Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

My Cars
    E32 730i 1991, E34 520i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?
    - Searched google for help with changing the gearbox on my e32

2. Why did you decide to join?
    - Why not? Had nothing to lose, wanted to give it a try.
    I am an active member of www.bimmers.no, which is Norway's answer to this forum, so I knew the drill.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?
    - "Active" right away

4. If you "lurked", Why?

My Cars
    2000 BMW E38 740iL
    Hello all, my name is Rob.

I come from the Miata community and in having too many of them it leaves me with the problem of small car small space. So in searching CL I had found a car I've always wanted, an E38. I've had it for about a month now and working through all the wonderful issues that come with. Lurked through Google and found most of my answers through this forum so I decided to join and minuets later, my first post. As most know lurking is learning. I have a number of friends who drive BMW's. Seems to be a nice balance to my track Miata side. Hopefully the bug doesn't cross over, LoL.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL

Google search brought up the answer to a question on the 740iL I just bought

Because I wanted more answers.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

Active right away.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

Didn't lurk, but have found the group to be very forthcoming with information and help as a new owner. Definitely one of the better forums I've been on thus far.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I have been here for many years, but that was through other cars aso I consider myself new here. I just picked up my first BMW, a 740il in black with 80k on it - this makes car #51 for me so I've been around the auto world quite a bit.

My current cars are
    2000 Jaguar XJ8
    1998 BMW 740iL
    1997 Jeep Wrangler
    1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo
    1930 Ford HotRod

Not sure what I am going to do with the 7, but I don't leave stuff alone.

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? Just picked up my first BMW

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Plan to be active, never lurked.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? N/A
    Last edited by probesport; 02-19-2014 at 10:17 AM.

My Cars
    1997 740i
    I started at e38.org and finally graduated to bimmerforum
    2. needed specific info to my own dilemma
    3.more of a lurker
    4. probably felt my ignorance and pessimism would be disheartening to others

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740IL
    Searching for a resource to help me take care of my BMW 740iL. I would search come here, go there. Did e38.org, found your mobile app and been posting ever since. It was mostly just finally being able to reach the forum thru a different medium. It makes accessing the site and posting easier.

My Cars
    2001 E38 728i M-Sport

Googlings

I got fed up with japanese rust buckets and picked up a E38 M Spowt

Started Posting right away....BUT CANT POST PICS!!! ARGHHH!!!

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?
    So far everyones lovely and friendly

Other Comments....

Get a stanced section going on...seems like stance is getting not much of a mention when its big both in UK, US Europe Japan...

My Cars
    E34M30
    I've been here more than 6 months, but you seem to want answers from people. So:

BF.c is frequently pointed out as being a primary resource for E21 owners. Especially with the older and less loved models, having the sections for each individual version allows for a very particular set of information to be easily accessible, with quick answers from people knowledgable in that particular topic.

To ask questions.

I'm still not an active poster, so it's fair to say I lurk more than post.

The community is forthcoming with help, but it's important not to join and have your first post be
    "JST BAUGHT ME 1ST CAR ITS 318 HOW DO I SWAP IN M3 ENGINE?"
    -Roger
    1989 535i/m
    MUCH AWESOME, SO WOW, FAST TOO

1. Found you in google.
    2. The universe.has blessed me with an '88 735i one owner with 80k. Knowledge is power. This site is helpful.

3. Active day 2. As a retiree, enjoy meeting members and gaining knowledge on repairs(dash readout).:-)

I am looking forward to learning and meeting members.

DJ in Phoenix, AZ.

Found the site on google search. Wanted to learn more about my car. I lurked around for a bit as I had little constructive to contribute.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740IL
    Found the site when researching information on my car.

I decided to join because I have allot of unanswered questions regarding fixing up my car. The previous owner was the cheapest component.

I lurked, for a few months now, sucking up information like a sponge.

I lurked because I am a little anti-social and I feel that communicating with strangers over the internet can be misleading and impersonal.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    1. I found out about the forum while doing some research on the 1988 735i that I just picked up for free (found sealed in a garage in a foreclosed home)
    2. I joined because it will allow me to actually talk to people who know (or don't, haha) what they're talking about, and get help from those people.
    3. Just joined a few minutes ago, so you could say I'm active, but until I have a question that can't be answered by a search or I need to find someone to sell me parts, I don't imagine I'll post a whole lot.

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 1997 528i
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google search

2. Why did you decide to join? Need to ask questions now and will undoubtedly need to in the future

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Joined after a few days.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? N/A

My Cars
    2011 WRX Hatch
    Google.

The community appeared to be mature.

This is my first post. I lurked for weeks prior to signing up.

Every time I would google a question, Bimmerforums would be at the top of the results, generally with the answer I wanted. I knew that I wanted a luxury vehicle for my next project car. I wasn't certain that I wanted a BMW yet. Once my decision was made, I signed up here as a kind of "pre-emptive strike" against any future issues. Sadly, I'm still a few years out from picking up my project, but I'd like to start getting a bit more involved with the community.

My Cars
    03 745i, 03 330xi, SLK
    Hello. Thanks for this great site and giving your time to help me understand the things that will make this car a great experience. I've worked on my own cars my whole life but this appears to be at a whole new level. I've got the time because this isn't my primary car and if it breaks, I've got time to "try" to fix it
    Answers your poll
    1. Searched internet for BMW Forums
    2. I just picked up a 03 745i this month and have been reading all over the internet about the issues and solutions. I joined another forum that ends in "fest" and was chastised by a moderator via PM for asking for opinions on a product that wasn't sold by a sponsor or found searching in the forum. I no longer visit that forum.
    I have learned some great info that I can share if needed and would also like to share my personal experiences with this car.
    3/4. I lurked just long enough to see that this was a forum that had good contributions from the group and great to see the BMW tech info

My Cars
    e32 m60/1
    Looked for information about puzzling issues resolving for mine e32 and e36. Unfortunately, russian language forums are not enough to get a lot of information. And now I'm sattisfied to be a member of "bimmerforums".

Want to share experience and knowledges, get knowledges and communicate with bmw fans

I've read this forum before, but linked up now only

My Cars
    1996 BMW 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

Answers:
    1. google.com
    2. I bought a broken bimmer
    3. Active right away
    4. I didn't "lurk". I'm actually pretty knowledgeable with all things mechanical. I've worked on a few BMW's over the years, but not many compared to the vehicles I usually repair. I've been a mechanic for over 20 years, but most of the machines I work on are Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Saturn, Hyundai, VW, ect, ect. I've worked on all kinds, all makes, all sizes I've worked on BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Porsche, lots of Corvette's. I've worked on lawn mowers from the size of "man-powered reel mowers" to 6 foot mowers and the tractor their attached to. I've worked on mopeds, skid-steers, guns, computers, boats (inboards & outboards), jet skies, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, street bikes, ATV's, blah, blah, blah.

But the reason I joined this forum is not because of what I already know, but because I know I will learn MORE here and perhaps be able to help someone else in exchange for the knowledge.

My Cars
    1995 E38 740iL, 2005 E53
    I've been a member for nearly 6 years, but I mainly lurk and learn. And learn and learn more. If I have anything useful to add, I will, but most people have covered everything. So I'll continue to lurk, and research... and learn.
    This is my first stop for anything related to my cars... always has been.
    05 e53 X5 4.4i
    03 e53 X5 3.0d
    95 e38 740iL (sold)
    93 e32 730i (sold)
    90 e32 735iL (sold)
    92 e34 535is(sold)
    89 e34 525 m20 to m30b35 conversion(sold)

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.

(Sorry iceman I've been a member for a while ...... )

1. Search results often had information and discussions from these forums.

2. Mostly due to getting feedback and input from others with similar proclivities.
    Its pretty cool to have a sounding board for my ongoing e38 issues.

3. Active poster right away...... I mean why not? All we ever really want is for someone to be interested and share our ideas.

4. Regarding lurking. Well..... this is a public forum so I expect some different opinions. Some are a little harsh, some helpful. I think this is a good interface for experts and amateurs. Though I've met some amatures that know alot!!!
    Last edited by daniels635turbo; 08-30-2014 at 10:57 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E38 Sport
    How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? well, after I got my 740i. Help'd me research before i bought. I.E common problems/easy fixes.
    Why did you decide to join? Why not. my mom always told me associate with people you have something in common with lol
    "LURKER!"

Hey, I love my 01 740i....you guys have helped me a ton..PRICELESS!

My Cars
    2004 745i, 2012 750Li
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? BMWCCA

2. Why did you decide to join? I have owned a BMW for last 11 years

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? active when i need help! sometimes I forget to check back, had an acct in past, but lost user name & password.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Nosey Were we forthcoming in our help? Don't recall, but I am back so I'd say yes. Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

My Cars
    1995 740IL
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? after the purchase of a 740IL with a bad engine, many, many, many searches for information. bimmerforums was the first to come up.

2. Why did you decide to join? figured it was time that I could actually contribute something.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? see number 1. lurked, sponging for information for 6 months.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? perhaps the latter. I came from the Honda club and didn't know squat about BMWs. knew enough about mechanics, just not all of the quirks that come with a BMW.
    In my observation of the group, it seems there is a good group of people who are genuinely willing to share and help.

Chris

My Cars
    97 740i, 85 745, 86 635
    [QUOTE=IcemanBHE;18451520]There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google search years ago

2. Why did you decide to join? Badly needed help!

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? For a few days, just to get the "tone" of the board!

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? I have been playing with Bimmers now for 20 years, mostly E23 (745i's) E24 and E30, so this was my first experience with the V8. I am not afraid of looking stupid so it hasn't held me back at all :-)

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750LI
    06' 750LI

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Was in VWforum prior

2. Why did you decide to join? Good place to share stories or get answers

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Active

Having an issue posting a pict. Can only find an insert picture which requires a URL, but nothing from my desk top, what gives???

My Cars
    740iL
    Recently purchased the 740iL with what I hope are the common problems, I was led to the site after asking google questions. I typically join the forums after I purchase a new used car. I am fond of the format and usually find my answers from fellow owners that have suffered before me. I lurked for just a couple of days.

Thanks for running a great site,
    Jack

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast