Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?

I was looking for all sorts of help with my 1998 740iL and found lots of good information here.

2. Why did you decide to join?

I want a place to call "home" when needing help or just a place to hang out to talk about the e38.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

I made one post which I can't find right away now to remember the topic yet I was and am more of a lurker.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

I lurk/lurked because I feel I don't have the expertise in the car yet except for mine and I refer to and label things differently than they are referred to here and by those more veteran to this phenomenon called BMW and the sub-culture of e38s. That fact tends to keep me looking rather than asking because I just "know" I'm asking a question that has been asked 101x and I just haven't found the post because I keep calling it a triangle rubber grommet versus a protection cap. Now that I have purchased my 2nd e38 I plan to be more outspoken and inquiring because I do find there are helpful people here and the information is quite good. I just want to let you all know I am not the sharpest nail in the box nor do I get some things on the first go, yet I am devoted to my car and hope to do many things on my own with your help.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    [QUOTE=IcemanBHE;18451520]There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

I googled my specific problem and checked out the forums. This seemed the best by far.

Initially I had to in order to post my issue. Additionally I purchased my first BMW and wanted an active place not only to help with issues but to learn about the car in more detail.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

I posted right away to ask a question. At least I think I did.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

Some 'actor' named Luke helped me right away. =) My technical/mechanic experience mostly comes from working on cars from the Muscle Car era, so coil packs, cam sensors, etc. are somewhat a new experience for me. But I rarely feel overwhelmed when trying to learn different technologies and such.

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

Chuck

My Cars
    1984 733i, 1987 735i

Poll about joining

Google search

Because the postings were newer (and still active) than where I was getting my advice previously. ROADFLY.

I posted right away to ask a question.

Very forthcoming with your help, thank you! I have many questions so I hope I don't blow out my welcome!

Dave

My Cars
    1998 740i - 2009 318i
    This is almost a 100% copy paste from other member...

google search for "bmw forum"

I wanted to join a BMW forum, this one has the most frequent posting

I registered and starting posting within a day or two.

I didn't lurk at all

Pedro

My Cars
    2001 740 il
    I was told by the previous owner about some sites.. your was one. Looked around, read some stickys, could tell from my vast experience w/ BBS's that this was probably a good one with alot of info. Ill prob post soon if i cant find the info i need or some good advice.

My Cars
    01 740i sport

searched google and looked for the most informative site i could find

the site layout and the ammount of information was similar to the crown vic forum i am a part of. the amount of information here is absolutely amazing!

posted my introduction right away

i am still not as active of a poster because i am still soaking up all the information about the car. once i learn enough to put in my input i will, until than i don't want to post assumptions and technical guesses lol
    2001 740i sport

My Cars
    1998 e36 328i - M3 diff
    Google search to learn differences between 7-series'.

I love forums, and I like the community they bring. I like learning new things, I like not making stupid mistakes.

I just got here and this is my first post!

I am most likely technically competent, I'm just searching for info right now!

I was looking for the NEW MEMBER thread, but I couldn't find it, so I guess this is my HI! post.

Just picked up a semi-broken 1995 740il. I'll start my own thread as soon as it gets here. Thanks!

My Cars
    1993 740iL

Thumbs up

1 I found you guys when googling about an e38 that i did not end up purchasing. after getting my current and pit of dispair e32 i came across you guys again in my feverish googling for info.

2. I decided to join because of the wealth of information on here that i could not get anywhere else, and the community of members seemed laid back and willing to share without making someone feel dumb for asking an obvious question

3. I would say I lurked for about a week and then joined so I could ask questions.

4. I waited and watched to see what kind and the temperment of people when questions were asked. i consider myself an above average tinkerer and have a technical side to me, i just wanted to see if the staple members would be the kind to actually help and be inviting, and as luck would have you guys were.

As of this moment I am still addressing a whole slew of issues with my bimmer, and i have to say that members like e32fan, shogun, and others provide this site with a knowledge base that is hard to find anywhere on any topic. thanks guys

My Cars
    2000 A4
    The almighty GOOGLE

I heard there was free beer tomorrow.

Posted Right away

Looks like there is some very good info here. Hope I don't need very much of it.

My Cars
    1981 e12

Noob Reply

I've seen bimmerforums before when searching for parts or technical info for my e12, or my dads 745 turbo, but just recently joined

We're have an e23 that we're scrapping, so I thought this would be a good place to post about it. I've sold parts before, but primarily on ebay and firstfives.org

I just joined TO post, so active right away.

UHHH N/A
    I'm basically responding to get my privilages up! =]
    In the future I'll be posting more items for sale I'm sure.

Once I have a glass sunroof on my e12, I know we have a spare one that I may part with for the right offer!

My Cars
    01-740i Sport SILVER/BLK
    hey guys..
    sorry im just a lil over the 6 mo cut off lol
    but i found it via gOgLe lol
    i was looking for a 01-740i sport!!! wanted to scope out the classifieds & ask some advice questions!!
    i lurked a lil, as im NEW to the BMW game!! lol
    bus sooo far ive learned a bunch of stuff just reading posts!!! =)
    i joined beacause im a member on a dodge charger forum, as i just sold my 68 R/T 440!! =/ , and i gained soooo much knowledge & made some great friends on that forum!! so i figured hey.. the more car friends.. the merrier!!! lol
    thanks!!!!!
    -john
    p.s. and im still looking for my 01 740i sport!!!!!! lol

1965truckrod is offline JFV Photography BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1993 BMW 740IL (E32)
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? I am a long time member of socaleuro.com and a lot of people recommend Bimmerforums as there is a lot of experience and diversity on these forums.

2. Why did you decide to join? Socaleuro is great for an all around forum but I wanted to join something specific to the car that I picked up (1993 740 E32)

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I did a lot of searches for the related issues I had with the car initially to get an idea of what sort of parts I would need to troubleshoot/replace.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? My lurking consisted of about 2 hours of searching so it wasn't really very long but if there was something I had knowledge of or thought that I would have a say in I would definitely speak up. I tend to be the guy answering all the questions related to VW MK IV's as I own a 2004 VW GTi 1.8T and have done extensive modifications to the car.

Jesse

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    1. searching for tech help after finding and buying a nice 01 740il.
    2. I joined to be part of a community where specific information and knowledge is shared for the greater good. I enjoy reading the posts that result in a triumph for owner and sound repair for car.
    3.I posted fairly early on. I'm also a member on other Chevy forums.
    4. I lurked for quite some time as I was interested only in extracting techniques and how to's. Of coarse after awhile, I started to feel like a reclusive leech of sorts, so I took the plunge.
    ®n

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    I learned from my friend
    Decided to join just as soon as I picked up my 7
    Good way to learn about the car
    I am also a member of another forum (Pennocks Fiero Forum) and that helped me quite a bit
    So I figured this forum can also help me with my questions.
    I like the fact that it concentrate only with e38's.
    I truly enjoy this forum.
    Last edited by kooljess; 09-08-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Kooljess 2001 740i Sport (Society of 7's) (OO=[][]=OO)
    http://www.wix.com/oppasbimmer/society-of-7

My Cars
    Looking for a 95-00 740
    I googled BMW forum

I have been and am a member of all sorts of forums from cars to boats to PC's and pools. I believe I was a member of this forum 5 or so years ago when I had my '89 535. Loads of info can be had.

I have been lurking and reading, I will be buying a 00-01 740i, il or Sport after the first of the year, so I'm sure I'll be posting soon.

I've been lurking to make sure I read all that has already been asked so-as-not to ask the same questions over again.

Thanks!!

My Cars
    1998 740il
    1. google

2. knowledgeable forums and members who were also passionate of their 740s'

3. did alot of forum trolling mostly

4. lurked the forums for a few days. i was actually trying to do it by myself and learn from other members experiences. many were similar to mines. so i was just like hey, might as well join and maybe post the river of tears im trying to swim across. which i just did a few moments ago. and im learning alot about bmw which i never wanted to before.

its kind of exciting to learn a whole new world that i never wanted to.

My Cars
    99 740i, 96Z28, 91RS, 87IROC, 99328i
    Google search.

After the purchase of my 740, I needed to find a forum of like minded owners and DYI'ers.

Read and searched first. Then as now prior to posting for information or sharing.

Many topics are well covered in post histories. If not or need advice, then I post.
    99 740i BMW, 99 328i BMW, 99 Chevy Suburban, 86 GMC 6.0 stroker street rod, 87 Chevy IROC Z28 custom

My Cars
    9/94 740i, 5/06 X5 4.4i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Googled "BMW forums" and this came up. Thought I'd take a look. I joined ten seconds later.

2. Why did you decide to join? Because BMW was new territory for and I figured I could learn a lot from the other members on this forum.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Nope, posted right away.
    (9/94, GF61, JPN: M60B40, ZF 5HP30, 3.15:1)
    (5/06, FB53, US: N62B44, ZF GA6HP26Z, 3.46:1)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I bought a 740iL and needed to learn as much as I could about it. When I googled the questions this site kept coming up.
    2. Why did you decide to join? Since this site kept coming up it seemed logical to join the place with so many answers.
    3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I lurked around for a bit.
    Two reasons.
    1. I wanted to get the vibe of the forum
    2. I wanted to use the "search" button before I asked questions.
    Last edited by Lazy8; 10-29-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    2001M5, 1995M5 2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? better to be involved than on the outside looking in

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? been lurking til this post

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? Have experience in many probs with these stunning cars. Been an active member of the m5board since 2002

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined. As per Q2

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.

I hope these answers are sufficient
    Last edited by Steve Mac; 10-30-2010 at 04:21 AM.

My Cars
    Check the Signature

I don't have an E32, but wanted to answer anyway

It was the best site out there for E31 folks and the board layout is my favorite of all the Bimmer sites.

Because I LOVE the camaraderie amongst the members

I posted my first thread as an introduction!

This is the best Bimmer site there is, even the more specific sites out there for certain models.

I use Big Coupe and Mye28, but always, always start here and usually don't even head to Roadfly.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
    '92 Olds Toronado Trofeo (Project)

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)
    '20 M2:Competition 6spd (Sold)

My Cars
    2001 E38 728I

New member today..

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Searching for E32 owners club on Google.

2. Why did you decide to join? Looking for help info on the car.

Active straight away 1st post 2 mins after joining!

My Cars
    86 and 2000 seven series
    While negotiating the purchase of my car I spent time googling e38 which leads inevitable to e38.org and to this site.

Decided to join when I took deliver of the car. I found the existing information very useful. I'm not much of a mechanic but even to obtain some information about the problems with the car whether its diy or to discuss with shop and mechanic cannot help but be useful. My battery would not hold a charge so I searched the site and obtained good information about possible replacement batteries and also very detailed practical advice on changing the battery which I ended up doing.

So I appreciate that the members of this site can raise the level of understanding and expertise among the group about those technologically pretty advanced cars of ours.

I think that is a great thing

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    Found it on a Google search.

The layout of this forum is much better than bimmerboard, and it never hurts to register for another forum that includes E38s.

I lurked and read information for a few days before posting. I registered when I first bought my Bimmer, and only recently began posting.

Some are forthcoming in help. It just depends on who responds to the post, I guess.
    Last edited by coleshooter; 11-16-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Frauke: 2001 BMW 740iL -91k

My Cars
    1997 740i,Toyota 4runner
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? I googled BMW I needed a part or something can’t really remember
    2. Why did you decide to join? Because I bought a E38 and I wanted to be one of the cool guys LOL
    3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I started posting right away but then stopped for a few months now im back and I think I may be addicted!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast