Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    2000 740i, Dinan
    1. web search
    2. Forums are the best place to find info....I bought a BMW so I needed someplace new to call home!
    3. Lurked for awhile doing research on the different models

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iA Sport

Why I joined

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?
    Inet search E 38
    2. Why did you decide to join?
    great place to exchange ideas, learn from others experience, contribute meaningful dialogue
    3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?
    active within a few secs
    4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?
    not at all, a typ carfreak, E38 lover
    If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.
    Its a technically complex car. The more info, the easier the fixes, the better the adaptations, = the more fun.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.
    I agree, thx

My Cars
    99 740il, 51 CHEVY
    1. Always followed mojo's car. super sexy. its the reason i bought a 7.
    2. Thought it was time to stop looking and start posting!!!!
    3. Lurked. So what! lol
    4. Not sure. Most forums are only comfortable with the people they know most new members probably sign up and never log on again because they don't know anyone...

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport

Google searched.

I always join a forum related to the car I own for knowledge and info.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

Active lurker. A post here, a post there. Felt things out then got really active.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

Just like any other forum, newbies always get preyed upon so I tend to just sit off to the side and work my way in bit by bit.

My Cars
    '00 BMW 740i
    Q1: How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?
    A1: Just googled for large US/Int'l BMW forums, this was one of them... With definitely more user-friendly interface than the other one

Q2: Why did you decide to join?
    A2: To be able to share knowledge and experience with our BMW. And because of the "normal" user interface.

Q3: Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?
    A3: At first I was not even a lurker Just registered and forgot it for some time. But when decided to return, I started to post immediately.

Q4: If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?
    A4: Not really lurked, see A3.
    Best regards,
    Michal

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750iL
    Google.

I found a few forums, this one seemed to be the best for what I was looking for.

Well, I am new, so I can't say I'm an active poster. I lurked for maybe a week, but I expect I will have many questions, so I figured I had better introduce myself. Based on other boards I'm on, I expect to be active, but we'll have to see.

The posts I read as a lurker convinced me. I mean, if you guys can spend 7 pages helping a guy with a dead battery, you have more patience than many of the other boards I frequent.

My Cars
    92 E32, 735il, 04 350Z

Google searching.

It seemed like a very informative site.

Yes, active, I am an avid poster on my350z.com and I know that there is alot of expertise there, and from what I can tell there is alot here as well so I am putting it to use.

Advanced enough just not in these cars.
    Last edited by Nosurf2day; 05-12-2010 at 02:51 AM.

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    Google and I liked the way this forum is designed. Bimmerboard is too hard to read and CCA National and local don't have much new material. I started posting immediately because I wanted a signature and also tend to opine about everything in general. Never let a lack of knowledge hold me back. You've got some of the most knowledgeable guys I've seen anywhere and you all seem to have a lot of fun. Until I bought the 7 I had never done forums and now I don't know why. Props to all.
    I guess that I should add that I'm considerably older than 6 months,
    Last edited by meteck; 05-15-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add comment

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    1. I learned of BimmerForums.com just by searching BMW 740iL on google.

2. I joined because I wanted to post in the "You know you are a 7 series owner when ..." thread.

3. I did not lurk, I purely signed up to share what I had to say in the "You know you are a 7 series owner when ..." thread. I eventually I found out that the site was very interest and thus started my learning of everything possible there is to know about the e38.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1989 735i date 9/88
    Found from goggle, as 62 year old mechanic with 89 735i I'm always looking for more info/parts/etc. I had a problem which prompted my search and so far have not found an answer, however one member, Avec, has been very kind in trying to help. I use many other forums for other makes and find them much better than the Chilton or Haynes books for oddball issues. Thanks for the links to electrical troubleshooting manual, Avec, and to all others who try to help. I will try my best to help others as well.

My Cars
    98 740i
    i was introduced to this forum by onerepublic ,and i just acquired my first bmw a 98 740i (that needs some T.L.C.) I have had a benz in the past. I met onerepublic at the shop he talks about

My Cars
    1997 bmw 740i

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? -- a couple weeks after i got my e38, it was leaking coolant all the time--google searched the problems, and e38.org had a couple answers, with many references to this site..

2. Why did you decide to join? -- all the time when i search e38(either for fixes or for info) one way or another this site came up -- then after some really nice mod videos on youtube, i decided to stop being a creeper and actually register. :P

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? -- i creeped for 6 months then registered and posted immediately

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? -- pretty sure im not mechanically inclined enough to keep up with the conversations,

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by TNBT; 06-03-2010 at 01:59 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? googled bmw forums

2. Why did you decide to join? yours was the first hit.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? right away

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport

Google. I was doing some research when my wife picked up an E38 for my anniversary gift.

I got tired of "sitting on the sideline" and wanted to be an active part of the forum.

I lurked for about 6 months.

For some reason, my very first day viewing the forum, several of the members were rude and I wasn't sure I wanted to be apart of that. However, I still needed to do research for my car so I kept coming back. The forum was very helpful. Also, the more I lurked, I saw that majority of the people seemed really cool and only wanted to help or share the love for the BMW brand.

Ill start with my story:
    See above.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 728i

Dunno. Searching for engine swaps and soomewhere along the way a link popped up

It's full of awesome people who love their cars for all the proper reasons. I like that in a forum.

Mostly lurking cauz' I'm still finding out a lot of things for my 7er, but whenever I can post something I will. I'm not the shy type.

Not a problem I'm having but I have seen it happen at ********.gr and at another irrelevant forum I'm moderating for years.
    This is a quality forum, and all quality fora have the same problem. It's a little difficult for a newcomer to expose his opinion to such a good crowd.

My Cars
    1995 740il, 1994 540it,
    *Google

*To show off my E38 & give & receive knowledge on common problems.

*Avid poster right away.

*Only lurked in threads where I wasn't knowledgeable enough to assist.

My Cars
    08 TL-S (E38 shopping)
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Was searching for BMW forums

2. Why did you decide to join? Shopping for an E38. Need to learn all I can about them as I've never had a BMW.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Lurked for a bit, only as I really don;t know much about the car and don't have anything to contribute yet.

My Cars
    760Li, 2004
    Got to know about it from a web search

It was more organised than the other forums, by model

I found the info that I was looking for and read for 2 weeks before deciding to Join

Joined mainly to contribute back and learn more

My Cars
    1999 740IL

Reply:

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Needed help with an electrical problem and searched for BMW boards.

2. Why did you decide to join? So I could post a question.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Active poster right away.

I will definitely be a "consumer" of your board and not much of a "contributer".

My Cars
    1997 740iL
    How? My son's an e30 guy and he has used BimmerForums to answer a lot of questions for his e30 and my wife's z3.
    Why? Just bought an e38 (pix soon). Love the car, but it is a complex piece of machinery and I want to know all I can about it... Ignorance can be expensive and painful.
    Lurking? Not in my nature to stay on the sidelines

My Cars
    1990 750iL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? After buying a 7 series on a whim a few years back and had lots of little things come up, I started googling the answers and this forum always came up at the top of the results. Even though I've bought and sold 3 beemers since, this site always seems to have the answer.

2. Why did you decide to join? I wanted to be able to post questions that hadn't seem to have come up before. Turns out most of my problems have been seen and solved already, but I still felt better to join and 'be legit'. Plus, the site is pretty easy to navigate and that makes a BIG difference. All the info in the world is useless if you can't find it. You can find it here easily enough.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I lurked for a few days, then realized it was just better to join and be recognized. Plus, I enjoyed reading all the posts and replies and it just seemed right to become a member.

At first, I didn't know exactly how to ask my questions, but I soon realized that ya'll are all having a good time, ya'll are here to help everyone, and I've got a thick skin and a good sense of humor, so I felt I would be welcomed, so I joined. Don't regret it at all.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Sport
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? No idea

2. Why did you decide to join? All the other forums are dead. Ask a question and you'll be lucky to find out anything. Majority of threads are un-answered.

Right away

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport Pkg

Newcomer

1. Google, just joined.
    2. Bought a 2001 740i Sport recently, first BMW for me and basically starting from scratch with all there is ... absorbing like a dry sponge.
    3. I'll probably just lurk around for a while, thank you.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750IL

Member Poll/Questions

Used Google to search out BMW forums

Previous experience with a Porsche forum and now new ownership of a 750iL

Active right away since I noted a few problems with my 750iL. The forum helped me resolve all those issues with my servicing BMW Dealer

Ill start with my story:
    Thanks to all the members who provided me help.

F6218

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? There are 3 BMW's 93 740iL, 95 325i auto, and a 88 325is at my house.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Lurked alittle reading and getting to know the place.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? No reason I always like to read posts and see what kind of place I joined. In this case I found an excellant place for help and information.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast