Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    1989 735 iL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?

Google

2. Why did you decide to join?

pro-tips, community

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

lurked for a week, mostly researching issues

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

it's highly likely I'm not technically advanced enough to be involved in most conversations here, but got to start somewhere!

My Cars
    2000BMW740I; 2001BMW530I
    I reluctantly acquired a 2000 740i a couple years ago; mechanically sound but plenty of minor/moderate issues otherwise. It was cheap and had the space we needed for baby #3, but I really wasn't interested in the expense of a BMW. My husband is mechanically inclined and a pretty resourceful guy, and I don't care much about aesthetics or luxury features, so we've gotten away with few, relatively inexpensive repairs and maintenance since we've had it.

I first discovered this forum in my mission to identify the dreaded shimmy which had persisted for months - despite multiple tire changes, wheel change, and suspension repairs. My husband was out of ideas and I had no interest in spending thousands of dollars for the local BMW mechanic to diagnose it, so I went in search of accurate and reliable information online. This forum came up in my search results, among others, and has proven to be the most accurate, reliable, detailed, specific, and *collaborative resource I can find. I lurked, before joining, for probably 6 months.

Exploring the forum led me to discover common e38 problems and fixes as well as countless tips, tricks, and repair guides that have motivated me to make some improvements of my own and provided valuable info that I can pass on to my husband ... hopefully avoiding further damage from things like lack of finesse, falling off jack stands, absence of hub centric rings, etc.

The more I read, and learned, the more interested I became. Already my go to resource for collaborative ideas from what seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and experienced members/contributors, I finally joined a few weeks ago because I wanted to send a private message regarding parts. Shortly thereafter, I experienced some concerning symptoms with reduced power, shift delays, etc. When my search led to more questions than answers, I posted my first thread in hopes of getting some more individualized advice. I'm still figuring out the user interface and format preferences here but the feedback has been great so far. I've learned so much already!

I've also acquired an e39 and looking at another e38 for parts now, so I definitely look forward to collaborating and contributing more as I go

My Cars
    2000BMW740I; 2001BMW530I
    Quote Originally Posted by kenramonet View Post
    the site and how it works is complex and isn't exactly user-friendly. For example, when one posts, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to monitor incoming replies without tracking the post back down again in the stream. Not follow up in a day or two and there's a good deal of posts to sift through to uncover yours again. I would like to have a special area that saves ALL your posts and all the replies to it. Furthermore, it would also be nice to cherry pick good posts that one wants to save for future reference. There's A LOT of good stuff here and it isn't always easy to find it and tag it to create your own personal groupings to suit your personal needs.
    Welcome! As a fellow newb I thought I'd pass on what little I've learned about navigating the forum thus far. Specifically, monitoring incoming thread/post replies and how to easily find your posts, either threads you've created or those you've replied to.

Your username at the top of the page (where it says 'Welcome kenramonet') is an active web link to your profile page where, in addition to your actual profile details, all of your forum activity is stored! You can also navigate to this same page by clicking on 'My Profile' in the same area (top right on mobile browser, black toolbar). There is also a 'Notifications' link up there where you can check private messages. I'm not aware of any type of push notification settings although I do get emails when someone replies to my thread or sends me a pm.

As much help as this forum has been to me, I hope that I've been able to pass on some of my own knowledge here (as I don't yet have much BMW knowledge to contribute)!
    Last edited by Cmore; 10-02-2019 at 09:46 PM.

My Cars
    01 740 IL
    New to the 7series .. everytime I searched 740il this forum came up . So I felt this place must know about the show. So i want and need there info. Lol.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    I purchased the 1998 BMW e38 series and drove it for about a couple of months and I didn't know about the value cover was a common problem with oil leaks and I didn't know about the battery so the car went into limb mood transmission fail safe I can't get it out of that mode I've repaired the issue it had what would be my next step

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    I bought my BMW 740iA from a friend in 2016 so I joined them and I had forgotten about bimmerforums and now that I'm logged back in I'm in need of some help to get my car started again

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617