Sport
    Hi Guys! I'm new to bimmerforums.com! Glad to be a part of the community! Here are my replies...

I've had my Beemer for about 3 months, and this forum was always coming tops in Google. Also, I've joined a similarly named forum (bimmerforums.co.uk) so when searching for that one, this also came up.

As I've got a 7 series, there seemed to be loads of people on this site with active threads. So just got reading!

I've been lurking for about a month or so.

Just didn't get round to it, but wanted to post a question about my 7 series, so thought I'd join. Thought it'd be rude to not say hi before posting my question!!

My Cars
    1996BMW 750il
    Hello,I am new member here! Thanks for all the help on this forum, the one and only to helps out each other who loves BMW product.I had own a 1996 750il the problem i got is i cannot open pass side front door. cannot unlock with key or remote(the other 3 doors was work fine) pulled handle in and out still not unlock...please help if you got any idea. thankz

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330Ci
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google search

2. Why did you decide to join? For more information on the BMW 7 series

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Yes

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? Lurked and still lurking at this time but will be posting questions in the immediate near future on the 7 series. I'm not that technical on the 7 series at all and still trying to get a good feel for the forum and how to ask questions.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    1. How did I learn of Bimmerforums?
    I Bing searched for information and was directed to the site!

2. Why did I join?
    Just reading the post was very educational. I find that most of the people involved can understand where the nebie is coming from and guide him to bliss!

3. Was I active or did I lurk around?
    I must say I lurked for about 3 or 4 days before taking the dive.

4. Why? Computers are new to me. I know I live in the stone ages but I've never realized their potential. I guess I need to get over that!

Lawdog 8234

My Cars
    10-1999 728i Sport
    1. Google search.
    2. member of another forum so thought what the heck join this as well.
    3. No still lurking.
    4. Not sure, but seems there are way too many sarcastic bastards on here.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

Smile New Member

How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?
    I had been a member years ago when I owned a 750iL.

I have a 740iL now and was reading posts to see what was going on, what problems people were seeing, etc.

Active...after I joined...lurked for a while previous to that.

I was really just looking around - then, I had a couple of issues that looked like an open-ended invitation to a repair shop ($$), and I wanted to see what folks thought about the prob lems before looking to get them fixed. I am not a DIYer...I avoid the dealer like a plague. I have two decent shops out here, but one doesn't have the best tools...but is honest. The other has all the toys, but I am not sure about them yet. So it is nice to have some knowledge when taking the car in. I can get that here.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 750

Thumbs up

1. Google and found you.
    2. Just got myself a 97 BMW 750.
    3. Seen you on many different BMW sites then checked you out and joined.
    4. I'm sure to find someone that can help with anything about BMW as this is a new found love.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? google searching performance stuff for my new 735i

2. Why did you decide to join? Like the way the different sets of cars are set apart ie e32 forum

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Just joined right when I saw it. 10 min ago and I have my "new members" post up

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? N/A

My Cars
    740i

- Google

- I'm an active member on several forums and know how helpful they can be and enjoy returning the favor when I have learn the answers.

- Lurked for a short while but generally I find you get better results when you jump right in. I'm not shy like that

- Only lurked to get a feeling for the quality/quantity of knowledge available from the members. Didn't take long to get the temperature of the place. Overall, I found the tone to be welcoming, supportive and mature in their responses.

As a side note, I have learnt that as forums grow, so too do their contingent of 'trolls' and 'keyboard warriors'. It would appear that the moderators have done a decent job here at weeding those guys/gals out and I believe that is the true sign of a well run board.

My Cars
    95 BMW 740iL , MY09 320i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? from Xoutpost

2. Why did you decide to join? Don't like to just take and as I learn I may be able to help others.As others have said probably one of the best BMW site out there .

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?I did a few weeks reading before joining then introduced myself a couple of days later.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? Yes I would rather not leed people astray with uninformed comments .

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast